Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3G iPhone Thread - [sourcing Qs / news about 3G iPhone here *ONLY* !!!]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭Samsung

Is any one else getting phantom text messages?
    My tone goes off then i check to see if i have a text and there is nothing there. I just upgraded yesterday and it has happend since then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Mr Bloat

Samsung wrote: »
    My tone goes off then i check to see if i have a text and there is nothing there. I just upgraded yesterday and it has happend since then.

That just happened to me about an hour ago! I was texting my wife and after I had sent a text, my text tone went off. I presumed it was a reply but when I looked, there wasn't a text there. Spooky! :)

yea it is happening to my mate to.
    I rang 02 and they said they knew nothing about it and to take it up with apple.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

iTunes has just told me there are "updates to carrier settings" ready to download.

Anyone know about these?

yea i installed them also.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Mr Bloat wrote: »
    That just happened to me about an hour ago! I was texting my wife and after I had sent a text, my text tone went off. I presumed it was a reply but when I looked, there wasn't a text there. Spooky! :)
    Didn't the last firmware update change the text message alert setting?

Since I updated if I don't open a text on arrival, my text alert sounds again a few minutes later. I find it really handy tbh. Might be something you guys are experiencing.

Dades wrote: »

Since I updated if I don't open a text on arrival, my text alert sounds again a few minutes later. I find it really handy tbh. Might be something you guys are experiencing.

Hands up if you feel dumb!!

hands-up.png

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭theliam

theliam wrote: »
    aight, first of all appologies, i know this has been asked. ive spent ages reading threads and forums and different sites but i cant find a definite answer.

so here goes - my dad bought an iphone 3g from ebay and wants me to get it working for him. it was bought from england but dunno if it originated there...

how do i activate it? do i need a rebel sim or is there another way?

how to unlock it? if theres no freeware, what software is worth paying for to unlock it and will do it properly?

anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Mr Bloat

Dades wrote: »

Hands up if you feel dumb!!
    ]

*puts up hand*

Good catch, Dades.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭andrewh5

anyone?

There is no software unlock for the 3G. You will need to jailbreak it first to activate it and then use a sim adaptor.

Look here for info on jailbreaking and here for sim adaptors.

• Advertisement

andrewh5 wrote: »
    There is no software unlock for the 3G. You will need to jailbreak it first to activate it and then use a sim adaptor.

Look here for info on jailbreaking and here for sim adaptors.

thanks. it says, itunes 7.7 is needed but its link to apple obviously is now for 8.0. will this do or do i need to find 7.7

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

thanks. it says, itunes 7.7 is needed but its link to apple obviously is now for 8.0. will this do or do i need to find 7.7

I didnt downgrade, it works fine with itunes8.

Step One
    Create a folder on your desktop called Pwnage. Download and place in it Winpwn 2.5 (unzip it), bl39.bin , bl46.bin, and the latest 2.0.2 firmware file:

i cant download these files from http://www.iphone-hacks.com/forums/about1644.html

they wont work. where else can i get them?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,931 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I just logged onto App Store on my iphone and there sitting proud as punch at the top of the tree was 'EirText Pro' for E2.39. WTF!! Is everyone who already bought EirText just supposed to accept that we can't use it anymore since our update to 2.1. Are we meant to go now and spend more money on this? If we do how long will it last, till the next update?

Anyone else think this is a rip off?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭nanook

be fair. Someone developed this app and if you utilize the web texts then you will be quids in in no time

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭krinpit

nanook wrote: »
    be fair. Someone developed this app and if you utilize the web texts then you will be quids in in no time

That's no excuse. People have bought this app in good faith that it would always be supported on their handset.

What is Apple's standpoint on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭fbradyirl

I just logged onto App Store on my iphone and there sitting proud as punch at the top of the tree was 'EirText Pro' for E2.39. WTF!! Is everyone who already bought EirText just supposed to accept that we can't use it anymore since our update to 2.1. Are we meant to go now and spend more money on this? If we do how long will it last, till the next update?

If you think it's a rip off then don't buy it. The developer has already submitted an update which fixes the problems. Pity it takes Apple more than a week to approve it before we will get the update.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭carrotcake

Both EirText and EirText Pro are still being maintained and are getting an update for 2.1, so you can relax a little. Have a look at http://www.vinnycoyne.com/lackofconcept/ for details.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

krinpit wrote: »
    That's no excuse. People have bought this app in good faith that it would always be supported on their handset.

What is Apple's standpoint on this?

Both EirText and the Pro version were available before 2.1. It's the fault of 2.1 that one or both stopped working.

i cant download these files from http://www.iphone-hacks.com/forums/about1644.html

they wont work. where else can i get them?

Try here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

Hi,
    I was having a problem with mail and a couple of apps so decided to backup the phone (as there is a lot of stuff on it) and then restore and update it and then restore from backup. I did that and now any apps that I try to download again (which I have already paid for) I am getting a message saying
    "Eirtext will be available for download once you login to Itunes on your pc"
    Its all apps and not just eirtext.
    I logged into itunes on my pc and still getting the same error?
    Anyone got any ideas?
    Thanks.
    Sham.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭cdebru

For a start if you already bought it you cant buy it again and if you delete it you can reinstall it for free

Second the guy has already submitted the updated version to Apple for approval once that happens it will appear in your update list and you can update for Free.

There is no rip off 2.1 broke it the developer saw 2.1 the same time as the rest of us he had to figure what in 2.1 broke it then fix it then test it then submit it to apple who also test it then approve it unfortunately it all takes time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

Is the fella who wrote that app the same fella on boards who wrote an .jar file app to do the same thing on other mobiles?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 rebelnorrie

just out of the O2 shop in dublin....staff informed me that the iphone will not be availabe until the end of the year, and even then, unsure if it will be continued. is this:

A: O2 not being able to support the 3g network and associated problems with handsets

B: O2 pissed off at lack of stock from apple

C: O2 pissed off at quality of stock from apple

D: all of the above - O2 fed up of giving so much time and effort to trying to resolve problems that customers are having, and they dont know whether its dodgy handsets / their crap network or a combination of the two........and since O2 realy arent making all that much on the handsets (so they claim) and the contracts are not exactly making them millionares either, are they just going to concentrate on people wanting normal troublefree phones on pretty much the same tariffs?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

just out of the O2 shop in dublin....staff informed me that the iphone will not be availabe until the end of the year, and even then, unsure if it will be continued. is this:

A: O2 not being able to support the 3g network and associated problems with handsets

B: O2 pissed off at lack of stock from apple

C: O2 pissed off at quality of stock from apple

D: all of the above - O2 fed up of giving so much time and effort to trying to resolve problems that customers are having, and they dont know whether its dodgy handsets / their crap network or a combination of the two........and since O2 realy arent making all that much on the handsets (so they claim) and the contracts are not exactly making them millionares either, are they just going to concentrate on people wanting normal troublefree phones on pretty much the same tariffs?
    Hard to believe that tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

just out of the O2 shop in dublin....staff informed me that the iphone will not be availabe until the end of the year, and even then, unsure if it will be continued. is this:....

Er but it is available? (when they have stock)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

BostonB wrote: »
    Er but it is available? (when they have stock)

I rang an o2 shop during the week and they said they did not know if/when they would be getting them again. Also all stock seems to be getting recalled.

noblestee wrote: »
    Also all stock seems to be getting recalled.
    Er.... no it's not. I have a relative at O2 and their business teams are actively selling the iphone to businesses as an alternative to Blackberries.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Villain wrote: »
    Hard to believe that tbh
    +1

Scaremongering ftw!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

noblestee wrote: »
    I rang an o2 shop during the week and they said they did not know if/when they would be getting them again. Also all stock seems to be getting recalled.

Seems to be. What does that mean?

O2 grafton street had some and are selling them no problem.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement