Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3G iPhone Thread - [sourcing Qs / news about 3G iPhone here *ONLY* !!!]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,260 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

http://www.o2online.ie/wps/wcm/connect/O2/Home/Shop/Phones/iPhone+3G/Find+out+more

16Gb White & Black phones on the site now. Just bought Black one.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭skapegoat

redman wrote: »
    If I move one of my mobile numbers to O2 to get the iPhone 3G. Then unlock and use the iPhone on Vodafone, can I use another phone with the O2 sim onfrom the Iphone 3G package?

If you move your number to o2 you will be stuck with that number on an o2 sim.
    If you unlock the iPhone you can use it on any network with any sim but you will be billed heavily for data on slot of networks.

You can use the o2sim with any phone that is unlocked or that is an o2 phone.

Now I hope that helps.

Just a few questions?
    Why do you have 2 numbers?
    If your going to be ties into an 18 month o2 contract why would you pay someone else for data? When you would have it in your o2 comtract?

• Subscribers Posts: 16,582 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

according to o2 forums they are available in stores too:

http://forums.o2online.ie/forums/showthread.php?t=511

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭dunkindonuts

I have the US Spec iphone its a 16gb, got it jail broken etc but i bought a gevey turbo sim and put it in the phone but its not unlocking.do you know anywhere i can bring it in dublin city to get a new turbo sim cheap or get it checked out.

this is the sim i got
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/UNLOCK-3G-16GB-8GB-IPHONE-GEVEY-TURBO-SIM-UNLOCKED-FAST_W0QQitemZ280272910322QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item280272910322&_trkparms=72%3A1301|39%3A1|66%3A2|65%3A12|240%3A1308&_trksid=p3911.c0.m14

thanks for the help guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Dicksboro_man

copacetic wrote: »
    according to o2 forums they are available in stores too:

http://forums.o2online.ie/forums/showthread.php?t=511

yeah.got mine on wednesday in an o2 store Kilkenny.they only have black 16GB models though.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

I have the US Spec iphone its a 16gb, got it jail broken etc but i bought a gevey turbo sim and put it in the phone but its not unlocking.do you know anywhere i can bring it in dublin city to get a new turbo sim cheap or get it checked out.

this is the sim i got
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/UNLOCK-3G-16GB-8GB-IPHONE-GEVEY-TURBO-SIM-UNLOCKED-FAST_W0QQitemZ280272910322QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item280272910322&_trkparms=72%3A1301|39%3A1|66%3A2|65%3A12|240%3A1308&_trksid=p3911.c0.m14

thanks for the help guys.

FM Mobiles on Georges street sell turbo sim's and some other ones aswell.
    If you bring the phone into them they will sort you out...

Ordered the phone yesterday and it's status is currently at processing

10 October 2008
    10:25:33 Processing Your order has been packed and is being prepared for delivery.

How long does it take for it to be sent? Being Friday and all.
    I rang 1850 222 020 but getting VM :rolleyes:

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

The_Edge wrote: »
    Ordered the phone yesterday and it's status is currently at processing

10 October 2008
    10:25:33 Processing Your order has been packed and is being prepared for delivery.

How long does it take for it to be sent? Being Friday and all.
    I rang 1850 222 020 but getting VM :rolleyes:

Cheers
    Do you not think that maybe you're being just a tad impatient? You only ordered it yesterday!

Haha...I know, I know. Finished work today at 3:30....hate to think it arrives just as I leave. :(

Playing with my emotions so they are

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Yeah that'd be a killer, especially missing the whole weekend to play with it!

• Advertisement

10 October 2008
    15:30:41 Shipped Port Pending Your order has been shipped. You indicated during your order that you wish to move your number to O2. Pay monthly customers please send back the forms included with your pack. Speak easy customers please call Customer Care on 1747 when you have received your new phone.

Your An Post tracking number is +++++++++++. Click here to track your order on the An Post website.

Arrrggghhh!!!!*

*That was quick!

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭theliam

*********please help***********

ive been tryin to jailbreak an iphone 3g. it comes from ebay(dont know where).
    im using winpwn 2.5 and i have new itunes etc. i went through everything and put the phone in dfu mode but then in the 'preparing iphone for custom restore' bit it stopped working and didnt do it. so now the phone iss in dfu mode and when i try to restore it with itunes to 2.1 it wont work. when i go back through winpwn it doesnt work. i have an o2 sim in it with a rebel sim but it wasnt unlocked yet - only allowing emergency calls... any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭johnk123

The website is "out of stock" again!

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Ballboy

Thinking about getting one but want to get the best deal :)
    I know its probably been asked million times before..

Im going to england next weekend so do you think that would be the best option or just get it on ebay??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

Ballboy wrote: »
    Thinking about getting one but want to get the best deal :)
    I know its probably been asked million times before..

Im going to england next weekend so do you think that would be the best option or just get it on ebay??

Its £350 for an 8Gb or £400 for the 16Gb, you get free unlimited (Fair USE) 3G with that and free wifi for a year (UK only of course)

If the price is right I would get one from there, if you know someone living there of course, just a lot more simple to send back if something goes wrong.

You will of course need a turbo sim to get it working on Irish networks.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Ballboy

Thanks for the fast response!

So do you recommend staying clear of ebay then??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 generallysuspic

Anyone getting this frequently on 3g? Bars drop to 1 then this comes up. Few mins later 4 bars then no service again. Turn off 3g and u get 4 or 5 bars. Never had issues with 3g before and 2.1 upgrade didnt affect things until now.

Ballboy wrote: »

So do you recommend staying clear of ebay then??

I cant say because I dont have any experience of buying an iphone from ebay, people on here have and have been very happy.

Buying in the UK worked for me because I spend 6 months of the year there.

I would be more comfortable having it from the UK if it went wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭johnk123

Check out the "Essential Iphone Apps" Thread

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055395097

Handy source of info. What apps to definitely get, and those to stay away from

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭theliam

theliam wrote: »
    *********please help***********

ive been tryin to jailbreak an iphone 3g. it comes from ebay(dont know where).
    im using winpwn 2.5 and i have new itunes etc. i went through everything and put the phone in dfu mode but then in the 'preparing iphone for custom restore' bit it stopped working and didnt do it. so now the phone iss in dfu mode and when i try to restore it with itunes to 2.1 it wont work. when i go back through winpwn it doesnt work. i have an o2 sim in it with a rebel sim but it wasnt unlocked yet - only allowing emergency calls... any suggestions?

anyone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Stiofain2006

Does anyone know why O2 don't have unlimited data for iphone in Ireland. They have it in the UK. I think its a disgrace that they don't offer the same here - they know that they can cream us for some extra $$$$$$!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

Does anyone know why O2 don't have unlimited data for iphone in Ireland. They have it in the UK. I think its a disgrace that they don't offer the same here - they know that they can cream us for some extra $$$$$$!!

O2 Ireland and O2 UK are two completely different companies - yes, we don't get great offers here, I definitely agree with that, but if you are trying to compare O2 Ireland with O2 UK, you might as well be comparing them with Vodafone, Meteor or any other operator anywhere.

Just received my phone there this morning. Is there meant to be a pin with the sim card? Can't see it anywhere? unless there's a default number??

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Just received my phone there this morning. Is there meant to be a pin with the sim card? Can't see it anywhere? unless there's a default number??
    IIRC there's a pin printed somewhere on the SIM, or the card it pops out of. Real tiny print though so easy to miss.

J-blk wrote: »
    O2 Ireland and O2 UK are two completely different companies - yes, we don't get great offers here, I definitely agree with that, but if you are trying to compare O2 Ireland with O2 UK, you might as well be comparing them with Vodafone, Meteor or any other operator anywhere.

That is canteen talk. Its like saying Ford in the UK and Ford in Ireland are two different companies. Or Tesco.

They both report back to the same people/person, the share holders of Telefónica.

They know they can charge more here and get away with it because the competition is not as intense as it is in the UK................and that's fair enough, this is after all a free market, or so we are led to believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

I'm not trying to defend O2's practices - in fact, my iPhone is not on O2 and I'll avoid them for as long as possible. My point is though that they function as completely separate companies, they do not offer the same plans in both countries and not even the same products in some cases. Even things like the iPhone distribution deals for each country are managed separately and what O2 UK does has no bearing on O2 Ireland so looking at what they offer is pretty pointless... Does it suck? Hell yes... Unfortunately, it's not going to change any time soon, because you're right: there's no competition here so they can get away with all kinds of crap that would never fly in the UK.

Thanks Dades....I had to ring them in the end.

All setup now, number ported. The 3G is not working on it yet though. I do get a 3G icon but if I try Safari it's timing out. Same for the app store.

Do I just need to wait longer or is there a setting I need to configure?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

All setup now, number ported. The 3G is not working on it yet though. I do get a 3G icon but if I try Safari it's timing out. Same for the app store.

Do I just need to wait longer or is there a setting I need to configure?
    Make sure you have 3G enabled...
    Go to Settings; General; Network and then "Enable 3G".
    (You might need to similarly enable wireless from the Wi-Fi option in Settings).
    Hope that works. Enjoy. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭wayne040576

I've been having trouble with data network all afternoon. Keeps timing out on nearly everything.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭tabatha

can anyone tell me, im off to london this week and i was thinking of buying a pay as you go iphone. will it work here with my current o2 sim card as im hearing conflicting stories if it will or not?

thanks

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement