Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3G iPhone Thread - [sourcing Qs / news about 3G iPhone here *ONLY* !!!]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭The Batman

I was under the impression that you cant upgrade a phone unless its under a contract or legally unlocked. Its a 16gb.

Su dios...why will i end up jailbreaking it? Surely there is no need when it is legally unlocked? Im new to all this phone malarky btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Honest Paul

Guys, I would just like to say thanks to all who contributed to this thread. I have found the information extremely valuable in my decision whether or not to purchase an iphone. In the end I bought the 16g from O2. I thought this would be a lot less hassle in the long run. Although a trip to Italy did seem inviting :o). Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

sharkman wrote: »
    Can the 3G be picked up over the counter in the USA ?

The rules in the states are the same as here as far as buying an iPhone...
    jmal1 wrote: »
    iv replied to an ad about an 8gb 3g version ad says unlocked and jailbroken.. will my meteor PAYG sim work with it?

If it's unlocked and jailbroken then yes, your sim should work fine. Obviously on meteor you won't have 3g (afaik) so browsing etc. will be expensive for you...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭PhoenixRising

Apologies if this has been asked before but this thread is way too big to wade through it all.

Simple question, I'm an O2 post-pay customer on a company plan, now that O2 are selling the iPhone 3G on pre-pay, can I buy one and just stick my existing sim in it? I have my doubts that it would be that straight forward..

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭metalfest

yes

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭mtbdude74

I'm on the verge of getting a 16G iphone and have gone through all the pages; all very informative.

Seems to me that with the O2 18month contract, I'd end up paying a total of just over €1000 for the phone and €45 tariff for that period. If i were to get one in Italy, it'll set me back €569 for the phone, and yet I'd end up paying €45 to o2 to sign on. In that equivalent 18 month period, I'd actually end up paying more by going the Italy route . Am I correct?

Also, if I break my 18mth contract early, presumably I have to cough up the outstanding €€, but to a total of €1000plus as above only. Will o2 then unlock the phone when I've paid up in full?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

mtbdude74 wrote: »
    I'm on the verge of getting a 16G iphone and have gone through all the pages; all very informative.

Seems to me that with the O2 18month contract, I'd end up paying a total of just over €1000 for the phone and €45 tariff for that period. If i were to get one in Italy, it'll set me back €569 for the phone, and yet I'd end up paying €45 to o2 to sign on. In that equivalent 18 month period, I'd actually end up paying more by going the Italy route . Am I correct?

Also, if I break my 18mth contract early, presumably I have to cough up the outstanding €€, but to a total of €1000plus as above only. Will o2 then unlock the phone when I've paid up in full?

no i dont believe o2 can unlock the iphone 3g so not matter what you pay them it will not be unlocked

• Registered Users Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Rob_l wrote: »
    no i dont believe o2 can unlock the iphone 3g so not matter what you pay them it will not be unlocked

Aren't they required to reveal the subsidy to the customer if asked; once paid off i'm not sure how they can legally withhold the code.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭menuisier

Hey guys i'm heading over to the states next week via london and i was thinking of picking up a prepay iphone in london at the current rates i can get a 16gig for 490 euro rather then 570 here also i want to use the phone with my vodphone sim would this be advisable? what are the possible pros and cons? would i have any problems with the warrenty, i should be able to use a vodafone sim without jailbreaking it isnt that right? also getting 3g on vodafone shouldnt be much trouble would it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭viper006

hey lads,

I was hoping someone cud please help me with this please? I tinking of buying a locked 3g iphone 8gb from a mate which is O2 but i have a vodafone sim...if i buy one of these turbo sims will it allow me to use the 3g iphone normally?

can i update and sync itunes music,vids,photos with my pc ok and use the phone pretty much as it was unlocked with these sims? if yes, any1 knows where i can pick one up?

Really appreciate any feedback

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭colm_c

menuisier wrote: »
    Hey guys i'm heading over to the states next week via london and i was thinking of picking up a prepay iphone in london at the current rates i can get a 16gig for 490 euro rather then 570 here also i want to use the phone with my vodphone sim would this be advisable? what are the possible pros and cons? would i have any problems with the warrenty, i should be able to use a vodafone sim without jailbreaking it isnt that right? also getting 3g on vodafone shouldnt be much trouble would it?

You need to jailbreak it - the turbosim is a way to jailbreak it.
    viper006 wrote: »
    hey lads,

I was hoping someone cud please help me with this please? I tinking of buying a locked 3g iphone 8gb from a mate which is O2 but i have a vodafone sim...if i buy one of these turbo sims will it allow me to use the 3g iphone normally?

can i update and sync itunes music,vids,photos with my pc ok and use the phone pretty much as it was unlocked with these sims? if yes, any1 knows where i can pick one up?

Really appreciate any feedback

You need a turbo sim, this will allow you to use the iPhone 3G with any sim card. Sync should be fine although I think a software update may kill the phone. Google turbo sim and you'll find loads.

Aren't they required to reveal the subsidy to the customer if asked; once paid off i'm not sure how they can legally withhold the code.

The fact that no one can unlock the iphone(yet) should be indication that even o2 will be unable to do it if they could do it so could someone else.

The unlocked iphones from italy are manufactured that way by apple where as the ones we have are locked to o2 by apple.

So if you want a truly unlocked iphone Italy is the way forward

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

Rob_l wrote: »
    The fact that no one can unlock the iphone(yet) should be indication that even o2 will be unable to do it if they could do it so could someone else.

The unlocked iphones from italy are manufactured that way by apple where as the ones we have are locked to o2 by apple.

So if you want a truly unlocked iphone Italy is the way forward

They have to, by law, unlock the phone after the contract period is up. No getting around it, no matter how smug a company you might be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Borneo Fnctn

colm_c wrote: »
    You need to jailbreak it - the turbosim is a way to jailbreak it.

The turbosim unlocks the phone. jailbreaking and unlocking are completely different.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

The turbosim unlocks the phone. jailbreaking and unlocking are completely different.

Just for the people that don't know...
    http://arstechnica.com/journals/apple.ars/2008/10/10/jailbreaking-and-unlocking-an-iphone-what-you-need-to-know

They have to, by law, unlock the phone after the contract period is up. No getting around it, no matter how smug a company you might be.

yes but o2 cant unlock it, so you can state your "law" at me but it doesn't change the fact that the iphone in its current state as sold by o2 in this country is unlockable until someone can safely crack that restriction, this is not the network locking phones to their network but apple who sold the phone to certain providers in each country locked and it is they who have built it into the phone(excluding the phones in Italy and possibly other countries)

after much humming and hawing i have decided to get a 3g iphone and as i see it i have three options bearing in mind i want to use it with vodafone.
    i can get it here for 570, i am going to london on monday so i can get it there and with the exchange rate as it is i can pick one up for 470 and my last option is getiting the phone in rome on the 14th of feb going over for the rugby but really dont want to wait that long.
    i realise i need a turbo sim for the first two options how much would that set me back and where can i get one?
    but back to my orginal question were do u think i should pick up the phone? what are the potential draw backs
    thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cojomo2

id say rome...im in the same position as you, and im goin to rome to get mine..

turbo sims arnt ideal..they dont always work rite and they have some annoying drawbacks such as not being able to connect to itunes..you have to go into airoplane mode and then reboot after..then u will also not know how updates will effect it..

rome option has zero restrictions..

also if u use turbo sim it may void warranty, not sure if the one in rome comes with a worldwide warranty or if its just an italian warranty?

after much humming and hawing i have decided to get a 3g iphone and as i see it i have three options bearing in mind i want to use it with vodafone.
    i can get it here for 570, i am going to london on monday so i can get it there and with the exchange rate as it is i can pick one up for 470 and my last option is getiting the phone in rome on the 14th of feb going over for the rugby but really dont want to wait that long.
    i realise i need a turbo sim for the first two options how much would that set me back and where can i get one?
    but back to my orginal question were do u think i should pick up the phone? what are the potential draw backs
    thanks
    cojomo2 wrote: »
    id say rome...im in the same position as you, and im goin to rome to get mine..

turbo sims arnt ideal..they dont always work rite and they have some annoying drawbacks such as not being able to connect to itunes..you have to go into airoplane mode and then reboot after..then u will also not know how updates will effect it..

rome option has zero restrictions..

also if u use turbo sim it may void warranty, not sure if the one in rome comes with a worldwide warranty or if its just an italian warranty?

Yeah if you can I'd wait as cojomo says until feb and rome to get a proper unlocked one turbosim is a workaround but why not get the rome one with no workaround just free to use any network which in the long run will cause a lot less hassle

cause its about 2 months away and im coming into about 400 unexpected monies and i dont think i'll have the minerals to get it in two months time. have people heard of any horror stories of people using turbo sims.
    i also like the idea of getting it 100 euro cheaper in the uk. i was planing on getting a itouch for 370euro but paying an extra 100 (uk price) i can get a phone too.

• Advertisement

alright i have decided to get an iphone from the north today (my sister is up there at the moment) i am from the south so before i take this plunge can someone give me a link to some site that sells turbo sim or the like and if they know for certain that they will work on a english o2 iphone all the better
    thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Columba Rad

I don't have a 3G iPhone to test this theory. Please try this at your own risk and please post results;

https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/158509/66644.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭metalfest

looks good, someone should post this on the iphone dev team site...

that does look good and straight forward but i dont feel like being the guinea pig and bricking my phone in record time.
    can anyone say yay or ney that the turbo sim or rebel sim will unlock a uk prepay iphone on the vodaphone prepay network here?

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Macers

Hi Guys,

Sorry I know this question been asked alot but its hard to find in 2500+ posts...

Have a 3G iPhone still in box - where does one get this jailbroken in Dublin?

Can you PM me please

• Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Columba Rad

Macers wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

Sorry I know this question been asked alot but its hard to find in 2500+ posts...

Have a 3G iPhone still in box - where does one get this jailbroken in Dublin?

Can you PM me please
    http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=1881

Google is great :D

i dont about that one columba theres about 153 angery comments after it i dont feel like adding to it, thanks for the heads up tho its interesting

right i just bought myself a iphone from the north and its diving itself down to me as we speak.
    i think i will go with the rebel sim as the unlock but would anyone know if i can start playing with it as soon as i get home? i know some credit comes with it so that part is covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,933 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

right i just bought myself a iphone from the north and its diving itself down to me as we speak.
    i think i will go with the rebel sim as the unlock but would anyone know if i can start playing with it as soon as i get home? i know some credit comes with it so that part is covered.
    Will it not be northern credit? If true to form with O2.ie they will not allow international calls so that might prevent you

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 DAZNOZ

Spam

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement