Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3G iPhone Thread - [sourcing Qs / news about 3G iPhone here *ONLY* !!!]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10 seamusmacspud

Hi Folks,

iphone 3G question for those in the know

Mate had iphone 2g phone which i unlocked, jailbroke etc for him and my pay as you go vodafone sim worked fine

Now, the missus bought me a 3G phone from states and although I know not possible to unlock them yet (jailbreak is fine) I have query about the sim card holder

The tray has the corner cut in top right on 2g phone and top left on 3g phone..if, and when ziphone and dev team crack baseband on 3g will my 2g sim work in it or do i need to go to vodafone and ask for a 3g SIM card ?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,933 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

It'll take any SIM card but just turned the opposite way. I wouldn't hold my breathe for it been unlockable anytime soon though. Best option is to go to get a new 3G sim card and also a turbo sim which should make it usable straight away.

It'll take any SIM card but just turned the opposite way. I wouldn't hold my breathe for it been unlockable anytime soon though. Best option is to go to get a new 3G sim card and also a turbo sim which should make it usable straight away.

Cheers Quazzie,

What you reckon to following link ? does this not sugegst they have unlocked 2.1 via Quickpwn and created the ipsw for windows users to use ?

http://www.iphone-hacks.com/2008/09/14/winpwn-30-to-unlock-and-jailbreak-iphone-21-with-windows/

• Registered Users Posts: 28,933 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

TBH Sean I ain't much of an expert. You'd be better off asking in this thread and you should get really good advice. Its the best thread for iPhone 3G there is and will answer most if not all questions you have

Hi Folks,

What you reckon to following link ? does this not sugegst they have unlocked 2.1 via Quickpwn and created the ipsw for windows users to use ?

http://www.iphone-hacks.com/2008/09/...-with-windows/

Also,

with the 3g phone, do I only have to swicth my 2g vod pay as u go simcard the reverse way round for it to work (if unlock on 3g is possible via this ipsw) ? does anyone know if vodafone will just switch my 2g payg sim for a 3g one ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

Hi Folks,

http://www.iphone-hacks.com/2008/09/...-with-windows/

Also,

with the 3g phone, do I only have to swicth my 2g vod pay as u go simcard the reverse way round for it to work (if unlock on 3g is possible via this ipsw) ? does anyone know if vodafone will just switch my 2g payg sim for a 3g one ?

It does unlock the Iphone 1st Gen only not the 3g.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭The Snapper

Picked up new iphone today :)

Anyone help with transferring my contact numbers / texts etc, from a blackberry :confused:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Anyone help with transferring my contact numbers / texts etc, from a blackberry :confused:
    Texts, I'd say you'd be very lucky...

Contacts, maybe easier.

With the iPhone you can sych your contacts through iTunes using something like Windows Address Book. (Start; Programs; Accessories; Address Book). If you can maybe get your contacts off the Blackberry into this program then you're in luck. :)

There may be other ways which someone can elaborate on.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,168 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Can the iphone 3G be unlocked and Jailbroken yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭metalfest

i think it can be jailbroken, not unlocked yet......oh well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,260 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

The Snapper

Are you in a corp environment? If you are your BB should be synched with your outlook over teh air. You just need iTunes installed and it will sync with Outlook, and in turn sync with the iPhone once paired.

If your not on a BES, use Blackberry desktop manager to synch with your Outlook and again synch with the iPhone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭The Batman

I've been looking for the best way to get a iphone for my meteor sim and i've settled on getting a leagally unlocked iphone. I dont want a iphone with a turbosim or jailbroken because i dont want to worry about my phone being locked anytime i put my iphone onto itunes.

The cheapest i've found costs around €800...which is way beyond my budget. I know you can get them in Italy and Hong Kong on ebay...has anybody done this and if so have you had any problems?

Also do any of ye know how i can yet it cheaper other then getting it on o2 prepay?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Drakar

If you search the forum there's a few threads on this. Basically the cost price in italy is 569 euros (16gb), with postage and markup 700 might be reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

The Batman wrote: »
    I've been looking for the best way to get a iphone for my meteor sim and i've settled on getting a leagally unlocked iphone. I dont want a iphone with a turbosim or jailbroken because i dont want to worry about my phone being locked anytime i put my iphone onto itunes.

The cheapest i've found costs around €800...which is way beyond my budget. I know you can get them in Italy and Hong Kong on ebay...has anybody done this and if so have you had any problems?

Also do any of ye know how i can yet it cheaper other then getting it on o2 prepay?

I got mine for 569€ in Italy. There are no problems. Your best bet is to get an Italian friend, if you have one, to buy it for you or ask someone who is going there to procure it for you. Indeed, if you're going to spend 700-800€ on eBay, you may as well get a cheap or tax-free Ryanair flight to Turin, buy the mobile and with the change, treat yourself to a splendid dinner at La Pace with a glass of sparkling Riesling del Veneto to start and to celebrate followed by a full bottle of local Roero. You''ll still have enough money left for a taxi home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Gekko

Phonesonline.ie are selling them

They still seem very expensive. Is the iphone on phonesonline.ie legally unlocked?

What do ye think of this offer? Do ye reckon there would be any problems with it? http://cgi.ebay.it/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&Item=110303778276&Category=153555null&_trksid=p3907.m29

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭[nicK]

http://rebelsimcard.com/virtu/

do these unlocks actually work with the iphone 3g?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

[nicK] wrote: »

sim unlocks work yeah
    Im not sure which ones or if its that one, Turbo Sim is the name most used around these here parts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭[nicK]

Rob_l wrote: »
    sim unlocks work yeah
    Im not sure which ones or if its that one, Turbo Sim is the name most used around these here parts

cool.. seems fairly straight forward, will probably go ahead and order it so..
    i was always under the impression that the 3g iphone could only be jailbroken, not unlocked, this looks like a great option if it works..

edit: also, just came across this link: http://www.unblocknow.org/index.html which seems easier again.. anyone any idea if this method works aswell?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,893 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Not worth the cost / hassle / risk. Change to O2 if you really really want an iPhone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭CivilEx

[nicK] wrote: »

The rebelsimcard will unlock the iPhone 3G and will work fine when on the 3G network (with Vodafone). If it drops back to the GPRS network you cannot receive incoming calls unless you turn off data roaming......not really a usable solution therefore unless you are willing to stay inside 3G coverage only.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭metalfest

have they found a solution??
    http://www.unblocknow.org/index.html

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭smackyB

metalfest wrote: »
    have they found a solution??
    http://www.unblocknow.org/index.html

This is a scam site, don't believe a word they say! The only ppl to trust are the iphone dev team: http://blog.iphone-dev.org/ . These guys came up with the original unlock and do all their unlocking work for free! They haven't got a working 3G unlock yet but keep an eye on the site.

With regard to the rebel simcard, that's what I've been using in my iphone 3g on vodafone these last few months (I also sell them to people) and it works great. I haven't had the issue of not being able to recieve calls when it drops back to gprs which the person a few posts back was reporting. The only issue I have with it is that it sometimes drops from the data network altogether which means restarting the phone to get data services back. Also when you travel outside of Ireland, it won't be able to get onto a foreign network unless you first put your sim card into another phone, get onto a network, and then put it back in the iphone. You have to repeat this when you back into Ireland.

It's not a perfect solution but it'll do until the dev team (hopefully!) come up with an unlock.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Gekko

Is the iphone on phonesonline.ie legally unlocked?

yes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭su_dios

Can I just point out that there is no point buying a legally unlocked iphone. The only reason you would do so is to keep the warranty, but for you to claim under warranty you would have to bring it back to italy and through the operator you bought it from. In Ireland(last time I checked) you must give your o2(bill or prepay) iphone to o2 and not to apple. Is the phone in Italy completely sim free? or is it bought unlocked with a simcard? Either way I have a feeling you'll need to be in Italy to claim under warranty as its only sold on o2 here and they deal with warranty.

Also your phone will NOT just become locked like that by plugging it into itunes. You would have to plug it in, accept the new firmware update and update your iphone through itunes before it would become temporarily locked again. You get enough of a warning there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 jmal1

iv replied to an ad about an 8gb 3g version ad says unlocked and jailbroken.. will my meteor PAYG sim work with it?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,520 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

Can the 3G be picked up over the counter in the USA ?

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭andrewh5

What's with all this 'legally unlocked' sh1te? Using a sim adaptor is not illegal and does not validate any warranty as it does not affect the software on the phone.

Legally unlocked means you can upgrade the software of your iphone without worrying about the phone being locked,also means you can put any sim straight in and it'll work to its full potential.

Anyways i bought the iphone off the italian ebay(the link is above). Cost around 630 in total....and €20 euro top up on meteor each month means i'll save money in the long run compared to the tariffs on o2 bill and will avoid the lack of offers on the o2 prepay(by this i mean the majority of my contacts or meteor....so they can still free text me without having to have free sms to all networks instead of free text and talk)!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭su_dios

Legally unlocked means you can upgrade the software of your iphone without worrying about the phone being locked,also means you can put any sim straight in and it'll work to its full potential.

Anyways i bought the iphone off the italian ebay(the link is above). Cost around 630 in total....and €20 euro top up on meteor each month means i'll save money in the long run compared to the tariffs on o2 bill and will avoid the lack of offers on the o2 prepay(by this i mean the majority of my contacts or meteor....so they can still free text me without having to have free sms to all networks instead of free text and talk)!!!

You are going to end up jailbreaking the phone at somestage anyway. Its not much of a hassle to update using pwnage tool anyway. If that was an 8gb though..you paid an awful lot to save a few mins of hassle updating!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement