Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3G iPhone Thread - [sourcing Qs / news about 3G iPhone here *ONLY* !!!]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Did anybody else get a nasty shock on their first bill.. mine was €96. meant to be €45. They said the additional charge was a charge that was a deposit on my first bill because I'm a new customer and should get it back if/when I leave O2. She said that this should've been explained to me in the shop when i purchased but it wasn't
    I was wondering about that. I just assumed they'd billed me for two months and I wouldn't get a bill this month!

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭andrewh5

Has anyone else had issues syncing Outlook calendars since upgrading to 2.1? My contacts sync grand but the calendar refuses to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭heggie

anyone use this phone as a modem for their mac? from my searches online I beleive the product has been droped from the app store, any other legit way to get this done?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭mobius42

heggie wrote: »
    anyone use this phone as a modem for their mac? from my searches online I beleive the product has been droped from the app store, any other legit way to get this done?

The Netshare app has been removed from the App store and Apple confirmed that it won't be coming back. Only way to do this now is to jailbreak the phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭heggie

ah well, ok thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭random_banter

About the bill.. has anyone else got their first one? Saw a guy got one a few posts up for twice the amount he expected.. mine was too.. was expecting around €60 (I have insurance and a text bundle addon to my €45 tariff) and got a bill for around €140. €12 roaming charges. I thought this was for my first month and then the advance for line rental for my second month? Whats this about a deposit?

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭mobius42

About the bill.. has anyone else got their first one? Saw a guy got one a few posts up for twice the amount he expected.. mine was too.. was expecting around €60 (I have insurance and a text bundle addon to my €45 tariff) and got a bill for around €140. €12 roaming charges. I thought this was for my first month and then the advance for line rental for my second month? Whats this about a deposit?

Thanks.

When I signed up with the 2G iPhone I was just charged 2 months in advance. That is, my first bill was for about €90 then I wasn't charged again for another 2 months. This deposit must be a new thing. O2 have been doing some very annoying things lately; they've cancelled ALL upgrades as well. Basically, no existing customers can upgrade from the 2G to 3G iPhone anymore, even though it still says on their website that you can. Also, people got their upgrades cancelled even after they were approved! It's like they don't want our custom.:mad:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

mobius42 wrote: »
    It's like they don't want our custom.:mad:
    Haven't you noticed? They already have it. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭carrotcake

For anyone interested in getting an iPhone in Italy (Rome)...

As a foreigner I had absolutely no problem getting one. One shop asked me for ID and an address because they were also giving me a prepaid SIM card with the phone, so I just gave the address of the B&B I was in. Most other shops just give you the phone without the SIM, no questions asked. In fact they remove the SIM pack from the packaging in front of you without saying anything!

There was no pressure to sign a contract or anything. They all seem to know the story with tourists taking them home and just give you the phone, asking the prepaid version's price. Although one shop I went into only gave them out on contract. And one chain was charging €519 for the 8GB version and €619 for the 16GB, instead of €499 and €569. I asked the sales rep if he could not give me a phone for the real price and he said no.

Trying to pay with a credit card wasn't so easy, with a disproportionate amount of shops' credit card terminals "non funziona" when I asked. Cash seems to be king when it comes to mobile phone shops over there. I also had trouble finding an ATM that would accept even one of my four cards, but that's another day's work...

A few shops were out of stock, but most had a limited supply. By that I mean around five or so. I was in one shop where there were two people (also tourists) ahead of me - one got four iPhones and the other got two. None were left after that.

I got pulled aside going through airport security on the way home, and the security guy already knew from the x-ray that I had a couple of iPhones. :) He was saying that loads of people take them home.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

carrotcake wrote: »
    I got pulled aside going through airport security on the way home, and the security guy already knew from the x-ray that I had a couple of iPhones. :) He was saying that loads of people take them home.

Um. why did he care? It's not like you're doing anything illegal and you were taking the phones to another EU destination anyway, were no additional custom charges should apply.

Thanks for the write-up, it's nice to know how it works. BTW, Vodafone in Greece also sells them unlocked for the same price, but I don't (yet) have any first hand experience of things there. I'd say the same situation very much applies as in Italy...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭carrotcake

J-blk wrote: »
    Um. why did he care? It's not like you're doing anything illegal and you were taking the phones to another EU destination anyway, were no additional custom charges should apply.
    Yeah, there was no problem with customs charges or anything. He just poked some stick into my bag and then put it into a reader to check for explosives.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭runswithascript

I've been waiting so long for an iPhone...

* No 3G 1st gen - wait for 3G 2nd gen.

* 3G 2nd gen but not in Ireland - wait for 3G 2nd gen to come to Ireland.

* Only available from O2 after you agree to sign your soul away to them for 18 months - research buying one abroad and unlocking it.

* Rumours are heard of O2 releasing the iPhone on PAY & G credit package before October... and then before Christmas (does anyone have an update on this because I asked in the 02 shop and the girl said she knew nothing about it)

* Rumours are heard of 02 releasing 32GB model so now even if my other concerns were addressed I'd still have to wait for the 32GB model or else run the risk of becoming INCRDIBLY FRUSTRATED (don't make me angry, you wouldn't like me when I'm angry) when the newer model comes out shortly after I purchase the 16GB.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭ChRoMe

LA3G wrote: »

* Only available from O2 after you agree to sign your soul away to them for 18 months - research buying one abroad and unlocking it.

* Rumours are heard of O2 releasing the iPhone on PAY & G credit package before October... and then before Christmas (does anyone have an update on this because I asked in the 02 shop and the girl said she knew nothing about it)

* Rumours are heard of 02 releasing 32GB model so now even if my other concerns are addressed I'd still have to wait for the 32GB model or else run the risk of becoming INCRDIBLY FRUSTRATED (don't make me angry, you wouldn't like me when I'm angry) when the model comes out shortly after I purchase the 16GB.

Eh, you will experience these problems when waiting to buy any form of technology. There will allways be something better just around the corner. Welcome to the wonderful world of moore's law.

Oh and we really need to retire this thread and figure out a better method to hold the iphone 3g discussions

• Registered Users Posts: 28,933 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

LA3G wrote: »

* Rumours are heard of 02 releasing 32GB model so now even if my other concerns were addressed I'd still have to wait for the 32GB model or else run the risk of becoming INCRDIBLY FRUSTRATED (don't make me angry, you wouldn't like me when I'm angry) when the newer model comes out shortly after I purchase the 16GB.
    Welcome to the frustrating world of iPhone ownership. Now conveniently available before ownership*.

* iPhone does not guarantee to deliver but does guarantee to frustrate

ChRoMe wrote: »
    Eh, you will experience these problems when waiting to buy any form of technology. There will allways be something better just around the corner. Welcome to the wonderful world of moore's law.

Yes of course technology is improving and advancing all the time and I wouldn't change that for the world. There is no talk of a PS4 coming out anytime soon so if I was in the market for a PS3 I could buy it in with no qualms but with the iPhone at this particular moment after reading the 32GB rumours I just can't justify buying the 16GB model.
    ChRoMe wrote: »
    Oh and we really need to retire this thread and figure out a better method to hold the iphone 3g discussions

Hear hear!
    Welcome to the frustrating world of iPhone ownership. Now conveniently available before ownership*.

Tell me about it, I had a 6230i which was okay but I broke it and at the moment I'm just using a welfare Nokia 1600 which doesn't even have a colour screen or camera. I could buy another phone but if I'm going to buy an iPhone soon it would be a waste to spend a lot of money on a temporary replacement but on the flipside if I spend very little it's not going to be a whole lot better than what I have so what's the point?

If 02 end up not releasing it on PAY & GO before Christmas is taking a trip up north and unlocking it so I can use on Meteor the best way to go? Also how much are they going for and who has the best price?

I'm in iPhone limbo here :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭dunkindonuts

whats the best way to unlock a US 3g iphone. Has anyone tried those turbo simcards?

whats the best way to unlock a US 3g iphone. Has anyone tried those turbo simcards?

Go here. I use one and run my iphone on Meteor without issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭mobileplaza

hey guys just got a sim free 16gb from italy, just a quick question i know the
    live.vodafone.com apn wont work but i am able to send & receive emails from my gmail account. is this supposed to happen??

also i am not connected to any wifi networks when doing this :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Why wont the live.voda connection work?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭jamieh

Just got my first bill....€280!!?? WTF!?

• Advertisement

jamieh wrote: »

lol! :D

This is why I'm not signing my soul away to 02.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

How'd you manage to spend that much, were you roaming?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Must have gone waaay past your plan limits. Especially data.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭randomer

jamieh wrote: »

This is what you need. Unlocked iPhone on three :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 764 ✭✭✭xbox36016

have not my bill yet got the iphone on the 28/7/08

xbox36016 wrote: »
    have not my bill yet got the iphone on the 28/7/08

It took me four attempts to understand what you were trying to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭jamieh

Figured out my €280 was for 2 months which doesn't seem as bad!! But I was on the €85 package so I'm now on the €100 package!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

randomer wrote: »
    This is what you need. Unlocked iPhone on three :D
    What deal are you on with Three?

Also I can make my iphone display whatever I want in the network section........ Cool but useless.....:)

Also I can make my iphone display whatever I want in the network section........ Cool but useless.....:)

I am one of the older tarriffs (45 or 60 euro per month) with the X-Series Silver Add On (an extra 15 euro). I had the gold one, but I could never get the SlingBox to work with the phone so I downgraded to Silver.

• Advertisement

Mine is on Meteor. €9.99 pm for 250Mb data and 100 minutes calls/30 texts for €20

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement