Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3G iPhone Thread - [sourcing Qs / news about 3G iPhone here *ONLY* !!!]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

damm 02 and there 18mt contrats, I really want an iphone 3G but there's no way i'm going to tie myself into an 18mt contact with a 2mp camera...:mad:

WOW when did they add the camera?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

with the first iphone?

albeit a slow sluggish 2mpx camera that cant take video nor do anything else for that matter
    had an Iphone for a week

LOVED it especially the web browsing but i absolutely hated the awful camera and that kids is why i got me a nice and shiny n95 8gb
    thats a REAL mans phone :p

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

The iphone is a mutant, it dosen't do all the things you'd expect a phone with that price tag to do but it does loads of things you'd never expect a phone to do......It can really annoy you at times...like when your friend with the €49 meteor phone asks what's wrong with your bluetooth...you can be left speechless....:rolleyes:

if your into Internet, Music and cool stuff you won't find a better phone than the iphone.....it really is Next Generation....

as for buying a 3G iphone from the states it's a pretty bad idea as the iphone 3G is not fully unlockable and jailbroken yet.......if you have access to a wifi network at home the iphone 2G might be the one to pick up in the states, it also looks cooler with the steel back as opposed to the plastic back on the 3G iphone....

damm 02 and there 18mt contrats, I really want an iphone 3G but there's no way i'm going to tie myself into an 18mt contact with a 2mp camera...:mad:

why not buy one on 3? oh no wait....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,168 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

krudler wrote: »
    why not buy one on 3? oh no wait....:D

it's completly stupid it's not available here on 3..:mad:...Shame on Apple..:mad:

Hong Kong Only.....http://iphone.three.com.hk/website/en/roi.html :confused:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

LOVED it especially the web browsing but i absolutely hated the awful camera and that kids is why i got me a nice and shiny n95 8gb
    thats a REAL mans phone :p
    You could have course opted to buy REAL man's camera.

If if want a shot worthy of printing I'll use a DSLR, if I want a shot of a friend pulling a face to show on my iPhone screen, 2 MP is plenty. :)

• Advertisement

digitaldr wrote: »
    If you've got an iPhone and Sky+ it's your lucky day. There's a new app called TV Plus (€3.99) that gives you access to 7 day epg and remote record. It's much, much easier than using the sky.com site on the iPhone. I wouldn't have recommended it a few hours ago as it didn't support Irish channels but it's just been updated:D. The developer seems to be very helpful too.
    Man, if that works that is cool!

I don't suppose they'll release one for NTLs DVR setup... :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

Actually works really well

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭cerbeus

Any one experience problems access the Irish App store from the Iphone after updating to 2.1?

Friend of mine updated his Iphone and since then can't buy anything using the app store on his Iphone.

Op would you not forget about the iphone and get a mac book air while your over there.....now there really cool;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭vinnycoyne

he might need to log in to his iTunes store account first, then sync his phone.

either that or he needs to update his payment details.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

Op would you not forget about the iphone and get a mac book air while your over there.....now there really cool;)

I hope that was your idea of being sarcastic otherwise you'll start a flame war regarding that particular laptop. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,246 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Can you buy a first gen iPhone anywhere these days?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Santa Claus

The iProne is prob one of the worst phones on the market, try copying and pasting something.... Oh yeah Apple decided you can't do that.... Don't waste your money.

MC

Only Nokia phone I have ever been able to copy and paste on was my 9300 communicator and that was the size of a brick. I used it a few times in emails etc but it wouldn't be a must have feature in anyones book I'd imagine !

Can you buy a first gen iPhone anywhere these days?

I have a unlocked and jailbroken one...might be up for grabs very shortly...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

Only Nokia phone I have ever been able to copy and paste on was my 9300 communicator and that was the size of a brick. I used it a few times in emails etc but it wouldn't be a must have feature in anyone's book I'd imagine !

I miss copy and paste..............but thats not the point, the point is, it is a basic function, that Apple told you you cant have and did not give any reason as to why.

Another example of Apples stupid overly secret crap, just tell people why you didnt add it to the iphone and tell them if its ever coming......

$100000000000 that they have it in the 3rd gen iphone and when StevieJ announces it the crowd will go wild, some wetting their pants, all smiling smugly, knowingly.................something about Apple users really pi55es me off.............they remind me of Scientology people.

Dont even get me started on the Air.

Godskitchen.................iphone user.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,879 ✭✭✭Soarer

So let me get this right.
    The 3g iphone is €500+ PAYG on O2, and you can't send/receive multimedia messages??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭mobius42

Soarer wrote: »
    So let me get this right.
    The 3g iphone is €500+ PAYG on O2, and you can't send/receive multimedia messages??

You can't receive them to the phone's messaging app, but you can view them online on the phone.
    For most people, this isn't a dealbreaker. I have never sent a picture message in my life and since the iPhone has email, I can send and receive high res images for free. Why would I pay 25c to send a crappy image? Also, Meteor have a facility that you can send someone a picture message by emailing a certain address (not sure if the other operators have this). Now copy and paste on the other hand...:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Mr Bloat

mobius42 wrote: »
    Now copy and paste on the other hand...:(

How hard can it be to code a copy and paste app? There's one on Cydia that's still in beta and the dev says is still very buggy but why haven't Apple allowed an official one to be developed and put on the App Store? Or better yet, integrate the bloody feature into the OS themselves! Seriously, I love my iphone but no copy and paste really gets on my nerves sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

The Air is actually very similar to the iPhone. All style and very little substance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭mobius42

I imagine they're having trouble with how to implement it on a touch screen interface. If you think about how you move the cursor around and scroll pages on an iPhone, that rules out being able to select text by just dragging your finger across the screen. They have to invent something different for text selection.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

unless you need net access where your network permits, just get an ipod touch.

the iphone is let down by the phone/camera. everything else on it is nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

unless you need net access where your network permits, just get an ipod touch.

the iphone is let down by the phone/camera. everything else on it is nice.

What do you mean it's let down by the Phone/Camera?
    The phone is excellent, good reception, decent battery, once the initial playing with it period wears off 2 days is what I usually get.

The camera is a 2mega pixel, which takes surprisingly good outdoor shots (albeit without a flash) very quickly, unlike most other phones I have ever used. It's difficult enough to get real digi cameras to take decent indoor shots, almost impossible for Camera phones! Try using a Nokia or SE camera about 5 secs between shots required.

And as for all the other things it can do, I have yet to see a single device that comes close to it in all round user friendliness and functionality.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

Mr Bloat wrote: »
    How hard can it be to code a copy and paste app? There's one on Cydia that's still in beta and the dev says is still very buggy but why haven't Apple allowed an official one to be developed and put on the App Store? Or better yet, integrate the bloody feature into the OS themselves! Seriously, I love my iphone but no copy and paste really gets on my nerves sometimes.

I have read on other sites that apple say this feature is coming but at the moment is not a priority, also rumours that it may be available in update 2.2

http://blog.wired.com/gadgets/2008/09/iphone-22-safar.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭vinnycoyne

No sign of it in 2.2 so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭edanto

I think this has come up a good few times, but it's impossible to find anything in this thread!:D

This thread is a mess!! What's the point of having a thread with over two and a half thousand posts. Why in the world should all iPhone questions be bundled into just one thread.

I can understand something like iPhone availability having it's own thread - but mixing in all other kinds of random discussion makes it really tedious to get any use from it.

Can the mod change the thread rules pls?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

edanto wrote: »
    This thread is a mess!! What's the point of having a thread with over two and a half thousand posts. Why in the world should all iPhone questions be bundled into just one thread.

I can understand something like iPhone availability having it's own thread - but mixing in all other kinds of random discussion makes it really tedious to get any use from it.

Can the mod change the thread rules pls?

I think the mod stated the rules regarding this thread more clearly in a thread in feedback
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=57290947&postcount=62
    Above is a link to his post.

But a quick summary is this thread is for news and availability about the 3g iphone, for other queries not related to news about or availability feel free to create a new thread.

A little FAQ might be no harm...........

Like answers on importing from Italy/USA

Turbo SIMS

What the iphone can and cant do........mms, copy/paste and how you get around this

Details on where to go if you wish to jailbreak.

Maybe a list of recommended free and paid for apps, similar to the Essential Free Software section in computers.

Recommended eBay sellers for those that want to import.

Any more?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

Hey guys,

I just got my iphone the other day. Very impressed so far the controls look and feel of the device are way ahead of my previous phones.

Anyway, can you guys recommend any applications tips and tricks?

Thanks in advance.

I imagine they're having trouble with how to implement it on a touch screen interface. If you think about how you move the cursor around and scroll pages on an iPhone, that rules out being able to select text by just dragging your finger across the screen. They have to invent something different for text selection.
    I'm pretty sure those big brains could come up with something. How about:

Place your cursor where you want to start cutting/copying; touch a new key on the keyboard interface (could be behind a clickthru like some characters) to tell the app you are going to highlight text; Use your finger to highlight up or down all you want; touch cut or copy on the keyboard.

Sort it out Apple!

• Advertisement

I dont think it can do copy/paste because the OS wont let things run in the background..........thus making any temp memory useless.

I might have it all wrong.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement