Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3G iPhone Thread - [sourcing Qs / news about 3G iPhone here *ONLY* !!!]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,931 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

noblestee wrote: »
    Can either of you expand? Im waiting for stocks to replenish before i start driving from store to store like everyone else seems to be and want it because of the ipod feature but mainly the mobile browser, it looks great.

But if i have to have it for 18 months i need to think about this properly first. Would you have any advice as to why you think 'its not all that' after owning it for some time? thanks

I wrote my review of it a few pages back if ya wanna have a read. Although it's a great phone and gadget it has more bad things than good things. Maybe that's why o2 insist on an 18 month contract.

P.S it took me five attempts to post this from my iPhone because since updating to the holy Grail that is 2.1 my internet is patchy to say the least.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,582 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

only took you four by the looks of it! would disagree strongly, it has many more good points than bad. in fact most of the bad ones don't affect me at all.

2.1 has made a fair bit of difference to me. much more solid 3G connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

It horses for courses noblestee, imo no one device will serve all my needs but I have found a compromise I have a 16gb Iphone 3G for all my connectivity needs and I have Sony w810i for quick blind free meteor to meteor texting and free calls.

The Iphone is a great device and as apps become available I am finding more and more uses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

thanks lads. Up until recently i've been changing my phone quite a bit to whatever new phone has most features. P1i, N95, N73 etc... but a few weeks back I looked at my phone and realised i use about €45-50 a month on vodafone, and the only things I use are internet, music player and phone/text. I dont need all the fancy features. I think ive taken about 12 pics with my N95 and im quite into photography so have a decent SLR, so would never rely on the phones camera.
    I think the iphone is the best device for mobile internet, just wanted to make sure ive researched this properly, cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭ChRoMe

For what its worth to anyone considering getting the iphone, I've been extremely impressed with it so far. If stuff like mms and a full bluetooth stack are important to you maybe there is a better phone suited for your needs. But for the internet addicts the fact that i get full colour quick response VNC connections along with a excellent mobile browser justifies it on its own.

My only disappointment had been battery life (even when being conservative by switching off 3g and turning down the brightness). So far the 2.1 update has seemed to dramatically improve the battery life along with that the menu's are faster

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

thanks chrome thats what i needed to hear, now to begin the hunt for a shop stock.

It seems from reading here that everyone who does eventually get a handset picks them up in an o2 store. Should I avoid checking carphone warehouse stores altogether or are they getting stock just as often/unpredictably as o2 stores?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

noblestee wrote: »
    Should I avoid checking carphone warehouse stores altogether or are they getting stock just as often/unpredictably as o2 stores?
    From my experience yes

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭andrewh5

The jailbreak for v2.1 software/firmware upgrade is already out :D

Go here.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

Anyone experiencing really slow 3g today?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

lads felt I have to post to address some off the boo boy issuesre o2 and the iPhone (I don't work for them). I pre-ordered my o2 iPhone on the first day you could, and on launch date I got a 16GB black iPhone from o2, on an upgrade.

I have found the iPhone to be excellant as I don't use MMS but love the full web browser and having all my iTouch facilities on a phone, really helps with the long commutes.

I wouldn't give it up for the world.

• Advertisement

Mr. X wrote: »
    Anyone experiencing really slow 3g today?

yep, i have 5 bars of 3G but nothing will download.

I have full 3G but can't even open a webpage. I thought it was the "upgrade" to 2.1 because for me the web has been shoddy ever since. any one else having this trouble. I keep having to restart my phone to get it to connect

Same here, I have full bars, but nothing in Safari will load or App store.

Suprisingly though Mail works.

Same here lad, is this an issue with o2, I rang them about 30 mins ago they said they had no reported 3G problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

Anyone have internet connectivity problems since the 2.1 update should try this:

(found on o2 forum)
    Go to Settings
    General
    Network
    Cellular Data Network

The access point name is internet
    Change this to open.internet
    Username is iphone
    Password is password

Remove the username and password
    Now go back out of it to save and try again and all should be fine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭ant043

guys I had this problem earlier. The 2.1 upgrade messed up some peoples Internet settings. Go to settings then general then cellular data network and change the apn to open.Internet.

don't believe that could be it, I upgraded to 2.1 on Friday and everything was workinbg perfectly until this morning?

edit - although that change did sort it, didn't remove username or password though, just did ants change above.
    Can't see how this was a 2.1 thing as it was only this morning that things changed for me as if someone from 02 made
    a change when they got to work today.

Anyone have internet connectivity problems since the 2.1 update should try this:

(found on o2 forum)
    It seems ok now, cheers for the advice Lee baby, I will update on how this fix works out cheers :)

Mr. X wrote: »
    It seems ok now, cheers for the advice Lee baby, I will update on how this fix works out cheers :)
    The only reason it has come to my attention this morning was, I aint been out the house since the update and would have used my WiFi rather than 3g.

(found on o2 forum)
    Worked for me.. thanks a million mate. I was about five mintues from hopping it off a wall

• Advertisement

Worked for me.. thanks a million mate. I was about five mintues from hopping it off a wall
    HAHAHAHA same here :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭vms7ply9t6dw4b

andrewh5 wrote: »
    The jailbreak for v2.1 software/firmware upgrade is already out :D

Go here.
    Does that unlock aswell or just jailbreak?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

Does that unlock aswell or just jailbreak?

No, just jailbreak

No, just jailbreak

It will jailbreak and activate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭bluemachaveli

Never Mind

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

andrewh5 wrote: »
    It will jailbreak and activate.
    It wont however make tea

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

ChRoMe wrote: »
    ...My only disappointment had been battery life (even when being conservative by switching off 3g and turning down the brightness). So far the 2.1 update has seemed to dramatically improve the battery life along with that the menu's are faster

What battery life are you getting?

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭zorch

Guy's can someone reccommend an unlock sim for the 3G iPhone - one that supports 3G etc - dont want to ge burned...

Thanks,

zorch wrote: »
    Guy's can someone reccommend an unlock sim for the 3G iPhone - one that supports 3G etc - dont want to ge burned...

Thanks,

Universal SIM. Look Here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭OCD

BostonB wrote: »
    What battery life are you getting?

sorry to hijack this one but since the 2.1 upgrade my battery has been brilliant too.

so far:
    Usage: 5 hours, 5 mins
    Standby: 1 day, 2 hours

and still have 1/2 battery left.

edit: that is with wi-fi on for 16 hours per day, at least 1 hour ipod and normal phone use, text and internet.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement