Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3G iPhone Thread - [sourcing Qs / news about 3G iPhone here *ONLY* !!!]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭colm_c

grizzly wrote: »
    Another thing is to turn the brightness right down to about 20%.

Does anyone know how to turn off G3 when not in use? Do I just select Carrier> O2 IRL (instead of O2 IRL G3)? or is there another way of doing this?

Thanks,

Go to Settings -> General -> Network

Change the setting on 'Enable 3G'

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I got a spare charger (mains socket & usb cable) for about €6 delivered from this crowd on eBay.

Takes some of the hassle out of short battery life.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

Strange.
    Mine was going great after the latest firmware update, was getting 2 days battery life.
    This week for some reason I am only getthing half a day or less?
    I am not browsing, not getting that many calls, have bluetooth, wireless, push and 3g off.
    Have my brightness way down and it seems to be worse than ever.
    The only thing I can put it down to is that I am charging from my pc in work and not the actual power.
    Any ideas?
    It is really starting to Pis* me off.
    I went to bed the other night and it was 3/4 full when I woke up (about 8 hours later) it was red and dying fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

sham69 wrote: »
    The only thing I can put it down to is that I am charging from my pc in work and not the actual power.
    That's your problem right there I'd say. I don't have an iPhone but any other phone that I've had needs to be plug into the mains and not the computer to get an optimum charge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭KhanTheMan

Does anyone know of a different radio to All Radio which has Newstalk and TodayFM on it.

All Radio is so unstable that it is unusable. I have to keep resetting it because the connection only lasts around 10 mins max before it goes dead again on my way into work in the mornings.

It would be a great app if it only stayed connected for a reasonable amount of time.

So im looking for a stable alternative if anyone has any.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

BaZmO* wrote: »
    That's your problem right there I'd say. I don't have an iPhone but any other phone that I've had needs to be plug into the mains and not the computer to get an optimum charge.

I don't think that's the case with the iPhone - I've had my 1st gen iPhone for over a year now and 95% of the time it has been charged via USB. Battery life lasts about 2 days regardless if charged via USB or the wall charger. The 3G gets less than that on "normal" use though...

• Subscribers Posts: 16,582 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

doubt this is it, I never plug mine into mains and have no issue with power. it just takes a little longer to charge fully via usb. fully charged is fully charged

copacetic wrote: »
    doubt this is it, I never plug mine into mains and have no issue with power. it just takes a little longer to charge fully via usb. fully charged is fully charged
    Well as I've said, I don't have an iPhone. Does the iPhone actually say charged 100% when using the usb to charge it?

Other phones I've had only charge 95% when using the usb as opposed to getting fully charged when using the mains.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭jamieh

Hi all,

My friend has a broken iPhone (went messing with the software).

I'm going to try to sort it out using ZiPhone.

Could someone tell me what's the newest firmware that Ziphone can unlock and jailbreak?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

jamieh wrote: »
    Hi all,

My friend has a broken iPhone (went messing with the software).

I'm going to try to sort it out using ZiPhone.

Could someone tell me what's the newest firmware that Ziphone can unlock and jailbreak?

Don't use ziphone. Use Winpwn or Quickpwn. Go to www.iclarified.com and follow their step-by-step tutorials.

• Advertisement

Does the iPhone actually say charged 100% when using the usb to charge it?

Yes, it does. The 100% charged icon changes to a mains plug in the battery icon instead of a lightning bolt through it when not yet full - this happens on both USB and mains charging, it just takes longer on USB.

Ah well that sorts that out so....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭scoot on

What's the story with the app store? I've only ever downloaded Remote which I did with no problems. I went in today via the iphone and itunes to download eirtext and it won't let me. It comes up with an error when I try to do it via the iphone saying my billing info needs to be updated. When I go through itunes it says the network connection has timed out. I've no problems downloading songs from itunes though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭ADSLUSER

FRING is now available on the Appstore for free. Finally a VOIP app that can be used on the iPhone which works with SKYPE. I have a World subscription with SKYPE and this allows me to make unlimited long distance calls using my iPhone now. The only caveat is that it only works on WIFI and not 3G. This is a restriction of Apple's T&Cs that restrict VOIP to WIFI only. Not a problem for me since I have WIFI at work and home and there are plenty of WIFI hotspots around Dublin. The app is very simple to use and works well. Tried a few long distance calls and call quality was very good. SKYPE to SKYPE or GTALK to GTALK is of course free. A must have app for anyone waiting for a VOIP app on the iPhone.

I tried using the appstore one and it's just a crap for Skype as the last version was for jailbroken 1.1.4 phones. Works for about 5 seconds before the call keeps cutting out. Too bad, I really wanted something like this but both versions I've used so far have been pathetic - at least for Skype calls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭vms7ply9t6dw4b

andrewh5 wrote: »
    Go here. I use one and run my iphone on Meteor without issues.

Hmmm i got one of those tried it, didnt work and got stuck in my phone, had to butcher it out. Id be tempted to try again though otherwise ill just sell it on... where'd you get yours?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭BigglesMcGee

I have GPS, 3G and wireless all on all the time. I use the phone and browser a lot too.
    I get about 2.5 days on a full charge using the USB on my computer. There must be something wrong with some of the batteries if they are not lasting

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭theliam

ive been trying to jailbreak an iphone 3g and its not working... so ive been following teh tutorial on iclarified.com and i have all the files in the right place etc etc. i go through most of the process and just get the phone into dfu mode then i get a windows error 'winpwn 2.5 beta has encountered a problem and needs to close. we are sorry for the inconveniance.' it then closes and thank god the phone isnt bricked. has happened twice in a row now.

for differetn reason the only computer comp i can use is a tiny sony vaio one that is pretty slow.

any ideas whats happewning or what i can do to make it right?

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

theliam wrote: »
    ive been trying to jailbreak an iphone 3g and its not working... so ive been following teh tutorial on iclarified.com and i have all the files in the right place etc etc. i go through most of the process and just get the phone into dfu mode then i get a windows error 'winpwn 2.5 beta has encountered a problem and needs to close. we are sorry for the inconveniance.' it then closes and thank god the phone isnt bricked. has happened twice in a row now.

for differetn reason the only computer comp i can use is a tiny sony vaio one that is pretty slow.

any ideas whats happewning or what i can do to make it right?

thanks

Did you try with quickpwn? also maybe try closing as many aplications as you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭ADSLUSER

J-blk wrote: »
    I tried using the appstore one and it's just a crap for Skype as the last version was for jailbroken 1.1.4 phones. Works for about 5 seconds before the call keeps cutting out. Too bad, I really wanted something like this but both versions I've used so far have been pathetic - at least for Skype calls.

Works fine for me. I dialled some US and UK numbers and had conversations over 20mins long with no issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

KhanTheMan wrote: »
    Does anyone know of a different radio to All Radio which has Newstalk and TodayFM on it.

All Radio is so unstable that it is unusable. I have to keep resetting it because the connection only lasts around 10 mins max before it goes dead again on my way into work in the mornings.

It would be a great app if it only stayed connected for a reasonable amount of time.

So im looking for a stable alternative if anyone has any.

Hate to state the obvious but why are you wasting your download allowance on something you can get for free with a tiny portable radio?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I'd be inclined to agree. If it was unlimited, it'd be great, but you'll eat up your 1gig allowance with radio programs. Great over WiFi, not so great when you're paying for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭KhanTheMan

chrislad wrote: »
    I'd be inclined to agree. If it was unlimited, it'd be great, but you'll eat up your 1gig allowance with radio programs. Great over WiFi, not so great when you're paying for it.

Isnt it obvious, it would be better to have the phone and radio all in one rather than carry around 2 items.

It doesnt use as much as you think of your download allowance either, but i got a 2GB a month allowance out of O2 after complaining that the reception was crap when i bought the phone. I kept at them and wouldnt settle for their excuses and demanded they give me a discount or something else. Reception is much better now though but they gave me the 2GB per month allowance forever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭BigglesMcGee

And man do i hate the new App Store.
    How are you supposed to browse it now. Its terrible. ITunes was crap as it was, now its 10 times worse. Is there an alternative site for listing apps so at least you can find new interesting ones easily and then search the rubbish that is iTunes for them

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I agree completely. It was fine when it started but it's gotten way too big now. There's in excess of 1000 games alone at the moment. They need to have a top 50/100 for each catergory or get more catergories.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

eamon234 wrote: »
    Hate to state the obvious but why are you wasting your download allowance on something you can get for free with a tiny portable radio?
    I also hate to state the obvious but it's hardly a waste if that's what you want to use your allowance for.

I use the AllRadio app commuting 5 days a week and don't even go near my allowance, btw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 simonbyrneno.4

Hey guys,
    I'm dying to get my hands on an iPhone 3g, problem is i live in Dublin and i'm on the meteor network. Everyone i've seen on eBay is a ridiculous price and i'm not really sure about sending off money via western union, like what is needed on most of the adds found on blogs.ie. They are advertised for $250-$400!! Can someone please recommend any advice????

picked up one of these today, a Sony icf c1ip:

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&productId=8198552921665411929

so far seems really good. useful for anyone looking for a bedroom speaker system that can also be used as a radio alarm clock and a handy stand that charges the iphone for you overnight. Could be suitable for someone looking for a kitchen speaker/stand/radio/clock also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

copacetic wrote: »
    picked up one of these today, a Sony icf c1ip:

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&productId=8198552921665411929

so far seems really good. useful for anyone looking for a bedroom speaker system that can also be used as a radio alarm clock and a handy stand that charges the iphone for you overnight. Could be suitable for someone looking for a kitchen speaker/stand/radio/clock also.

I was looking at getting one of theses.......seems to be just what I am looking for.....and that price is a steal!

• Advertisement

i didn't get it there. got it in for €99 here with 2 year cover. not a fantastic price but no waiting around and somewhere to bring it back if it all goes wrong.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement