Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3G iPhone Thread - [sourcing Qs / news about 3G iPhone here *ONLY* !!!]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭Username!

NiSmO wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.
    You can only Jailbreak the phone but it's not half as necessary as it used to be (I have mine especially for Kate).

The App Store is brilliant by the way, some of the applications are seriously well made - even the free ones.

You need to use an application called QuickPwn - it makes you custom made IPSW so you will need to download the latest version from the link below because it will be required to make your new version, with Cydia or Installer or both installer (Installer is no good, Cydia has everything). After you Pwn your iPhone, you go through iTunes and hold SHIFT + Restore and it will let you select your customer Firmware - dead handy.

http://appldnld.apple.com.edgesuite.net/content.info.apple.com/iPhone/061-5198.20080909.K3294/iPhone1,2_2.1_5F136_Restore.ipsw

Here's the QuickPwn link to it's download and information.

http://blog.iphone-dev.org/post/49988701/pwnagetool-and-quickpwn-for-2-1-firmware

And a lovely screenshot...

quickpwn.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭shawpower

One thing I heard from a (self-processed) Apple expert is that if you do jailbreak your new iPhone, that every time Apple releases a new update, it breaks the device.

Now I'm not sure if this is 100% true, and also whether you need to update the iPhone constantly or not, but it might be worth considering.

Also, he said most of the good apps are free anyway, so thought it was not worth the risk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭Username!

shawpower wrote: »
    One thing I heard from a (self-processed) Apple expert is that if you do jailbreak your new iPhone, that every time Apple releases a new update, it breaks the device.

Now I'm not sure if this is 100% true, and also whether you need to update the iPhone constantly or not, but it might be worth considering.

Also, he said most of the good apps are free anyway, so thought it was not worth the risk.
    That's true - in most cases as it practically just backs up everything, puts on the few version, then restores.

That's what were fortunate to have the Dev Team who've already Jailbroken 2.2 (because nothing major has changed).

http://blog.iphone-dev.org/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭shawpower

Handy link. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

3509.jpg

made me laugh anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

Einstein wrote: »
    Although I dont like the fact that i cant register it without giving Itunes my CC number. That pishes me off...
    Not true. You can activate the iPhone just fine without needing an iTunes account. On that page where it asks you to enter the account details is a link for those who dont want to create an iTunes account and dont have one already. It asks for your email address, and it activates the phone just fine.

O2 and Apple would be shooting themselves in the foot if they restricted iPhones only to credit card holders... though that still wouldnt surprise me if they did.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Einstein

so i've seen a small annoyance...i love the iphone no doubt..but hello...picture messaging? Cant send or receive pics!
    I mean i kno I can email n stuff...but it's just one of thos things thats nice to have...
    any apps that can do it? besides flutter which seems crap..?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,933 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Einstein wrote: »
    so i've seen a small annoyance...i love the iphone no doubt..but hello...picture messaging? Cant send or receive pics!
    I mean i kno I can email n stuff...but it's just one of thos things thats nice to have...
    any apps that can do it? besides flutter which seems crap..?
    Ya can recieve picture messages but it just contains a link to a website where ya go to view it. Me, personally I don't really use picture messaging all that often. Its the inability to transfer either music or pictures via bluetooth that I was more disappointed in.

Has anyone found a way of storing and viewing .doc files and pdf files on your iPhone. I don't use my iPhone for music too often so it seems my memory is wasted because of it. I hate having to send myself docs that I need to view and then wait till I'm in 3G or wifi to download it. Its a real pain in the ass. Is there an application to get around this. I was told that if I jailbreak my iPhone then I can do it via some applications, but was then warned heavily not to mess with the internal filing system unless I was sure of what I was doing, and I wasn't so I didn't.

Will there ever be away to view the iPhone as an external drive, like old iPods of yore?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭mobius42

Has anyone found a way of storing and viewing .doc files and pdf files on your iPhone.

There's an app on the app store called air sharing that allows you to view pdfs, .docs and a load of other formats. It was free for a while back but I think they're charging for it now. I have it and it works very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,933 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I had this before but ya can only load files via wifi which I don't have at home unfortunately. Thanks anyways möbius.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Will the price remain like this or will it drop do you think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭dunkindonuts

Is there any way of editing a excel or word file? Is there any software that can be used.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭mobius42

Is there any way of editing a excel or word file? Is there any software that can be used.

Don't know of an app to edit word docs but there is one for editing Excel spreadsheets: http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=291175981&mt=8
    Costs €5.99.

You can also use web-based applications like Google Docs if that's any good to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭ImDave

Lads, my laptop is on the blink and I need to format the hard drive. What do I need to know regarding the iPhone and iTunes? I have all my music backed up, so thats OK, but what about the Apps I have purchased and so on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 ding-dong

I got an iphone 3g a couple of days ago in carphone warehouse and I think it may have a problem. In the darkness I can see a strip of light coming out out of the left side of the screen (all along the left side) - it kind of looks like this:
    http://att.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=125570&d=1216638281

Apparently (not sure about this) this light leak can cause dust to get under the screen like so:
    http://att.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=126645&d=1217199414

The gap appears to be only like 1mm and is totally invisible when there is light...I called up apple and they told me to bring it back to the shop - where it will be impossible to show this problem. Anyway I was wondering if anyone else here has had this problem, as it seems to be quite common. Should I bring it back? Is this a petty issue? The phone is perfect otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Columba Rad

I have a 3G iPhone, that I'm using with meteor, I'm using a Universal sim with it, it was originally a o2 phone.

It's not reading the sim card contacts, how can I get the iPhone to read the contacts? I have Simport but I can't install ibricker as I thinks it's for the 1st gen iPhone.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭scunermac

Hey guys, I just want to pick everyones brains on this one.
    I am currently in the process of buying a fully unlocked Italian Iphone. The problem is, The seller says her activated the Iphone already via Itunes as he said it had to be activated via an Italian sim, otherwise it would not work fully for me. My question is this, is he taking me for a ride and the Iphone isn't fully unlocked? Or if it is, now that he has activated the Iphone already via his Itunes account, does that mean that I cannot link the Iphone to my account and purchase songs and apps off Itunes with MY account???
    Anyway, thanks for your time guys, I'd appreciate any feedback on this please.
    Regards
    Scuner

scunermac wrote: »
    I am currently in the process of buying a fully unlocked Italian Iphone. The problem is, The seller says her activated the Iphone already via Itunes as he said it had to be activated via an Italian sim, otherwise it would not work fully for me. My question is this, is he taking me for a ride and the Iphone isn't fully unlocked? Or if it is, now that he has activated the Iphone already via his Itunes account, does that mean that I cannot link the Iphone to my account and purchase songs and apps off Itunes with MY account???
    Regards
    Scuner

Anyone at all? please guys, I really don't want to be out 600euro on a phone I can't use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Gnar

Can anyone help me , im looking for information on purchasing an i phone in the states and using it back in Ireland.Has anybody done this?any hints or tips .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

Anyone at all? please guys, I really don't want to be out 600euro on a phone I can't use.

I think some people here got Iphones in shops in Italy but they never got an Italian Sim with it so not sure if they activate the phone in the shop for them or the Italian Sim is not needed to activate. Activation only takes a minute.

Even if they activate it, you can buy your stuff as usual in Itunes.
    Gnar wrote: »
    Can anyone help me , im looking for information on purchasing an i phone in the states and using it back in Ireland.Has anybody done this?any hints or tips .

Is not as easy to get as the previous version as they will ask you to sing a contract with AT&T (not sure if they have them ready to go). Phone will be locked to AT&T so you will need one of the Universal Sim unlocks.

I was reading last week a Spanish provider was also selling the Iphone 3G unlock 8gb for €599 (you could get it online) you needed a Spanish name and address for delivery. Searched just now but cannot find it.

• Advertisement

nava wrote: »
    I think some people here got Iphones in shops in Italy but they never got an Italian Sim with it so not sure if they activate the phone in the shop for them or the Italian Sim is not needed to activate. Activation only takes a minute.

Thanks a million for that. I'm just being paranoid, but you can never be too careful on EBay. I think I'll go ahead with it. Got it for a good price, thats also whats making me paranoid.....:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭carrotcake

Regards
    Scuner
    You don't need an Italian SIM to activate it, any SIM works. As for the iTunes accounts, I'm not sure, but I can't see it causing any trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭runswithascript

Thanks a million for that. I'm just being paranoid, but you can never be too careful on EBay. I think I'll go ahead with it. Got it for a good price, thats also whats making me paranoid.....:confused:

Please let us know how it works out.

LA3G wrote: »
    Please let us know how it works out.

Great, now I'm a test subject, cheers guys...:p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭runswithascript

Great, now I'm a test subject, cheers guys...:p

:D

I was just checking ebay there to see if I could locate your seller. Have you a link? I'm assuming she's dealing in them...

Also I Paypal are now offering protection up to €1000 so see if you can sign up to it before you... unless you already have?

LA3G wrote: »
    :D

I was just checking ebay there to see if I could locate your seller. Have you a link? I'm assuming she's dealing in them...

Also I Paypal are now offering protection up to €1000 so see if you can sign up to it before you... unless you already have?

Here is the link to the item....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220295121160&ssPageName=ADME:B:BCA:GB:1123

But how exactly do I sign up for the 1000euro protection from Paypal? That would be great if I could do that as it would give me some peace of mind.
    Do you think there will be any trouble with the Iphone?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭colm_c

600 euro on a phone, why don't you buy the o2 prepay one and stick in your own sim card?

It's cheaper and much less hassle.

colm_c wrote: »
    600 euro on a phone, why don't you buy the o2 prepay one and stick in your own sim card?

It's cheaper and much less hassle.

I have thought about this, but I'm with Meteor at the moment and don't want to change. And the whole TurboSim crap doesn't appeal to me at all. I want an Iphone that all I have to do is enter my sim and away I go.
    Plus the resale value of an unlocked Iphone, as apposed to a locked one, makes it worth while.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 lightroom

Gnar wrote: »

None of the iphones sold in the US is unlocked by Apple, what's the point of getting one there whereas you can have on in Ireland.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 lightroom

I have thought about this, but I'm with Meteor at the moment and don't want to change. And the whole TurboSim crap doesn't appeal to me at all. I want an Iphone that all I have to do is enter my sim and away I go.
    Plus the resale value of an unlocked Iphone, as apposed to a locked one, makes it worth while.

Exactly what I thought and that was why I went for my unlocked Italian iphone.....by the way, what a bargain price you got there!!!:eek:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement