Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3G iPhone Thread - [sourcing Qs / news about 3G iPhone here *ONLY* !!!]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

Yo yo,

First time posting in here so hope I'm putting this in the right place.

I'm gonna get an iPhone sometime before Christmas but there's one thing that I can't figure out.

Say if I'm out and about and I want to check something on Google Maps, if I'm not in a WiFi covered area how much am I charged? Is it covered in the 1gb data package (bill pay) or is it charged as a call rate? And if so, how much is it? I'm sure there's a fairly obvious answer to this but I can't seem to find it anywhere.

Also can I add on text packages to the bill as on average I'd say I send about 300+ messages a month.

Thanks,

regarding the data usage, yes it will be included in your monthly usage.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭nameandanumber

That's great, thanks lads.

So, just so I have this right, I can connect to the internet anywhere anytime at no extra cost? That's a great system, especially for the maps application...

One other thing, what's it like to text on? The keyboard looks like it'd take a bit of gettin used to.

I'm now considering the pre-pay version so I can get the free texts. I could see my bill spiralling out of control otherwise! Hmmm...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,933 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

For texting it is definitely different and it takes a bit of getting used to but once ya do its really really easy. It uses a different type of predictive text that means even you type something close to the word you want it offers up the word.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,582 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

For texting it is definitely different and it takes a bit of getting used to but once ya do its really really easy. It uses a different type of predictive text that means even you type something close to the word you want it offers up the word.

agreed, I found it hard to get used to and trust it at first, but bascially you just tap out something even close to the word you want and it will autocorrect it for you. Works really well. Only issue would be if you like to curse and use slang a lot in your texts as it doesn't like that too much.

I'm at least as fast texting with this as with T9 on a nokia or sony, and it doesn't wear the skin off your thumb either..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I've been thinking of getting one, and was playing with them in the store. The predictive text seems better than in my SE phone. Hard to find a phone with decent buttons these days.

You can use your free webtexts on the iPhone via the internet.

I'm not sure if the pre-pay version is a better deal. Its 50:50 I think.

• Advertisement

BostonB wrote: »
    I'm not sure if the pre-pay version is a better deal. Its 50:50 I think.

Yeah I know, that's the next thing I need to figure out.

There are pro's and con's for each but I can't seem to settle on one long enough to make a bloody decision.

Thanks again for the help...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Ernie Ball

That's great, thanks lads.

So, just so I have this right, I can connect to the internet anywhere anytime at no extra cost? That's a great system, especially for the maps application...

Not "anywhere." If you're roaming (even to the north), expect to pay €4.95 per megabyte. That's not a typo, it's a scandal.

If you want to Data roam between UK & IRL I think (not sure) that you can do this on 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

If you want to Data roam between UK & IRL I think (not sure) that you can do this on 3.

You can

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭smackyB

Does anybody know if the new software update will stop my phone from working with a rebel simcard?

Rebel Simcards can be upgraded providing you bought the chip reader (little usb thing). Was talking to them on support and they say they should have a version for 2.2 up soon.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭Samsung

What do people use to manage there photos.
    Any nice software options?

Ernie Ball wrote: »
    Not "anywhere." If you're roaming (even to the north), expect to pay €4.95 per megabyte. That's not a typo, it's a scandal.

:eek:

Wow, wonder how the bloody hell they justify that?!

There's no network charges attached to WiFi browsing home or abroad though...is there?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

Hey guys , looking to get a new phone for christmas, atm it seems to be a toss up between the samsung omnia and the iphone - what do you guys like most about the iphone - is it worth me paying 500 quid for a sim free phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Ernie Ball wrote: »

But that's absolutely nothing to do with the iPhone - that's a standard data charge, irrespective of what device you use.

All this anti-iPhone hysteria is becoming tiresome at this stage.

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    But that's absolutely nothing to do with the iPhone - that's a standard data charge, irrespective of what device you use.

All this anti-iPhone hysteria is becoming tiresome at this stage.

Er I'm confused. How is that anti-iPhone hysteria? He didn't mention the iPhone.

That said this is an iPhone thread. So the context is data charges for iPhone users. Useful to know about data roaming. Many iphone users won't have used data before or be aware of the roaming issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭mobius42

Ace2007 wrote: »
    Hey guys , looking to get a new phone for christmas, atm it seems to be a toss up between the samsung omnia and the iphone - what do you guys like most about the iphone - is it worth me paying 500 quid for a sim free phone?

The samsung omnia is pretty bad: http://gizmodo.com/5043789/samsung-omnia-isnt-going-to-kill-ianything Seems to be the usual windows mobile experience.:rolleyes: I tried one in a 3 shop and it was similar to that video; laggy, buggy and irritating to use.
    As for whether or not it's worth you paying €500 for an iPhone or not, no one can tell you that. If you are happy paying that money, go for it, if not, don't. Just be sure to research it thoroughly beforehand. Do you know someone who has one already? They could let you try it for a while. The O2 stores also have demo models you can play around with.
    My general opinion would be that you should buy it only if you want to use the internet on your phone or combine a phone with an iPod. If all you use your phone for is texting then I would think twice about getting one. I have one and it is fantastic for looking stuff up when I'm out. Google maps is also brilliant, especially with GPS. I've gotten a bit too dependent on it, I think.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

So the context is data charges for iPhone users. Useful to know about data roaming. Many iphone users won't have used data before or be aware of the roaming issue.

Exactly, so the implication is that the charge is purely for iPhones, not for other devices.

It reads as if there is some "special" charge on iPhone users.

Which of course we all know there isn't. :)

Maybe through Apple tinted glasses that how its reads.

If someone mentions call and text tarriffs you'd be up in arms about there being no iPhone only tariffs....

....er hang on...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭NibNib

Hi all,

I was going to upgrade my OH's phone this christmas to an iphone3G. But it seems that O2 won't give any upgrades (as discussed on a separate thread), even though he's been with them for god knows how long.

Has anyone gotten theirs via other channels? Is there any way of getting one without having to sign up as a new customer? My OH is rather annoyed at O2 and I think he will take his business elsewhere...

I would be grateful of any help. Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭The Batman

I've just bought my iphone from Italy,put it into itunes but had to upload my itunes to upload the firmware for my iphone. This led to a series of events where my iphone will not be recognised by itunes, I now have installed the latest version of itunes after uninstalling it and installing it numerous times, and now it says "the iphone cannot be used because the Apple Mobile Device is not started. So i googled it,found the answer which worked for most people which is to go into services and start the apple mobile device manually.....however when I did it it said "The Apple Mobile Device on Local Computer started and then stopped. Some services stop automatically if they are not in use by other services or problems"!!!

Do any of ye please have the solution? I googled it but found no definite answer....some said to reset windows completely! Thanks in advance folks!!

• Advertisement

Get one on prepay but they are expensive. But will work with your existing sim. He be better off waiting till his upgrade comes around again. after 3 months etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭mobius42

NibNib wrote: »
    Hi all,

I was going to upgrade my OH's phone this christmas to an iphone3G. But it seems that O2 won't give any upgrades (as discussed on a separate thread), even though he's been with them for god knows how long.

Has anyone gotten theirs via other channels? Is there any way of getting one without having to sign up as a new customer? My OH is rather annoyed at O2 and I think he will take his business elsewhere...

I would be grateful of any help. Thanks!

O2 reinstated the upgrades for most people. People who bought the first iPhone were approved for an upgrade to the 3G. Have a look over at the O2 forums: http://forums.o2online.ie/index.php
    The forum is moderated by O2 staff and they should sort you out if you explain your situation.

mobius42 wrote: »
    O2 reinstated the upgrades for most people. People who bought the first iPhone were approved for an upgrade to the 3G. Have a look over at the O2 forums: http://forums.o2online.ie/index.php
    The forum is moderated by O2 staff and they should sort you out if you explain your situation.

My OH's last upgrade was over 3years ago so he was gutted when he couldn't upgrade... Unfortunately, he didn't have the first iPhone.

I will try the O2 forums. Thanks for the info and I hope I will have some luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭madmoe

Hi guys,
    I am thinking about getting the 3G iPhone on prepay with O2. If I do does one have to be topping up by a certain amount each month or once I pay the 480 Euro that's it. How does the free WiFi for one year work?

Cheers,
    M

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cojomo2

The Batman wrote: »
    I've just bought my iphone from Italy,put it into itunes but had to upload my itunes to upload the firmware for my iphone. This led to a series of events where my iphone will not be recognised by itunes, I now have installed the latest version of itunes after uninstalling it and installing it numerous times, and now it says "the iphone cannot be used because the Apple Mobile Device is not started. So i googled it,found the answer which worked for most people which is to go into services and start the apple mobile device manually.....however when I did it it said "The Apple Mobile Device on Local Computer started and then stopped. Some services stop automatically if they are not in use by other services or problems"!!!

Do any of ye please have the solution? I googled it but found no definite answer....some said to reset windows completely! Thanks in advance folks!!

hey have you had any luck with this? im also buying an italian phone ...what sim are u using in it..i.e whatt network? u dont need to hook it up to itunes, it should work fine..only reason u hook up to itunes is to download apps and music

culabula has an italian iphone with his 3 sim in it..he would prob be the best one to help you, he seems to know his stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭The Batman

Haven't solved it yet Cojomo2,but if you are getting a phone in Italy you should have no worries. I bought mine on the Italian eBay...and its perfect. Except for my itunes problem...which i think happened because i tried to upload the 2.1 firmware without the latest addition of itunes so would recommend having that installed before you put the iphone in even tho my computer did recognise the iphone at first!! Im using a meteor sim,and can get applications when in a wifi spot.

Thanks for the advice...i'll pm him some time...but if anybody has any help it'd be greatly appreciated. Thanks

madmoe wrote: »
    Hi guys,
    I am thinking about getting the 3G iPhone on prepay with O2. If I do does one have to be topping up by a certain amount each month or once I pay the 480 Euro that's it. How does the free WiFi for one year work?

I am not sure about how the free WiFi for 12months work... but I do know that for prepay 3G iPhone, you have to top up at least 20 Euro per month...

NibNib wrote: »
    I am not sure about how the free WiFi for 12months work... but I do know that for prepay 3G iPhone, you have to top up at least 20 Euro per month...

Top up €20 for what?

The free wifi is explained over on the O2 forums. Basically they sign you up for http://www.bitbuzz.com/ for a year.

Top up €20 for what?

If you checked on the terms and conditions for getting the PrePay iPhone 3G, you have to top up at least 20 Euro a month, I don't know why? :confused:

• Advertisement

Usually its for free credit but maybe the iPhone is different.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement