Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3G iPhone Thread - [sourcing Qs / news about 3G iPhone here *ONLY* !!!]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

scunermac wrote: »
    I have thought about this, but I'm with Meteor at the moment and don't want to change. And the whole TurboSim crap doesn't appeal to me at all. I want an Iphone that all I have to do is enter my sim and away I go.
    Plus the resale value of an unlocked Iphone, as apposed to a locked one, makes it worth while.

Not valid points in my opinion........

TurboSims/uni Unlock work just fine, the only problem you would have is if you need to change the sim a lot, it becomes a pain then and I have broken my Turbo because of it.

Unless you plan to resell very soon, the resale thing is not an issue.

The 3G WILL be unlocked at some point, its a matter of when not if.

I am guessing it will be unlocked before you come to sell your phone, thus making any + resale value void.

Then there is the issue of all those people that will have had the 3G 18 months and their contract is up, the ones that upgrade to the 32Gb/3rd gen iphone will want to sell their current iphone, which now by law will be unlocked to them. Again wiping out any resale value you have at the moment.

Then we have the final issue............I would much rather go into an irish O2 shop and hand the iphone over if anything went wrong.....if you get one from Italy, even though its still covered by Apple......I would be interested to see how easy it is to sort.....knowing Apple they will want to have it sent from Italy.......

• Registered Users Posts: 23 lightroom

Here is the link to the item....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220295121160&ssPageName=ADME:B:BCA:GB:1123

But how exactly do I sign up for the 1000euro protection from Paypal? That would be great if I could do that as it would give me some peace of mind.
    Do you think there will be any trouble with the Iphone?

As long as it's from Italy, it should be fine, the one m using is from Italy, i've been using it for three plus weeks, no problem at all,chip in your sim and you are ready to go. If you can get it jailbroken, it's even better.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭scunermac

lightroom wrote: »
    Exactly what I thought and that was why I went for my unlocked Italian iphone.....by the way, what a bargain price you got there!!!:eek:

Cheers. By the way, how is your Italian Iphone going, any problems? I just had another message from my seller and he says he will provide me with the Itunes account details that he created to activate the phone. Will that allow me to purchase music, etc, off the Irish Itunes account? Or do you think its a bit dodgey he has already activated it? what do you guys think?

.by the way, what a bargain price you got there!!!:eek:

488.00 GBP = 628.742 EUR

Cheers. By the way, how is your Italian Iphone going, any problems? I just had another message from my seller and he says he will provide me with the Itunes account details that he created to activate the phone. Will that allow me to purchase music, etc, off the Irish Itunes account? Or do you think its a bit dodgey he has already activated it? what do you guys think?

You don't need him to activate it for you, you just need to insert a simcard and connect iphone to your itunes, that's it. You don't even need to do anything to activate it. Just tell the seller to leave it alone and sealed, you can do it yourself. Don't let him open it, that's my suggestion.

• Advertisement

488.00 GBP = 628.742 EUR

coz you don't normally get an iphone 3G 16gb for less than 750 including shipping.

My iphone works perfectly fine, every function works, no problem at all. Hope you can get yours soon. It's a must have gadget:D

coz you don't normally get an iphone 3G 16gb for less than 750 including shipping.
    :eek::eek::eek: Why would someone pay that much?

16GB iPhone 3G from €569 from O2..............turbo sim €10...........I really cant see the appeal of eBay for the iphone anymore.

I know however I will not get this point as so many of you have got your phone from eBay with no probs......but for anyone looking to get one now I think you would have to be mad not to go the route I suggested a few posts ago.............

:eek::eek::eek: Why would someone pay that much?

16GB iPhone 3G from €569 from O2..............turbo sim €10...........I really cant see the appeal of eBay for the iphone anymore.

I know however I will not get this point as so many of you have got your phone from eBay with no probs......but for anyone looking to get one now I think you would have to be mad not to go the route I suggested a few posts ago.............

I am not exaggerating here,that's the normal price for legally unlocked iphones on ebay. The reason why I recommend legally unlocked iphone is because I had an locked iphone 3G which I tried to unlock by using a Turbosim, everything else worked, but I can't receive phone calls,nor txt messages. I had no choice but to sell it for less than what I got it for. Now I am pretty happy with my truely unlocked one.

Also, I doubt the iphone 3G unlock will be out there anytime soon as iphone-dev posts their progress on the web, Apple will also use those information to improve the security by releasing new firmware.

Finally, I have no problem against Turbosim unlocked iphones, they are for sure cheaper, probably my turbosim wasn't the best one out there.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Columba Rad

I have a 3G iPhone, that I'm using with meteor, I'm using a Universal sim with it, it was originally a o2 phone.

It's not reading the sim card contacts, how can I get the iPhone to read the contacts? I have Simport but I can't install ibricker as I thinks it's for the 1st gen iPhone.

Thanks
    Any ideas?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭mobius42

Any ideas?

I think this has come up a good few times, but it's impossible to find anything in this thread!:D You don't need to download any software to import your SIM contacts since the 2.0 firmware. Just go to Settings > Mail,Contacts,Calendars > Import SIM Contacts

As an aside, maybe an iPhone FAQ would be a good idea?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Columba Rad

mobius42 wrote: »
    I think this has come up a good few times, but it's impossible to find anything in this thread!:D You don't need to download any software to import your SIM contacts since the 2.0 firmware. Just go to Settings > Mail,Contacts,Calendars > Import SIM Contacts

As an aside, maybe an iPhone FAQ would be a good idea?
    Yep done a search of this thread and could not find the answer. When I go to Settings > Mail,Contacts,Calendars there is no "Import SIM Contacts" option. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭mobius42

Yep done a search of this thread and could not find the answer. When I go to Settings > Mail,Contacts,Calendars there is no "Import SIM Contacts" option. :(

Are you sure? You have to scroll down a bit to where the contacts heading is. Since you have a 3G iPhone I can't see how that option isn't there. What version firmware do you have?

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Irishdancer

Hi,

As i'm going to US in December, I'm thinking of buying one of those cool looking iphones. I see there's a new iphone 3G just been launched. Has anyone any knowledge of these phones or what the advantages of buying a 3G one would be over the existing one. i love the look and feel of the iphone and think it is a really cool gadget, as well as being a pretty good phone.

Can anyone advise me as to whether they will work here in Ireland? Or do i have to have it gunthered by some backstreet guy to get it to work?

I presume it would be cheaper in US than here?

Any help appreciated

:):confused::)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

Hi,

As i'm going to US in December, I'm thinking of buying one of those cool looking iphones. I see there's a new iphone 3G just been launched. Has anyone any knowledge of these phones or what the advantages of buying a 3G one would be over the existing one. i love the look and feel of the iphone and think it is a really cool gadget, as well as being a pretty good phone.

Can anyone advise me as to whether they will work here in Ireland? Or do i have to have it gunthered by some backstreet guy to get it to work?

I presume it would be cheaper in US than here?

Any help appreciated

:):confused::)

I would suggest you the read the charter and use the search function before you get flamed. Your question has been asked and answered many times before.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

The iProne is prob one of the worst phones on the market, try copying and pasting something.... Oh yeah Apple decided you can't do that.... Don't waste your money.

MC

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

The iphone is neither as good as some people say it is, nor as bad as some people say it is. Beauty is, as always, in the eye of the beholder.

OP: You should check the 3G iphone thread in this forum for details. To sum up - you can't buy a 3G iphone in the States without signing up to a contract in the store. 3G iphones cannot yet be software-unlocked, so if you do manage to get one out of the shop, you'll need a SIM adapter to use it with an Irish SIM.

Hey guys, just to update you all on my purchase, I pulled out of buying the Iphone from that seller on Ebay (so I'm in a bit of trouble with Ebay now, lol), as some of the info he was giving me seemed a bit odd. I have decided to switch from meteor to O2 and by a speakeasy Iphone from Carphone warehouse (as I get a 10% discount there).
    I may look into getting a Turbo sim in the future. Thanks all for your feedback lately here, it was a great help.
    P.S. Anyone know where I could get a Turbo Sim that will definately work?
    Cheers guys

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭carrotcake

Hey guys, just to update you all on my purchase, I pulled out of buying the Iphone from that seller on Ebay (so I'm in a bit of trouble with Ebay now, lol), as some of the info he was giving me seemed a bit odd.
    I'm sure the seller won't mind too much. Given that they go for €569 in Italy, he would have made a loss after eBay and PayPal charges!

carrotcake wrote: »
    I'm sure the seller won't mind too much. Given that they go for €569 in Italy, he would have made a loss after eBay and PayPal charges!

To be honest that was one of the things that I found weird and why I pulled out, just didn't seem right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭runswithascript

Make an iPhone sub forum or at least some IPhone FAQ stickies. This is ridiculous.
    colm_c wrote: »
    600 euro on a phone, why don't you buy the o2 prepay one and stick in your own sim card?

It's cheaper and much less hassle.

Has anybody got a pre-order on a black model when they come in and how long are they saying it will take?
    I have thought about this, but I'm with Meteor at the moment and don't want to change. And the whole TurboSim crap doesn't appeal to me at all.

What's wrong with TurboSim and why isn't it equivalent to an unlocked phone for practical use, i.e. resale aside.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

The iProne is prob one of the worst phones on the market, try copying and pasting something....

Based on what? Your opinion?

Several million iPhone owners might just disagree with you.

Several hundred million Nokia, Samsung and (Enter any brand here) users would beg to differ, try doing basic things like the above, disabled by the frimware, farce.

MC

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭jessy

Several hundred million Nokia, Samsung and (Enter any brand here) users would beg to differ, try doing basic things like the above, disabled by the frimware, farce.

MC

You seem to be under the illusion that an iPhone user has never used any other phone??? Please stop generalizing! if you have used the iPhone and don’t like it then please state the reasons why you don’t think its a good phone and leave it at that, saying that it is the worst phone on the market is an absolute joke!! Why because it can’t copy and paste??:rolleyes:

I have owned at least 10+ Phone from lots of different Manufactures and find the iPhone to be quite good! as phones go its very easy to use and the Software base is expanding every day! its got a great music player (ipod) and a full web browser. it will take you a few days to get used to the keypad but after that its all good ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

try doing basic things like the above, disabled by the frimware, farce.

Disabled by firmware or not implemented because they couldn't get it to feel intuitive?

Not everybody needs cut and paste, a good camera, fm radio, gps, and so on. It fulfills my needs, that's what matters to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

iphone 3G can't be bought in NY without a 2 year contract, there is a topic on this already-all your answers HAVE to be in it somewhere:D

Can a MOD move this to the appropriate thread please

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    Disabled by firmware or not implemented because they couldn't get it to feel intuitive?

Not everybody needs cut and paste, a good camera, fm radio, gps, and so on. It fulfills my needs, that's what matters to me.

Fair enough but those are very basic tasks for a phone in this class.

MC

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

If you've got an iPhone and Sky+ it's your lucky day. There's a new app called TV Plus (€3.99) that gives you access to 7 day epg and remote record. It's much, much easier than using the sky.com site on the iPhone. I wouldn't have recommended it a few hours ago as it didn't support Irish channels but it's just been updated:D. The developer seems to be very helpful too.

This thread has turned out to be something else and should be locked..........

But not before I add this, I have an iphone, I dispise Apple, more than anyone I know.

I was so hoping that one of the WinMo phones were good but the truth is every single one of them is sluggish and clunky..............every single one, and I have tried them all.........X1, Omina..............the lot, they all have one problem, the OS is shockingly bad.

So I got an iphone as I wanted something I could use for music and web and email.

The GPS is not great, battery life is rubbish, it can crash programs for no reason......but its smooth and responsive most of the time.

I am praying for a good Android phone to come along and as soon as one does...............the embarrassing iphone will be on its merry little smug way!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,168 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

The iphone is a mutant, it dosen't do all the things you'd expect a phone with that price tag to do but it does loads of things you'd never expect a phone to do......It can really annoy you at times...like when your friend with the €49 meteor phone asks what's wrong with your bluetooth...you can be left speechless....:rolleyes:

if your into Internet, Music and cool stuff you won't find a better phone than the iphone.....it really is Next Generation....

as for buying a 3G iphone from the states it's a pretty bad idea as the iphone 3G is not fully unlockable and jailbroken yet.......if you have access to a wifi network at home the iphone 2G might be the one to pick up in the states, it also looks cooler with the steel back as opposed to the plastic back on the 3G iphone....

damm 02 and there 18mt contrats, I really want an iphone 3G but there's no way i'm going to tie myself into an 18mt contact with a 2mp camera...:mad:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement