Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3G iPhone Thread - [sourcing Qs / news about 3G iPhone here *ONLY* !!!]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

You dont need to be a o2 customer i registered with my Meteor number and worked.

With regards got a reply from o2:

Re: 3G iPhone
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PowerHouseDan View Post
    I also want to point in the fact o2 ie charge for voicemail is a DISGRACE!!!! The fact ye don't supply visual voicemail and have the cheek to Charge for standard.

Daryll
    Just to clarify our new price plans do not charge for voicemail and also visual voicemail it a technical issue that we are trying to set up for the near future.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭dmn

that would have been a fantastic idea...just buy them like you would an ipod....ohhh how we like to have things our own way.... lol

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

Yep. An iphone just sold for 250 on adverts.ie.

Its coming down down down :D

iphones for all!

You dont need to be a o2 customer i registered with my Meteor number and worked.

With regards got a reply from o2:

Re: 3G iPhone
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PowerHouseDan View Post
    I also want to point in the fact o2 ie charge for voicemail is a DISGRACE!!!! The fact ye don't supply visual voicemail and have the cheek to Charge for standard.

Daryll
    Just to clarify our new price plans do not charge for voicemail and also visual voicemail it a technical issue that we are trying to set up for the near future.

I tried registering again just now and after I checked my email to activate my account I got this:
    Thank you for registering, *****. Your account has been submitted for moderation by an administrator and will be activated shortly. You will be notified by email when this happens. To return to the forums, click here.

But I got this a few weeks ago also and they ended up emailing me back saying that I wouldnt be registered as I was not an O2 customer...hmmm so let's see if it works now

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Chinese Mafia

I think that was enough time I'll slip back into the shadows

• Advertisement

*removed quoted message to keep someones identity a secret lol*

Ahh, at least we know O2 have an eye on this forum. sure that's all we wanted :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭-DuMbGuM-

dmn wrote: »
    that would have been a fantastic idea...just buy them like you would an ipod....ohhh how we like to have things our own way.... lol

Yeah they can't make anything simple ! locked iPhones, bogus price plans, crap data limitation, no pay as you go as of yet for us paddies :rolleyes:. Apple havent been all good either, i'd imagine copy & paste couldn't be that hard a feature to create? The Sony Ericcsson one is always handy! But still, the new iPhone is a niccce piece of kit!

Hey Guys with regards the o2 forum. My Bad, i actually registered with my 085 number first but changed it to my 086 number before it was sent to be validated but didnt relis.So you do actually need a valid 086 number sorry for the confusion.

My Bad

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭redman

womoma wrote: »
    Yep. An iphone just sold for 250 on adverts.ie.

Its coming down down down :D

iphones for all!

Won't be long when you'll get them for €100.....
    just wait till July, esp with the free model coming out on highest plan etc....

That will have nothing to do with it, and also there is no free model with highest plan ok in uk.
    redman wrote: »
    Won't be long when you'll get them for €100.....
    just wait till July, esp with the free model coming out on highest plan etc....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭redman

That will have nothing to do with it, and also there is no free model with highest plan ok in uk.

I believe it will

The main factor that will cause the 1st gen iphones to drop or go up all depends on if it will be possible to buy one without a contract.

redman wrote: »
    I believe it will

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭danger mouse

Gonna wait for the release of the nok n96 in August TBH. the people at apple and O2 really left me with a bad taste in my mouth. After i sent my Iphone for repair and it got lost. Taking 2 months to get a replacement which only arrived today (o2 ***** refused to replace it) Apple had to step in and send me a new one after 20 phone calls..Thank god i know someone in O2 that lowered my contract commitment to zero and ported off that sham of a network for free last week.

it defo seems like O2 are reviewing the data cap!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

The only thing that would make me want to get a contract with o2 is unlimited data plan (or at very least 5 gigs of data)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭MacBuster

I wonder if O2 users who have the current iPhone on contract avail of this one at a lesser price ???

• Subscribers Posts: 16,582 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

MacBuster wrote: »
    I wonder if O2 users who have the current iPhone on contract avail of this one at a lesser price ???

if they sign up to a new 18 month contract they can get it at the same price as everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Gekko

even the cheapest contract is going to work out at just under €1000.

looks like unlocked UK PAYG ones will be the way to go

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭MacBuster

copacetic wrote: »
    if they sign up to a new 18 month contract they can get it at the same price as everyone else.

Unlike the US I think were they have to sign up again for 18 Months and the iPhone is a nominal price if not free

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 30knots

Gonna wait for the release of the nok n96 in August TBH. the people at apple and O2 really left me with a bad taste in my mouth. After i sent my Iphone for repair and it got lost. Taking 2 months to get a replacement which only arrived today (o2 ***** refused to replace it) Apple had to step in and send me a new one after 20 phone calls..Thank god i know someone in O2 that lowered my contract commitment to zero and ported off that sham of a network for free last week.

Man i cant believe that having the distribution rights for something so good has turned into something so bad. I reckon that vodafone & meteor combined couldn't of created more bad publicity for o2 if they tried :D

Wonder how cheated some of their customers are feeling now after shelling out an outrageous €500 for the 16gig & another 18 months of fun (not that i have any sympathy, even a simpleton could see they were being taken for a ride there)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭danger mouse

30knots wrote: »
    Man i cant believe that having the distribution rights for something so good has turned into something so bad. I reckon that vodafone & meteor combined couldn't of created more bad publicity for o2 if they tried :D

Wonder how cheated some of their customers are feeling now after shelling out an outrageous €500 for the 16gig & another 18 months of fun (not that i have any sympathy, even a simpleton could see they were being taken for a ride there)

Well i got mine through work alot cheaper but still. I would never buy another Apple product again.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭diarmy

One year on, my desire for the iPhone is still unwavering. However, it's O2 that's causing me to be without one now, and I'm sorry to say, unless drastic changes are made before July 11th, I won't have one when I want it either!

The costs for the tariffs are an absolute and total disgrace. O2 Ireland are taking the proverbial piss with this arrangement of screwing Irish customers while the UK customers get away with FREE iPhones on certain tariffs.

I know, people will say you can't compare UK & Ireland. But, €45 to me in Ireland is the same as £45 to an Englishman in England. We both work hard for it and yet, he gets more for his money.

I wholeheartedly OBJECT to the lack of Visual Voicemail in Ireland. O2 had almost a year on the US release to get this fairly simple thing working, and we've still got nothing a full year later.

We're still being forced to pay for voicemail on the iPhone tariffs *as of today on www.o2.ie*.

We have no option to upgrade with a discount for loyal O2 customers as we are entitled to with other phones and models.

We have no opportunity to get the iPhone on PAYG in Ireland.

We have no opportunity to get the iPhone at a reasonable price without paying a minimum of over €800 in monthly charges for over 18 months.

AND, unlike the USA, people who buy the iPhone v1.0 at present CANNOT currently upgrade to the iPhone 3G for free like they can in the USA.

So, my question to you all is.... how difficult would it be for us to get an iPhone over the counter in the North, pop in our Blackberry-tariffed SIM cards down south and work away on a nice cheap phone??

By the way, if O2 is watching this forum, read and follow this:

YOU HAVE THE OPPORTUNITY TO MAKE AN ABSOLUTE FORTUNE BY SELLING TO ENTERPRISE CUSTOMERS. CUT YOUR PRICES NOW BEFORE THEY RE-EVALUATE TO BLACKBERRY WHICH IS AVAILABLE ON OTHER OPERATORS' NETWORKS.

YOU ALSO HAVE THE OPPORTUNITY TO SOAK UP ALL THOSE CUSTOMERS YOU LOST TO METEOR WHEN YOU STARTED BEING CHILDISH AND PETTY ABOUT TEXT PRICING AND VOICEMAIL COSTS - REDUCE THE PRICES.

It's your call.

diarmy

• Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

diarmy wrote: »
    One year on, my desire for the iPhone is still unwavering. However, it's O2 that's causing me to be without one now, and I'm sorry to say, unless drastic changes are made before July 11th, I won't have one when I want it either!

The costs for the tariffs are an absolute and total disgrace. O2 Ireland are taking the proverbial piss with this arrangement of screwing Irish customers while the UK customers get away with FREE iPhones on certain tariffs.

I know, people will say you can't compare UK & Ireland. But, €45 to me in Ireland is the same as £45 to an Englishman in England. We both work hard for it and yet, he gets more for his money.

I wholeheartedly OBJECT to the lack of Visual Voicemail in Ireland. O2 had almost a year on the US release to get this fairly simple thing working, and we've still got nothing a full year later.

We're still being forced to pay for voicemail on the iPhone tariffs *as of today on www.o2.ie*.

We have no option to upgrade with a discount for loyal O2 customers as we are entitled to with other phones and models.

We have no opportunity to get the iPhone on PAYG in Ireland.

We have no opportunity to get the iPhone at a reasonable price without paying a minimum of over €800 in monthly charges for over 18 months.

AND, unlike the USA, people who buy the iPhone v1.0 at present CANNOT currently upgrade to the iPhone 3G for free like they can in the USA.

So, my question to you all is.... how difficult would it be for us to get an iPhone over the counter in the North, pop in our Blackberry-tariffed SIM cards down south and work away on a nice cheap phone??

By the way, if O2 is watching this forum, read and follow this:

YOU HAVE THE OPPORTUNITY TO MAKE AN ABSOLUTE FORTUNE BY SELLING TO ENTERPRISE CUSTOMERS. CUT YOUR PRICES NOW BEFORE THEY RE-EVALUATE TO BLACKBERRY WHICH IS AVAILABLE ON OTHER OPERATORS' NETWORKS.

YOU ALSO HAVE THE OPPORTUNITY TO SOAK UP ALL THOSE CUSTOMERS YOU LOST TO METEOR WHEN YOU STARTED BEING CHILDISH AND PETTY ABOUT TEXT PRICING AND VOICEMAIL COSTS - REDUCE THE PRICES.

It's your call.

diarmy

+1

Well said

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

The worst phone of '08 so far.

And all the lemmings will run to it pay ****loads of money for an O2 branded, locked and crippled phone because OMG IT HAS A TOUCH SCREEN AND DOES FUNKY ANIMATIONS!!!

but really its nothing to write home about compared to most E-series or n-series phones.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,566 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

towel401 wrote: »
    The worst phone of '08 so far.

And all the lemmings will run to it pay ****loads of money for an O2 branded, locked and crippled phone because OMG IT HAS A TOUCH SCREEN AND DOES FUNKY ANIMATIONS!!!

but really its nothing to write home about compared to most E-series or n-series phones.
    sorry to throw a extra lump of **** to your iphone **** storm, but whenever was the iphone O2 branded?

i have an iphone, i like it, there are a lot of things that could better it but i'd like to point this out.

nokia making mobile phones for 36 years (1972), apple making phones for 1 year (say 2 years R&D at max).

swingking wrote: »
    +1

Well said

Very well put!!! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

Do you think we'll be able to bring this in fom the US as before, since I assume it will be shipping with 2.0 on it?
    If it can be jailbroken (and no doubt it will), will the appstore still be available?

I suppose the best is to wait for a guinea pig to try first ;)

And a quick question on data at present. Is there anyway on the phone of seeing how much data you've used or left, in a month?

Anyone who has the present iphone how much data do you use on average over the network (not wifi obviously)? Do you think you'd use it more if you've 3g speeds?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭fbradyirl

lafors wrote: »
    Do you think we'll be able to bring this in fom the US as before, since I assume it will be shipping with 2.0 on it?
    If it can be jailbroken (and no doubt it will), will the appstore still be available?

Nope this wont be possible caus when you buy it in the US you will have to sign your life away on a contract with AT&T (I presume with your credit card details etc) before you leave the store.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭DRice

Quick simple iphone question -does it have a standard 3.5mm audio jack or if not is there a way of using my own earphones with it maybe via an adapter...very important!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭grodge

DRice wrote: »
    Quick simple iphone question -does it have a standard 3.5mm audio jack or if not is there a way of using my own earphones with it maybe via an adapter...very important!!!!!!!!

iPhone has a 3.5mm headphone jack but it is recessed into the phone, well it is on the old model not sure about the new one. i just got an craft knife out and shaved a bit of plastic off my sennheiser and sony headphones. quick and clean fix.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement