Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3G iPhone Thread - [sourcing Qs / news about 3G iPhone here *ONLY* !!!]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

tabatha wrote: »
    can anyone tell me, im off to london this week and i was thinking of buying a pay as you go iphone. will it work here with my current o2 sim card as im hearing conflicting stories if it will or not?

It won't. It's O2 UK locked which will not work with an O2 Ireland SIM card. You can still get a Turbo SIM or another SIM adapter and unlock it though - mine is currently on Vodafone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭johnk123

tabatha wrote: »
    can anyone tell me, im off to london this week and i was thinking of buying a pay as you go iphone. will it work here with my current o2 sim card as im hearing conflicting stories if it will or not?

thanks
    JUst buy a PAYG one here in ireland!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

I've been having trouble with data network all afternoon. Keeps timing out on nearly everything.

Me too, the 3G coverage is questionable, even when it is showing a full signal it regularly times out and does nothing.

O2 need to get their thumbs out and sort out the coverage quickly as more iPhones hit the streets (and the many other 3G enabled phones) its going to make things worse unless they invest some money in the hardware.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭elmoie

hey all, if you get the iphone on O2 ireland prepay can you switch the prepay card to O2 Clear do you think ? still an O2 sim right ?

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭CivilEx

elmoie wrote: »
    hey all, if you get the iphone on O2 ireland prepay can you switch the prepay card to O2 Clear do you think ? still an O2 sim right ?

That will work ok. If you go for the Clear 50 plan @ €15/month and a 250 MB add on, you have your iPhone for €22.50 per month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭bluemachaveli

CivilEx wrote: »
    That will work ok. If you go for the Clear 50 plan @ €15/month and a 250 MB add on, you have your iPhone for €22.50 per month.

But over the course of 18 months (I know your not tied to 18 months on the clear sim, but odds are your going to stick with it) there is not much in the difference in owning an 8gb.

O2 Clear = €885 (Iphone = €480 + 18 Months @ 22.50)
    Billpay = €979 (Iphone = €169 + 18 months @ 45)

Thats a small difference for a lot more minutes, data and texts!

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭CivilEx

But over the course of 18 months (I know your not tied to 18 months on the clear sim, but odds are your going to stick with it) there is not much in the difference in owning an 8gb.

O2 Clear = €885 (Iphone = €480 + 18 Months @ 22.50)
    Billpay = €979 (Iphone = €169 + 18 months @ 45)

Thats a small difference for a lot more minutes, data and texts!
    IMO the billpay is much better value. I think the figures might be even higher with Speakeasy, because the iPhone is so data hungry I think you will be looking at data charges of over €20/month before you make a call or send a text? It's hard to stop it connecting to the Internet each day and incurring the 99c charge (unless you let your credit run to €0 to manage it)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭shawpower

Does anyone know what the story on actually ordering an iPhone from O2 is at the moment. Decided to bite the bullet and buy one, but had heard a while ago that they are next to impossible to get. Unsurprised therefore to see the O2 online being sold out of the 16gig models when I checked today.

What kind of delay is there on getting them? Is it possible to get in a queue somewhere for one?

Also, I am wondering whether it is worth getting a mate from the US to buy an unlocked & jail broken one over there to bring home? Prices at home vary between €229 and €129 while you can get one in the US for around $299 (€220) going by AT&T prices. Is it worth the hassle? Are they reliable when you get them, and where should they be bought if so? And if you sign up for a O2 contract anyway for the free internet, do you loose the "jail broken" aspect?

Cheers guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭coin

Hi guys,
    Sorry for more unlock questions.

I've got myself a turbosim. When the card is not in the iphone it comes "insert an unlocked and valid sim to activate phone".

So being not technically minded I put in my vodafone and turbosim. Doesn't work. Any clues or is there something that has to be done. Hope someone can help. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Devious

shawpower wrote: »
    Does anyone know what the story on actually ordering an iPhone from O2 is at the moment. Decided to bite the bullet and buy one, but had heard a while ago that they are next to impossible to get. Unsurprised therefore to see the O2 online being sold out of the 16gig models when I checked today.

What kind of delay is there on getting them? Is it possible to get in a queue somewhere for one?

You can currently buy the 16 gig white iphone on the o2 store, the black ones are out of stock.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭elmoie

hey coin the guys will correct me if i am wrong but if you bought your phone from e.g O2 you need to activate it first by putting in the sim from O2 and hooking it up to Itunes .. once activated you just put your voda + turbo sim in and it should work i think ...

Devious wrote: »
    You can currently buy the 16 gig white iphone on the o2 store, the black ones are out of stock.

Yeah, I saw that. I'm looking for a black one though. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Minto

Yeah, I saw that. I'm looking for a black one though. :(

Not all O2 shops are sold out of the black 16GB iPhones. I got one in Waterford's O2 shop a few hours ago and they guy said they had a good few in stock. I'd imagine stock of the prepay ones will be better stocked than the Bill pay one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭dunkindonuts

coin wrote: »
    Hi guys,
    Sorry for more unlock questions.

I've got myself a turbosim. When the card is not in the iphone it comes "insert an unlocked and valid sim to activate phone".

So being not technically minded I put in my vodafone and turbosim. Doesn't work. Any clues or is there something that has to be done. Hope someone can help. Thanks.

where did you buy your turbo sim?, i think i know the problem as i bought mine form ebay and wouldn't work and said the same thing but i bought another turbo sim from a shop in dublin and now its working perfectly.

Minto wrote: »
    Not all O2 shops are sold out of the black 16GB iPhones. I got one in Waterford's O2 shop a few hours ago and they guy said they had a good few in stock. I'd imagine stock of the prepay ones will be better stocked than the Bill pay one.

Are they prepared to ship phones to elsewhere I wonder? Living in Drogheda, working off Red Cow, so have access to plenty of shops. Pity there isn't somewhere that you can check which shops have stock and which don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Pity there isn't somewhere that you can check which shops have stock and which don't.
    There is, it's called the yellow pages!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭redman

A lady in Three (call centre) "unoffically" told me that they are getting the iPhone in the next two months. This was to stop me cancelling...
    Anyone able to validate that?

BaZmO* wrote: »
    There is, it's called the yellow pages!

No. That will give me the numbers of the shops. It doesn't save me ringing 27 of them to find out if they have it in stock though. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

No. That will give me the numbers of the shops. It doesn't save me ringing 27 of them to find out if they have it in stock though. :P
    Welllllllll, if you ring the Carphone Warehouse or an O2 branch they should be able to tell you if any of the the other branches have them in stock. :p

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Welllllllll, if you ring the Carphone Warehouse or an O2 branch they should be able to tell you if any of the the other branches have them in stock. :p

See that was the question I asked first; any way to check? I thought it might be online, but I guess you could be right and that the shops would have a listing on their system. :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

redman wrote: »
    A lady in Three (call centre) "unoffically" told me that they are getting the iPhone in the next two months. This was to stop me cancelling...
    Anyone able to validate that?

Doubt it, even if it was available on multiple carrier, Im sure O2 would have signed a 12 month exclusivity for the 3G. Maybe they might get it next year, but def not in 2 months,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Einstein

woot

got me the 8gb one for €49 yesterday. In fairness, besides the poxy battery life, ye cant really go wrong! GPS worked quite well to my surprise too :D.

Although I dont like the fact that i cant register it without giving Itunes my CC number. That pishes me off...

Einstein wrote: »
    woot

got me the 8gb one for €49 yesterday. In fairness, besides the poxy battery life, ye cant really go wrong! GPS worked quite well to my surprise too :D.

Although I dont like the fact that i cant register it without giving Itunes my CC number. That pishes me off...

I presume you can't have it and an iPod running off the same iTunes either? Hmm. Might have to dig out that old PC with 90% of my music still on it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Einstein

I presume you can't have it and an iPod running off the same iTunes either? Hmm. Might have to dig out that old PC with 90% of my music still on it. :)
    Ah i believe you can, when regstering the phone it prompts u for account details, so if you're an existing itunes/ipod user just put in those details...in my case, I had to create an account from scratch since this is my first apple product.

Which is interesting considering i don't actually own a credit card...which means I cant create an Itunes account...which means I cant register my phone without giving CC details...

me no likey... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

Yes you can, though managing music/video sync can be a bit of a pain. I have two iPods and two iPhones all connected to the same iTunes account - no problem at all, though most of my music is DRM free so I'm not too sure how purchased content will behave if you try to sync it to multiple devices. I find setting the iPods/iPhones to "manually manage music" works best if you have more than one on the same iTunes account/PC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭mobius42

J-blk wrote: »
    no problem at all, though most of my music is DRM free so I'm not too sure how purchased content will behave if you try to sync it to multiple devices.

You can sync an unlimited number of iPods and iPhones with your protected music. The only restriction is the number of computers you can have that protected music on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

Anyone getting "Could not activate cellular data network: PDP authentication failure" on their IPhone for the past 30-40 mins?

Sorry. Just realised I mixed up using an iPod with two different versions of iTunes with using two ipods with the same version of iTunes. Had the first problem when I moved machines. :)

Right, cheers for all the help guys. Off to get one this evening now. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭mobius42

Anyone getting "Could not activate cellular data network: PDP authentication failure" on their IPhone for the past 30-40 mins?

Getting that here in Cork too. Was working fine around 11 but went down some time soon after that. They had this issue earlier in the year, so hopefully they'll be able to fix it quickly. This is starting to occur a bit too frequently.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭NiSmO

This post has been deleted.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement