Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3G iPhone Thread - [sourcing Qs / news about 3G iPhone here *ONLY* !!!]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

I dont think it can do copy/paste because the OS wont let things run in the background..........thus making any temp memory useless.

I might have it all wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,933 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I dont think it can do copy/paste because the OS wont let things run in the background..........thus making any temp memory useless.

It looks like you have no problem with copy and paste :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭vinnycoyne

Apple apps can run in the background, just not third-party apps.

Mail, Clock, Phone, iPod all run in the background...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭NiSmO

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭johnk123

Ok, im kinda freaking out right now....

I had my iphone out and was playing a game, then sent a text message, then checked twitteriffic and hit the sleep wake button and put it in my pocket.

The next time i take it out, nothing happens. So i presume the battery is dead. I go and plug it in and it makes the bong as if its on and i plug in the charger. I hook it up with itunes and it does the usual "backing up....", but all this time, nothing appears on the screen.

I'm doing a itunes restore now in the hope that it might do something.

Any Idea's would be greatly appreciated

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭misslt

John

Hope its fixed for you now, if not try resetting it (hold the home key and the sleep button for 10s) it should wake up, mines done that a few times!!

My question is I have an O2-UK iPhone and am wondering will my O2-IRL 3G sim work in it or will I need to get it unlocked?

Cheers!

Ok, it's all ok! I just connected it to itunes andhit restore and it did its thing for a few minutes and it just started up as usual after the restore. Thank God for that!

johnk123 wrote: »
    Ok, it's all ok! I just connected it to itunes andhit restore and it did its thing for a few minutes and it just started up as usual after the restore. Thank God for that!

Yep, thank god indeed, it really puts world hunger into perspective, doesnt it?
    ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭sdevine89

this has probably being asked bu thread is too large to look through

on o2 ireland u hav 1gb of data included per month

how much data wud say using maps for a couple of mins use up?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭jpfahy

A friend of mine just got two iphones in O2 Grafton Street so they have stock!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Stephen P

I've had my iPhone for nearly 3 months and my usage is less than 200MB. I would use YouTube a good bit and also maps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭mobius42

I've had an iPhone since March and I've barely used 1GB since then! I browse full websites on it every day. Since you can't use the iPhone to download files or look at flash videos, it's actually quite difficult to use a lot of data. I've asked on this forum and on the O2 forum whether anyone has ever gone over the 1GB limit and no-one ever replied that they had.
    What I was surprised about O2's 1GB of data is that they give you an actual gigabyte: 1024 MB. I thought they would have pulled the hard drive manufacturer's scam of 1GB = 1000MB.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,933 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

mobius42 wrote: »
    I thought they would have pulled the hard drive manufacturer's scam of 1GB = 1000MB.

I think they done that with the internal memory on the 16gb, because mine is only 14.7gb.

I downloaded an album from iTunes recently and it works fine. Today when I signed into iTunes it tells me I have 32 songs to download. I looked into it and it is trying to download the album again, Twice! Is there anyway to delete these from the list as I am only on dial up and don't wanna slow up my connection redownloading them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

I think they done that with the internal memory on the 16gb, because mine is only 14.7gb.

Yup. I really think it's time people actually start complaining about this.

Anyhow, does anyone know if daylight savings time will update automatically? My iPhone's still an hour ahead of time.

Yup. I really think it's time people actually start complaining about this.

Anyhow, does anyone know if daylight savings time will update automatically? My iPhone's still an hour ahead of time.

Mine updated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

Take away the OS, file structure etc and you'll find it all adds up to 16

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

Mine's updated now. Still surprised at how long it took, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭cance

Got my iPhone yesterday, the lack of flash player, copy/paste,customizeable shortcuts, unchangeable black desktop and rdp client leaves me with a sense of disapointment tbh. If this was a new device I could justify it as teething issues but the iPhone has been around for ages and still these crappy short comings are present.

Overall disapointed with this glorified money sink.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 16,582 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

why did you buy it? all those things are well known. nothing makes less sense than buying something that is missing a feature you want then bitching and moaning afterward that is doesn't have the feature. Of course it feckin doesn't.

cance wrote: »
    Got my iPhone yesterday, the lack of flash player, copy/paste,customizeable shortcuts, unchangeable black desktop and rdp client leaves me with a sense of disapointment tbh. If this was a new device I could justify it as teething issues but the iPhone has been around for ages and still these crappy short comings are present.

I agree. Why did you buy it then??

Oh, and if you want changeable backround and themes, jailbreak your iphone and get them that way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Why did you get it? All these issues have been known for ages. The iPod excels at internet access, which is the main reason to get one IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭cance

BostonB wrote: »
    Why did you get it? All these issues have been known for ages. The iPod excels at internet access, which is the main reason to get one IMO.

ah I should have done some homework granted, I was I only aware of the mms problem prior to buying it, for what the iPhone does, it does it well, I just feel it has so much unreached potential.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,260 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Look for "WinAdmin" for RDP. Works quite well.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭sdevine89

Is there any idea when flash will be available I know adobe have said they are developing it,but are we talking months or years

Also what does the E which sometimes replaces 3g in the top left mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭misslt

sdevine89 wrote: »
    Is there any idea when flash will be available I know adobe have said they are developing it,but are we talking months or years

Also what does the E which sometimes replaces 3g in the top left mean?

I'm nearly sure its EDGE technology?

I live in a fairly rural area so at home I get a little blue dot, in bigger towns I get the E and in the city I get 3G.

So I'm guessing the dot is GPRS, the E is EDGE and the 3G is fairly obvious.

Open to correction though :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

misslt wrote: »
    I'm nearly sure its EDGE technology?

I live in a fairly rural area so at home I get a little blue dot, in bigger towns I get the E and in the city I get 3G.

So I'm guessing the dot is GPRS, the E is EDGE and the 3G is fairly obvious.

Open to correction though :)

Any idea of the coverage of the 3g network? I can get 3g when I'm in town (Galway city) but at home, about 2 miles from the city centre, I can only get Edge coverage.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement