Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3G iPhone Thread - [sourcing Qs / news about 3G iPhone here *ONLY* !!!]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

carrotcake wrote: »
    Unfortunately nobody's found out how to unlock the iPhone 3G yet, so that limits your options a bit.
    Does this still stand?

Friend asked me did i know of any where to unlock them.

Can someone explain what this jailbreak is? Does it unlock the phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,931 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

jozi wrote: »
    Does this still stand?

Friend asked me did i know of any where to unlock them.

Can someone explain what this jailbreak is? Does it unlock the phone?
    Jailbreak just gives you access to the internal file system of the phone and is kind of pointless unless ya know how to use it. It also lets you access and use certain 3rd party applications not approved by Apple.

It does not unlock it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

andrewh5 wrote: »
    Universal SIM. Look Here.

I thought this might work better, has good reports too.
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Unlock-3G-iPhone-3G-TurboSIM-Turbo-SIM-No-Need-Cut-Card_W0QQitemZ330267595004QQcmdZViewItem
    + no silly hacking of the sim card!

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭andrewh5

I thought this might work better, has good reports too.
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Unlock-3G-iPhone-3G-TurboSIM-Turbo-SIM-No-Need-Cut-Card_W0QQitemZ330267595004QQcmdZViewItem
    + no silly hacking of the sim card!

I use the universal sim and have no problems. V5.50 is very stable and the sim card can be cut with a hole punch without problem. I have tried a few of them out there and Universal sim is the best so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Minto

Ok, I'm sure this has been asked before in the thread. Say I want to get an unlocked iPhone, but don't want to get a jailbroken one. Should I buy it from either Italy or Australia (the two countries that seem to sell an unlocked version) or is there a different way? Has anyone done it this way?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 Hairyass

This may sound stoopid, but is it possible to forward a sms on the iphone 3g??

I dont know where to start when it comes to mms and bluetooth. :mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭wayne040576

Hairyass wrote: »
    This may sound stoopid, but is it possible to forward a sms on the iphone 3g??

I dont know where to start when it comes to mms and bluetooth. :mad::mad:

No the iphone doesn't allow you to forward sms. Another basic feature missing from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,877 ✭✭✭✭Basq

No the iphone doesn't allow you to forward sms. Another basic feature missing from it.
    But another feature available after jail-breaking! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Mike Tyson

Anyone have any info on availability. O2 stores dont seem to have a scooby doo and Im eager to sort myself out with one.

Cheers lads

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

This may have been asked a thousand times but if I buy an iPhone from the states can I unlock it for Ireland ??

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

T-K-O wrote: »
    This may have been asked a thousand times but if I buy an iPhone from the states can I unlock it for Ireland ??

Yes it has and no you can't. There currently isn't a software unlock available for the iphone 3G.

We should just stick the answer to this question in the thread title so it isn't asked every single page :D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

We should just stick the answer to this question in the thread title so it isn't asked every single page :D:D:D:D

Along with what Jailbreaking does...........................Google is your friend people.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

It's not easy going through 156 pages.

I agree with 1 thread to cover anything iphone instead of having numerous iphone related threads but it's next to imposible to quickly find something here without going through pages upon pages. Maybe a FAQ is in order?

I agree about the FAQ idea, but in reference to some questions, particularly the american iPhone working here the answer to that is available on nearly all of the 156 pages so if we went back through the 5 most recent pages he'd find a more thorough answer than the one sentence one he justifiably got here.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

I really think we need a sub forum for the iphone, people came having to ask the same questions but all the info is in one page

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭runswithascript

I want to buy an iPhone here when 02 release it on Pay & Go before Christmas but as far as credit plans are concerned Meteor offer cheaper call charges, free voicemail and also free texts to any network.

I wanted to buy a new SIM today and I was wondering if I go with Meteor will I be able to use all of the iPhone's features like visual voicemail etc if I buy from 02 and then unlock and change network?

Also please create a forum for iPhone where you can create stickies etc. This post is too large.

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭CivilEx

I'm having a problem at the moment with Exchange mail where I forward a mail and only the header is attached? The body of the message is not included. Has anyone come across this? Forwarding an internal mail is not a problem (all the text is included), but this one external mail I cannot forward!

• Subscribers Posts: 16,582 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

hmmm, sometimes you get mails that are actually blank and there is a .txt attachment that is the message. Maybe it isn't forwarding with the mail?

LA3G wrote: »
    I want to buy an iPhone here when 02 release it on Pay & Go before Christmas but as far as credit plans are concerned Meteor offer cheaper call charges, free voicemail and also free texts to any network.

I wanted to buy a new SIM today and I was wondering if I go with Meteor will I be able to use all of the iPhone's features like visual voicemail etc if I buy from 02 and then unlock and change network?

Also please create a forum for iPhone where you can create stickies etc. This post is too large.

With a SIM adaptor you will be able to use all of Meteor's facilities although you will need to sign up to a data package - currently €9.99pm for 250MB and €30pm unlimited. They do not have 3G as yet but it is coming.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Columba Rad

I'm going to the USA soon, how much will it cost me to buy a 3G iPhone? How do I buy it, credit card, cash??? :o

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Villain wrote: »
    I really think we need a sub forum for the iphone, people came having to ask the same questions but all the info is in one page
    I think people are just a too afraid to post in the general forum, when they see this enormous thread. There aren't enormous threads for every other phone model - people just search for the answer in some short threads and post a new one otherwise. The problem is the search function ceases to be useful when a thread gets that big.

I think this thread needs to be retired - with one new thread with an FAQ, which maybe allows updates on availability.

Then any NEW questions about the iPhone can be posted like any other new questions about a nokia, motorola etc.

My 0.02c :)

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭CivilEx

copacetic wrote: »
    hmmm, sometimes you get mails that are actually blank and there is a .txt attachment that is the message. Maybe it isn't forwarding with the mail?
    This one reads as if it is part of the main text of the message, but with attachments you have the option of forwarding the attachment with the message in any case. If we had cut and paste we could work around this and copy the original message into a new mail.

I had to go back to my iPAQ to send this particular message.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 future.music

I have phone insurance so I'm entitled to a replacement but what I'd like to know is: has anyone been in the same boat? How long will I have to wait to get a replacement given limited supply, etc.

Is it like asking "how long is a piece of string" or does anyone have an idea?

(By the way, it's useless asking O2 about this because it's the insurance company that are responsible for replacing the phone.)

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭jcrowbar

I have phone insurance so I'm entitled to a replacement but what I'd like to know is: has anyone been in the same boat? How long will I have to wait to get a replacement given limited supply, etc.

Is it like asking "how long is a piece of string" or does anyone have an idea?

(By the way, it's useless asking O2 about this because it's the insurance company that are responsible for replacing the phone.)

It took them about three weeks to get a replacement sent to me, but that was just after launch, when stocks were at their lowest.

I'd imagine it wouldn't be as long now. You have to hound them though, as in daily calls. Don't waste your time with email.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 future.music

jcrowbar wrote: »
    It took them about three weeks to get a replacement sent to me, but that was just after launch, when stocks were at their lowest.

I'd imagine it wouldn't be as long now. You have to hound them though, as in daily calls. Don't waste your time with email.

Thanks for the info. What makes you say that I have to hound them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭vms7ply9t6dw4b

Just ordered a universal sim and asked him to config it for the iphone am i likely to need a usb sim card reader? Will any usb sim card reader/writer do?

Thanks

P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

Dades wrote: »
    I think people are just a too afraid to post in the general forum, when they see this enormous thread. There aren't enormous threads for every other phone model - people just search for the answer in some short threads and post a new one otherwise. The problem is the search function ceases to be useful when a thread gets that big.

I think this thread needs to be retired - with one new thread with an FAQ, which maybe allows updates on availability.

Then any NEW questions about the iPhone can be posted like any other new questions about a nokia, motorola etc.

My 0.02c :)

Yep, also when a thread gets so large, much of the older info in it is no longer relevant.

Perhaps a sub forum in here or in OS>Mac is the way to go.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Thanks for the info. What makes you say that I have to hound them?
    It took me 6 weeks of hounding and an appeal process to get CPW to give me a new nokia 6300.

The key word here is "unattended". Under no circumstances give the insurance company grounds to describe the phone as "unattended" when it was stolen - as it is their catch-all claim denial in the T&Cs. I'd imagine the O2 insurance co operates in the same way.

To be fair to the guy who sold me my iPhone in CPW Henry St - he said if it was ever stolen to come to him and he would ensure the claim wasn't worded in such a way as to be denied.

You have been warned!

• Advertisement

Just ordered a universal sim and asked him to config it for the iphone am i likely to need a usb sim card reader? Will any usb sim card reader/writer do?

Thanks

P

They will configure it for v5.50 for the iphone 3G which is very stable. I bought the reader/writer they sell but it is just a bog standards SIM card reader/writer so any should work with their update software. If they send it pre-configured you won't need a reader/writer until it needs upgrading.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement