Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3G iPhone Thread - [sourcing Qs / news about 3G iPhone here *ONLY* !!!]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

The Batman wrote: »
    My iphone arrived from Italy today, works perfectly out of the box so thanks for yer help.

However i put my iphone into itunes, and no music will upload, i also downloaded the ipint just to see how the apps works...but this wont upload either! Any suggestions?

Do you mean no music will download from iTunes to your phone? Have you created an iTunes account?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cojomo2

culabula wrote: »
    You rang who? Apple or O2?

The Apple Store offered to replace mine with a locked version, which is why I turned them down on the spot. I'll put up with the slight blemish.

i rand apple in belfast...they said if i have a problem with iphone i have to bring it back to a service agent/apple shop in the country where it was bought..i told them i had bough the missus a phone 3 weeks ago when i was on holidays in italy and that its now frozen...they said sorry, we cant touch it, youre only option is to go back to italy with it..

cojomo2 wrote: »
    i rand apple in belfast...they said if i have a problem with iphone i have to bring it back to a service agent/apple shop in the country where it was bought..i told them i had bough the missus a phone 3 weeks ago when i was on holidays in italy and that its now frozen...they said sorry, we cant touch it, youre only option is to go back to italy with it..

Well, that's árse. They do NOT do repairs, that is true, but they would swap it out for a new *locked* one. Which, of course, is not much good to you (or me). However, I bought my Apple product in the belief that it is unlikely anything will go wrong with it and if it did or does, I would be on the blower to Apple Ireland or Apple UK where I am convinced I would get a sympathetic hearing and something done about it. Failing that, Mac-Sys in Mallusk would attend to it as would Mactivate in Dublin. It's under warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭smackyB

France on the 29th of November for 300€? Surely that was last year, on contract?

http://www.techcrunch.com/2007/09/16/the-iphone-will-be-launched-in-france-november-29th-at-300-euros-first-picture/

Yeah that's an iPhone 2G there. And the article's dated Sept 2007.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cojomo2

Well, that's árse. They do NOT do repairs, that is true, but they would swap it out for a new *locked* one. Which, of course, is not much good to you (or me). However, I bought my Apple product in the belief that it is unlikely anything will go wrong with it and if it did or does, I would be on the blower to Apple Ireland or Apple UK where I am convinced I would get a sympathetic hearing and something done about it. Failing that, Mac-Sys in Mallusk would attend to it as would Mactivate in Dublin. It's under warranty.

mactivate dont service or repair iphone..they told me to bring it back to o2, and mac-sys dont service or repair iphones either..they told me to bring it back to the point of purchase as apple dont release spare parts for iphone to them or any1 else that he knows of..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭BlindedByGInge

copacetic wrote: »
    @ least 98% of this post is pure bull.

how is this my post total bull, the first half is wat the salesman told me, he wasnt going to make a sale, just wanted me to stay away from O2, so it couldnt be all crap.

And the second half bout 3g internet prices is true, look up o2.ie if u dont believe me. and all i said was that italian phones come unlocked, so how is this post 98% bull.

Vodafone are in the process of upgrading their 3G network to 14+ anyway and seeing as meteor use most of their reception tower they will probably be sharing these speeds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Who has insurance on their Phone? I was enquring about it the other day and was told its €9 ish on the iPhone, from 02.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,582 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

how is this my post total bull, the first half is wat the salesman told me, he wasnt going to make a sale, just wanted me to stay away from O2, so it couldnt be all crap.

And the second half bout 3g internet prices is true, look up o2.ie if u dont believe me. and all i said was that italian phones come unlocked, so how is this post 98% bull.

Vodafone are in the process of upgrading their 3G network to 14+ anyway and seeing as meteor use most of their reception tower they will probably be sharing these speeds.

emm, he wanted you to stay away from 02, so he told you all crap.

you don't seem to realise that you get 1GB included with all the iphone bundles. No-one has gotten near that in a month based on everyone using the o2 forums.

BostonB wrote: »
    Who has insurance on their Phone? I was enquring about it the other day and was told its €9 ish on the iPhone, from 02.

I don't actually, it is 9 though. However if you didn't take it out when you got phone, they expect you to pay for 6 or 8 weeks before you would actually be covered. Which is why I gave it a miss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭coadyj

I have that too but I don't have a wifi network at home or in work(my two main pc workstations) so I can't properly use it. Its a pity that you can't just plug in and transfer with MobileFinder as it seems to be a real good app otherwise

look like no offence but clearly the iphone isnt for you, if you couldnt even open up google and type in the words "iphone browser" or "how can i use my iphone as a storage device"

there is a host of mods you can make to fix ALL the problems you claim to be problems. You dont even have to pay for anything if your tec savy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

Probably a stupid question but is there any news on O2 lowering their tariff prices?

copacetic wrote: »
    I don't actually, it is 9 though. However if you didn't take it out when you got phone, they expect you to pay for 6 or 8 weeks before you would actually be covered. Which is why I gave it a miss.

I don't have an iPhone. But the way I was thinking was its a long 18months if you lose/damage your iPhone and have no insurance. Then you have the cost of the phone in the first place. Lotta money tied up in it. My phones generally start acting up at around 12 months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭mobius42

The update for Eirtext has just been put up on the App store. I tested it and it works perfectly! Good to have this working again.

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭CivilEx

Looks like the iPhone Dev Team (http://blog.iPhone-dev.org) are getting very close to a carrier unlock. They are recommending that the latest 2.2 update isn't installed just yet. I think the update is due in the next few days?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭Skyuser

Downloading it now.

Features:
    Enhancements to Maps
    - Google Street View
    - public transit and walking diretions
    - display address of dropped pins
    - share location via email
    Enhancements to Mail
    - resolved isolated issues with scheduled fetching of email
    - improved formatting of wide HTML email
    Improved stability and performance of Safari
    Podcasts are now available for download in iTunes application (over Wi-Fi and cellular)
    Decrease in call set-up failures and call drops
    Improved sound quality of visual voicemail messages
    Pressing the Home button from any Home screen takes you to the first Home screen
    Preferences to turn on/off auto-correction in Keyboard settings

Dman001 wrote: »
    Probably a stupid question but is there any news on O2 lowering their tariff prices?

I don't see why they would. They are still flying out the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭carrotcake

Skyuser wrote: »
    Pressing the Home button from any Home screen takes you to the first Home screen
    Great stuff. This one's been on my wish list for a while.

cojomo2 wrote: »
    mactivate dont service or repair iphone..they told me to bring it back to o2, and mac-sys dont service or repair iphones either..they told me to bring it back to the point of purchase as apple dont release spare parts for iphone to them or any1 else that he knows of..

I see.....wasn't aware of that.

Skyuser wrote: »
    Downloading it now.

Features:
    Enhancements to Maps
    - Google Street View
    - public transit and walking diretions
    - display address of dropped pins
    - share location via email
    Enhancements to Mail
    - resolved isolated issues with scheduled fetching of email
    - improved formatting of wide HTML email
    Improved stability and performance of Safari
    Podcasts are now available for download in iTunes application (over Wi-Fi and cellular)
    Decrease in call set-up failures and call drops
    Improved sound quality of visual voicemail messages
    Preferences to turn on/off auto-correction in Keyboard settings

just installed it myself, very little worthwhile in it imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Cameraman1

Has anyone noticed problems with SMS alerts. When I get a text it no longer makes a sound or vibrates. The ringer works for calls and the vibra-alert also works for incoming calls but not for SMS. I've ensured that the sound settings are correct i.e. on and tried changing the alert sound but it still doesnt work. Anyone got any suggestions?

Also, when I synch my contacts with itunes, does that copy contacts from iphone to desktop or vice versa?

Using f/w version 2.1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 GeataBan

I bought my iPhone just a couple of weeks ago so I've never performed an upgrade before. I now want to do the 2.2 upgrade so I read the instructions on the Apple web site, installed iTunes 8.0.2 and plugged in my iPhone. The usual backup and sync completed, so then I clicked the update button. A dialog appeared saying "contacting the iphone software update server...". That was about 3 hours ago. The message is still there. I'm loath to stop it in case it's downloading the update (I've heard it's massive and my connection is not the fastest).

Anyone got any advice? Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭wayne040576

GeataBan wrote: »
    I bought my iPhone just a couple of weeks ago so I've never performed an upgrade before. I now want to do the 2.2 upgrade so I read the instructions on the Apple web site, installed iTunes 8.0.2 and plugged in my iPhone. The usual backup and sync completed, so then I clicked the update button. A dialog appeared saying "contacting the iphone software update server...". That was about 3 hours ago. The message is still there. I'm loath to stop it in case it's downloading the update (I've heard it's massive and my connection is not the fastest).

Anyone got any advice? Thanks in advance.

if it's still stuck on connecting then something is wrong. Just stop it and try again. The server could be down . It usually tells you that an update is available.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

if it's still stuck on connecting then something is wrong. Just stop it and try again. The server could be down . It usually tells you that an update is available.

I thought 1st it downloads the firmware and after downloaded it will install it. WHat's can you see on the phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 GeataBan

Thanks for all the advice. I stopped and tried again about 10 times and eventually it made proper contact with the server. The update is downloading as I type - about half way now (2 hours, 126MB done).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭wayne040576

nava wrote: »
    I thought 1st it downloads the firmware and after downloaded it will install it. WHat's can you see on the phone?

It usually checks if there is an update first and let's you know. It then gives you the option to download and install or just download

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭SoWatchaWant

Does anybody know if the new software update will stop my phone from working with a rebel simcard?

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭CivilEx

Does anybody know if the new software update will stop my phone from working with a rebel simcard?
    I'd say that you can be almost certain that it will. The iPhone Dev Team are working on this though and have an option on their website for updating to the 2.2 "goodies" while holding the current 2.1baseband in place. You will be jailbreaking your phone, but all sim proxies should still work. Personally, I would hold off for another week until the dust settles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭NiSmO

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭nameandanumber

Yo yo,

First time posting in here so hope I'm putting this in the right place.

I'm gonna get an iPhone sometime before Christmas but there's one thing that I can't figure out.

Say if I'm out and about and I want to check something on Google Maps, if I'm not in a WiFi covered area how much am I charged? Is it covered in the 1gb data package (bill pay) or is it charged as a call rate? And if so, how much is it? I'm sure there's a fairly obvious answer to this but I can't seem to find it anywhere.

Also can I add on text packages to the bill as on average I'd say I send about 300+ messages a month.

Thanks,

• Advertisement

it's covered as part of you 1GB package.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement