Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3G iPhone Thread - [sourcing Qs / news about 3G iPhone here *ONLY* !!!]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Started my search for the 3G iphone the other day. Called a few o2 stores today. Apparently, something is being done about the stock problem. A guy told me that they would not be getting stock until all iphones are centralised, probably at a depot or something and then sent out to shops evenly. I'm not sure what this means, maybe in coming weeks, all shops will get equal stock? Anyone manage to get one anywhere recently?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭nanook

same as previous poster, I was searching for a couple of weeks and was dealing with a specific o2 store.

Called him today and he informed me that all stock is being recalled and that even if they have iphones in stock they are not to sell them.

Anyone know what this is all about.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 future.music

Dades wrote: »
    It took me 6 weeks of hounding and an appeal process to get CPW to give me a new nokia 6300.

The key word here is "unattended". Under no circumstances give the insurance company grounds to describe the phone as "unattended" when it was stolen - as it is their catch-all claim denial in the T&Cs. I'd imagine the O2 insurance co operates in the same way.

To be fair to the guy who sold me my iPhone in CPW Henry St - he said if it was ever stolen to come to him and he would ensure the claim wasn't worded in such a way as to be denied.

You have been warned!

The O2 iPhone insurance also covers loss as well as theft so I think I should be ok on that score...?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

The O2 iPhone insurance also covers loss as well as theft so I think I should be ok on that score...?
    So does the CPW scheme...

Just be very careful what you say on the claim statement. i.e., did you lose it by mislaying it somewhere (stolen while unattended!)? Was there undue care or negligence involved? And never say you left it in a car...! Check your T&Cs if you can!

Oh, and you generally have to report it to the cops within 24hrs. If you haven't done so - revise the time of loss to fit this timeframe... ;)

Good luck. :)

Dades wrote: »
    So does the CPW scheme...

Just be very careful what you say on the claim statement. i.e., did you lose it by mislaying it somewhere (stolen while unattended!)? Was there undue care or negligence involved? And never say you left it in a car...! Check your T&Cs if you can!

Oh, and you generally have to report it to the cops within 24hrs. If you haven't done so - revise the time of loss to fit this timeframe... ;)

Good luck. :)

I think I may be f*cked. I think the phone fell out of my pocket whilst i was in a cubicle in the toilets at Dublin Airport. A minute after leaving the toilets I realised it was missing and went back. It was gone. I called it from a public phone and it went straight to voicemail - it wasn't set to this the last time I used it.

Does this qualify as lack of "due care and negligence"?

I've just checked the t&c of the insurance online - apparently you're not covered for any claim in the first 60 days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭andrewh5

I think I may be f*cked. I think the phone fell out of my pocket whilst i was in a cubicle in the toilets at Dublin Airport. A minute after leaving the toilets I realised it was missing and went back. It was gone. I called it from a public phone and it went straight to voicemail - it wasn't set to this the last time I used it.

Does this qualify as lack of "due care and negligence"?

I've just checked the t&c of the insurance online - apparently you're not covered for any claim in the first 60 days.
    The first thing anyone stealing a mobi will do is turn it off - hence why it went to Voice mail.

How come you didn't hear it hit the floor?

andrewh5 wrote: »
    The first thing anyone stealing a mobi will do is turn it off - hence why it went to Voice mail.

How come you didn't hear it hit the floor?

Yeah, that's what i've been wondering too. All I know is this: I was using the phone before i went into the Gents, I put it in my pocket, I leave the Gents and walk towards the security screening area, i put my hand down to my pocket and it was gone. I suppose someone might have pickpocketed me but I can't be certain.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Hmmm.

Might be worthwhile searching here. There's a few threads on insurance that might give you ideas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭runswithascript

andrewh5 wrote: »
    With a SIM adaptor you will be able to use all of Meteor's facilities although you will need to sign up to a data package - currently €9.99pm for 250MB and €30pm unlimited. They do not have 3G as yet but it is coming.

Yes all of Meteor's but I'm inquring about all of the iPhone's like visual voice mail and whatever other novelties it's capable of. If I'm having to pay €9.99pm/€30pm for data transfer would that involve a contract or is it casual because if the former I could just go with 02 perhaps. One of the reasons I'm attracted to Meteor is the base call price per minute of 29c across all networks/landlines.

Since I'd just be in work where there are many Wi-Fi networks, at home where I could set up a little wireless network and around the city centre where I understand there to be a lot of hotspots, could one get by using just WiFi? 3G would be nice to have when I really needed it but I really don't want to sign a contract. It makes me sick to think of how Americans get unlimited data transfer and free visual voicemail.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

LA3G wrote: »
    free visual voicemail.

Visual voicemail is not available in Ireland, even with an official contract with O2. The feature is network dependent and has never been offered by O2 so far - it was the same for the first generation iPhone. Other countries have followed suit and can't be a***d to offer it to their customers even when their "deals" are complete rip-offs when compared to the American plans...

• Advertisement

J-blk wrote: »
    Visual voicemail is not available in Ireland, even with an official contract with O2. The feature is network dependent and has never been offered by O2 so far

Does this mean that I won't lose any other iPhone features by using it on another network then?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

As far as I know, visual voicemail is the only feature you can't get on an "unofficial" network - which is a moot point here, since we can't get it even with the official network. Everything else should work just fine with a data package from any carrier (though I think Meteor only has EDGE coverage, no 3G) or even WiFi only if you don't really want Internet access on the go (in fact, I used my first generation iPhone this way for a year, since I had WiFi coverage at work/home/college and saw no real need for a data package).

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭theliam

aight, first of all appologies, i know this has been asked. ive spent ages reading threads and forums and different sites but i cant find a definite answer.

so here goes - my dad bought an iphone 3g from ebay and wants me to get it working for him. it was bought from england but dunno if it originated there...

how do i activate it? do i need a rebel sim or is there another way?

how to unlock it? if theres no freeware, what software is worth paying for to unlock it and will do it properly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭Burago

So is anyone going to buy a PAYG 3G iPhone from O2 in the North and unlock it?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Burago wrote: »

I was thinking of this but even with PAYG, will there be some kind of contract? I have a sweet deal on Vodafone and have been eyeing up ebay since launch, but the prices still aren't right. I have a 1st gen iPhone but the lack of 3G is annoying me to no end

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭Burago

I'd imagine with PAYG you'd just walk into an O2 store, hand over £399 and walk out with an iPhone.

Isn't it going to be released here by 02 PAYG before christmas?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,336 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I can't go through 158 pages to find this out:

If you sign up to O2 for the 18 months contract, can the iPhone 3G be then unlocked to use on another network or is it permanently locked to O2?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

I can't go through 158 pages to find this out:

If you sign up to O2 for the 18 months contract, can the iPhone 3G be then unlocked to use on another network or is it permanently locked to O2?
    O2 will not provide any assistant in unlocking the phone. Neither will Apple. You can use any O2 IE SIM card in it. If you pursue other methods that's your problem if things go wrong etc.
    Source: O2 Customer Forum Staff

• Registered Users Posts: 14,336 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Random wrote: »
    O2 will not provide any assistant in unlocking the phone. Neither will Apple. You can use any O2 IE SIM card in it. If you pursue other methods that's your problem if things go wrong etc.
    Source: O2 Customer Forum Staff

I meant after your 18 month contract is up otherwise it is effectively a permanent contract to use O2

• Advertisement

I meant after your 18 month contract is up otherwise it is effectively a permanent contract to use O2
    My answer applys to "after your 18 month contract is up".

See This thread and This Response which might provide a glimmer of "hope" for you but might also be a "go away and come back in 18 months" answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

I'd imagine with PAYG you'd just walk into an O2 store, hand over £399 and walk out with an iPhone.

Which is just what I have done here today, in london, in an O2 shop.

they didnt even ask for name and address........!!!!

The phone works with other O2UK sims once activated but not with Irish O2 SIMS.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Don't quote me on this, but I believe that's illegal. They have to unlock the phone once the contract is up, same way they have to let you move your number to another network.

I guess we'll see come November 2009 when the first original iPhones will have gone over the 18 months.

OK, I have successfully upgraded my jailbroken iphone 3G to v2.1.

I had to re-pwn it to v2.01, then restore a custom v2.02 file then finally restore a custom v2.1 file. Long winded maybe but it works!

2.1 no longer has that awful lag when you open apps, contacts etc. Ipod is also more stable and scrolls faster in album cover view.

As to battery life we shall see but the signal strength is a lot better and more stable so far.

If people already have a pwn'ed iphone on v2.02 then the way to do the upgrade can be found here together with the link to download the customised v2.1 file.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Mike Tyson

For those looking to get hands on one: Email from O2; retail not selling iPhones til Oct. 1st, "After this date the situation will be reviewed again but there are no promises that it will even be on sale after that date."

If anyone has any other info on them let us know

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭carrotcake

Fantastic organisation from O2 there.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Why is there a problem now with the distribution of the iPhones? Is it because the O2 network can't handle the amount of them so far?

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭CivilEx

carrotcake wrote: »
    Fantastic organisation from O2 there.

I have a sense from reading around a few forums that the O2 3G network is struggling under the load at present from both mobile broadband and iPhone 3G users and that technicians are scurrying around the Country keeping the system propped up where it is running short of capacity?

• Advertisement

I have two Rebel SIMcards (programmed to v33) and a sim card programmer available for sale for €30 the lot. If anyone is interested drop me a PM.

Company site.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement