Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3G iPhone Thread - [sourcing Qs / news about 3G iPhone here *ONLY* !!!]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭portlairge

have a 3g iphone on the way from the uk unlocked anyone know if it will work on the 3 network here.....

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

portlairge wrote: »
    have a 3g iphone on the way from the uk unlocked anyone know if it will work on the 3 network here.....

If it's truly unlocked then yes. How was it unlocked?

dont know how it was unlocked but was told it is unlocked as he was using it on vodafone network could be one of those turbo sims or similar but was just told unlocked.. just wanted to know if it would work on 3 i got it fairly good.. if its not unlocked i presume i can get it done here somewhere..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,260 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Is there another thread for this....not sure?

Google Earth for iPhone
    http://www.iphoneatlas.com/2008/10/26/google-earth-comes-to-the-iphone/

Works quite well.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,933 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

dont know how it was unlocked but was told it is unlocked as he was using it on vodafone network could be one of those turbo sims or similar but was just told unlocked.. just wanted to know if it would work on 3 i got it fairly good.. if its not unlocked i presume i can get it done here somewhere..
    There is no way to unlock the iPhone 3G. You will need a turbosim to do this for you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭carrotcake

People really need to do some research before handing over €600+ for a phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,873 ✭✭✭Steve X2

hey,
    I am going to pickup an iphone 16gb in the next few weeks if they are in stock. I am going for the prepay option as i dont want to sign my life away for 18months. Can someone let me know if O2 ask for any details when getting these prepay phones. Do they need ID etc or can i walk in with the cash and just buy it.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 mrpropre

Apologies if anybody already answered this question a million times, but I had a look at the thread and I couldn't really find more info.

I asked a friend of mine to get me an iPhone from Italy - unlocked by the network. Meaning it's still sealed and there isn't any sort of jailbreak, etc, but a brand new genuine operator unlocked iPhone 3G. To avoid any warranty issues, he's going to activate the iPhone using the Italian SIM card contained in the bundle.
    I'm with o2 here in Ireland, and I was wondering: what sort of settings to I need to setup to use it in 3G with the 99 cents per day offer?

You don't need to set anything up. I was in Ireland last weekend with an O2 prepaid SIM in my Italian iPhone and it automatically got O2's 3G settings and started using the 99c tariff.

carrotcake wrote: »
    You don't need to set anything up. I was in Ireland last weekend with an O2 prepaid SIM in my Italian iPhone and it automatically got O2's 3G settings and started using the 99c tariff.
    Sounds great carrotcake! :)
    Let me get this right: you have an Italian iPhone 3G bought in a TIM/Vodafone shop. When visiting Ireland, you just popped into it your o2 SIM and started using your iPhone straight away? In 3G? :cool: Were there not different settings with o2 when using 2G and 3G?

• Advertisement

mrpropre wrote: »
    Sounds great carrotcake! :)
    Let me get this right: you have an Italian iPhone 3G bought in a TIM/Vodafone shop. When visiting Ireland, you just popped into it your o2 SIM and started using your iPhone straight away? In 3G? :cool: Were there not different settings with o2 when using 2G and 3G?
    Exactly. The iPhone falls back to 2G when there's no 3G available. It somehow knows all the settings already so you don't even need to think about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭randomer

TrueDub wrote: »
    If it's truly unlocked then yes. How was it unlocked?

I have an Italian 3g Iphone which is factory unlocked (due to the law in italy). It works really well on three.

I was in the US recently on holdidays and I bought an AT&T go phone. I put the sim into my (unlocked) iphone and paid 19.99 for their all you can use data package. This allowed me to use all of the data services on my holiday for less than 20 dollars.

Exactly. The iPhone falls back to 2G when there's no 3G available. It somehow knows all the settings already so you don't even need to think about it.
    Can I ask if you bought it from Vodafone or TIM. Also, are you Italian?

Can I ask if you bought it from Vodafone or TIM. Also, are you Italian?
    Nah, I'm Irish, living abroad. I got the phone off eBay, but it is originally from Vodafone.

but it is originally from Vodafone.
    ...and were/are you using it with a Vodafone SIM or another Italian carrier's one? The reason why I'm asking is that I understand when the iPhone is activated via iTunes the SIM is linked to its IMEI by the carrier. So I wonder: should I not just better activate the iPhone with my o2 SIM plugged in?

...and were/are you using it with a Vodafone SIM or another Italian carrier's one?
    I haven't tried one myself, but the phone came already opened and activated.

I do know people who got iPhones from Italy and activated them no problem with non-Italian SIMs.

...and were/are you using it with a Vodafone SIM or another Italian carrier's one? The reason why I'm asking is that I understand when the iPhone is activated via iTunes the SIM is linked to its IMEI by the carrier. So I wonder: should I not just better activate the iPhone with my o2 SIM plugged in?

I activated mine with my three sim and it worked fine.

just got a 3g iphone from the uk it comes with a turbo sim and is locked to the o2 network but will it work on o2 here in ireland without the turbo sim..been the same networks and all that...just askin thangs would take ages to look throughall the previous pages..., thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭colm_c

just got a 3g iphone from the uk it comes with a turbo sim and is locked to the o2 network but will it work on o2 here in ireland without the turbo sim..been the same networks and all that...just askin thangs would take ages to look throughall the previous pages..., thanks

No, you need the turbosim.

• Advertisement

cheers thanks for the heads up ...wouldnt say its long till theres a software crack for the unlocking of the 3g anyway...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 dbarcari

Maybe you guys can help me on this?
    As of today at around 2pm, my iphone 3g went unresponsive. Black screen, nothing worked. Wouldn't turn on/off, nothing.
    I brought it into 02 and they said they'd sent it off and I'd have it within 10 working days.
    But I'm after finding out about soft and hard resets now, and apparently I need to do a hard reset
    Can any of you explain this to me?

dbarcari wrote: »
    Maybe you guys can help me on this?
    As of today at around 2pm, my iphone 3g went unresponsive. Black screen, nothing worked. Wouldn't turn on/off, nothing.
    I brought it into 02 and they said they'd sent it off and I'd have it within 10 working days.
    But I'm after finding out about soft and hard resets now, and apparently I need to do a hard reset
    Can any of you explain this to me?

First results in google:
    http://www.notebooks.com/2007/07/02/how-to-reset-an-iphone/
    http://www.wikihow.com/Hard-Reset-an-iPhone

Ensure to backup your contacts - you should be able to do this anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭louis626

Is there anywhere I can get an iphone 3G in USA without signing up for AT&T contract as I am heading to NY next week? :cool:

louis626 wrote: »
    Is there anywhere I can get an iphone 3G in USA without signing up for AT&T contract as I am heading to NY next week? :cool:

Nope - no shops will sell them without a contract - they require proof of address, social security number etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

Hoyp.

Anyone know if there's a number you can dial to check your data use, phonecalls made and texts sent? I tried *110# and it didn't work - apparently that information is 'not available for my account'.

Do you have to use the website and add everything up manually?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Hoyp.

Anyone know if there's a number you can dial to check your data use, phonecalls made and texts sent? I tried *110# and it didn't work - apparently that information is 'not available for my account'.

On Meteor prepay use *#105#
    On O2 prepay use *113#

If you're on the iPhone plan you can go online and select

My Account -> Details since last bill -> Inclusive minutes

This gives what you've used from your allowance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭mobius42

Hoyp.

*111# will tell you the remaining units you have left. Also, on the O2 website there is a section telling you how many units you've left. This is for billpay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Nedved85

Lads, im new to this iPhone mallarkey, i have done a small bit of research and im slightly confused, basically im thinking of buying this http://cgi.ebay.ie/iphone-8GB-3G-3-g-Apple-Unlocked-UK-stock-post-UK_W0QQitemZ190263987547QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item190263987547&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1300%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1308

will that work out of the box on a meteor sim? Am i right in saying the 3G function will not work as of yet and i can only use 2G?

Thanks for the help:)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement