Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3G iPhone Thread - [sourcing Qs / news about 3G iPhone here *ONLY* !!!]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

The Batman wrote: »
    I've just bought my iphone from Italy,put it into itunes but had to upload my itunes to upload the firmware for my iphone. This led to a series of events where my iphone will not be recognised by itunes, I now have installed the latest version of itunes after uninstalling it and installing it numerous times, and now it says "the iphone cannot be used because the Apple Mobile Device is not started. So i googled it,found the answer which worked for most people which is to go into services and start the apple mobile device manually.....however when I did it it said "The Apple Mobile Device on Local Computer started and then stopped. Some services stop automatically if they are not in use by other services or problems"!!!

Do any of ye please have the solution? I googled it but found no definite answer....some said to reset windows completely! Thanks in advance folks!!

I think I have the solution for you batman.
    I had the same issue with my ipod touch about a week ago, it appeared after running ccleaner (I can't say for definite it caused it, but I think it did).

You need to go to services, then double click "ipod service", change "startup type" to Manual, then start the service.
    Now I didn't have to do the same for the "Apple Mobile Device", but I read in a few places that others did. My Apple Mobile Device is on Automatic and starts itself.

A reboot may be required when you finish and make sure itunes is not running when you do this.

Finally, if you are still having the problem then it can be caused by certain AntiVirus software, I can't remember which ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

mobius42 wrote: »
    The samsung omnia is pretty bad: http://gizmodo.com/5043789/samsung-omnia-isnt-going-to-kill-ianything Seems to be the usual windows mobile experience.:rolleyes: I tried one in a 3 shop and it was similar to that video; laggy, buggy and irritating to use.
    As for whether or not it's worth you paying €500 for an iPhone or not, no one can tell you that. If you are happy paying that money, go for it, if not, don't. Just be sure to research it thoroughly beforehand. Do you know someone who has one already? They could let you try it for a while. The O2 stores also have demo models you can play around with.
    My general opinion would be that you should buy it only if you want to use the internet on your phone or combine a phone with an iPod. If all you use your phone for is texting then I would think twice about getting one. I have one and it is fantastic for looking stuff up when I'm out. Google maps is also brilliant, especially with GPS. I've gotten a bit too dependent on it, I think.:D

yea basically i want a phone that i can also store movies and music onto and also browse the internet alot say when i'm out - and also for txting, i don't have a problem spending the money its just i ended up payin a small fortuen for the nokia 8800 sirocco 18 months ago - and while its absolutly savage looking(i'm a sucker for good looking phones ;) it's not worth the price tag)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭metalfest

lol, anyone ever stop and think how funny the situation is?
    i mean, you have all these companies making all these phones, and what are they trying to do?
    kill the iPhone, why not release a few less phones that are practically the same, invest some money creating their own phone,and raise the bar, because as long as the iPhone has its present status, everything's still going to be compared to the iPhone....
    a true iPhone killer won't be marketed as an iPhone killer, it should be in it's own class,
    admitedly it will be fairly hard, but that's what's needed, not an iPhone killer, a phone that will just make you entirely forget about an iPhone, but unfortunately considering the shear size of the apple corporation it will be near impossible, microsoft if they develop a phone will be one of the few companies who would even have half a chance, if not less considering the petty attempt the zune has had.......
    lol thank you, and good-night :P:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Ernie Ball

:eek:

Wow, wonder how the bloody hell they justify that?!

There's no network charges attached to WiFi browsing home or abroad though...is there?

No there is not.

But, guess what? I got the figures wrong. It's not €4.95/MB. According to this thread, it's €10 per MB! The €4.95/MB rate is for Blackberries only.

They are seriously taking the p!ss. We've got this data handset which is arguably even more useful outside of Ireland than inside and they've priced it so that no one but an eejit or a member of U2 will ever use data roaming.

I know I won't. But I'm not happy about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,933 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Ernie Ball wrote: »
    No there is not.

But, guess what? I got the figures wrong. It's not €4.95/MB. According to this thread, it's €10 per MB! The €4.95/MB rate is for Blackberries only.

They are seriously taking the p!ss. We've got this data handset which is arguably even more useful outside of Ireland than inside and they've priced it so that no one but an eejit or a member of U2 will ever use data roaming.

Would buying a turbo sim and a UK sim card not do for data roaming abroad?? It'd certainly be cheaper in the long run.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

Given the current economic climate, and (hoping for a possible) post christmas sales slump. Do you reckon the cost of the iphone on speakeasy will come down in January?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Ernie Ball

Would buying a turbo sim and a UK sim card not do for data roaming abroad?? It'd certainly be cheaper in the long run.

Yes, but:

1) They don't work (yet) with version 2.2 of the iPhone software.
    2) According to the iPhone Dev team (the people responsible for the Pwnage jailbreaking software), you should avoid these Turbo Sim things:
    We’ve been monitoring the whole “SIM-card unlock” proxy-SIM situation. This involves using a chip that is attached to your SIM card (with a small modification to your SIM) or sometimes a small PCB soldered inside the phone. These sim mods so far seem very very very questionable. Zf has found that they use trickery of the GSM and UMTS network that is considered highly illegal in most countries and they rely on sending bogus IMSIs and various other nasty hacks to obtain service on your iPhone. A couple of our members have worked out how this all “works” and we’ll try to publish our findings soon. DevTeam recommendation: Steer clear, don’t use!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭portlairge

i have been using a turbo sim for the last 4 weeks and alls fine no problems phone is locked to o2 uk and im using it here with the turbo sim using 3g and i tunes all the apploications all the network service no problems...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

portlairge wrote: »
    i have been using a turbo sim for the last 4 weeks and alls fine no problems phone is locked to o2 uk and im using it here with the turbo sim using 3g and i tunes all the apploications all the network service no problems...

Do you have Firmware 2.2 install in the phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭nameandanumber

Ernie Ball wrote: »
    No there is not.

Ah that's just taking the piss...

So now, someone talk to me about this 50mb limit that applies to the 99c per day data rate. What's the cost over and above 50mb and would it matter? What I mean is - is 50mb a lot of data or not?

If that doesn't make sense I'm reading it from here http://forums.o2online.ie/forums/showthread.php?t=2421

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭mobius42

Ah that's just taking the piss...

So now, someone talk to me about this 50mb limit that applies to the 99c per day data rate. What's the cost over and above 50mb and would it matter? What I mean is - is 50mb a lot of data or not?

If that doesn't make sense I'm reading it from here http://forums.o2online.ie/forums/showthread.php?t=2421

50MB a day is plenty for web browsing. I use the internet on my phone every day and the most I ever used in a month was 200MB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭Username!

Hey lads, just got my 3G sent to me yesterday. I'm porting from PAYG Meteor to 02, any idea how long it will take? I sent my Direct Debit letter / insurance letters today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭Skyuser

Can a PAYG O2 sim work in a Bill iPhone or how does the iPhone know the difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭carrotcake

Skyuser wrote: »
    Can a PAYG O2 sim work in a Bill iPhone or how does the iPhone know the difference?
    It works fine, according to this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cojomo2

if one has an unlocked sealed in the box italian iphone 3g, and they wish to activate it, should it be activated with the italian pay as you go sim that came with it, or can it be activated with your irish sim, or does it make any diference at all?

cojomo2 wrote: »
    if one has an unlocked sealed in the box italian iphone 3g, and they wish to activate it, should it be activated with the italian pay as you go sim that came with it, or can it be activated with your irish sim, or does it make any diference at all?
    No difference. You can activate it with any SIM card.

carrotcake wrote: »
    No difference. You can activate it with any SIM card.

thanks. One other thing..let say i open up the brand new iphone, stick in my sim, is it then usable straight away for calls/txts/internet or do you need to hook it up to itunes and activate for full functionality?

and do you need to actually hook the phone up to your pc to activate it via itunes or can it be done from the device itself?

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

thanks. One other thing..let say i open up the brand new iphone, stick in my sim, is it then usable straight away for calls/txts/internet or do you need to hook it up to itunes and activate for full functionality?

and do you need to actually hook the phone up to your pc to activate it via itunes or can it be done from the device itself?

cheers

You have to connect it to a pc with one of the later versions of Itunes and the internet

Rob_l wrote: »
    You have to connect it to a pc with one of the later versions of Itunes and the internet

rite thanks..but why do i have to do this? to get the phone to actually work as in make calls/send txts/surf net, or is this step needed only if i want to use itunes to buy music/apps etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

rite thanks..but why do i have to do this? to get the phone to actually work as in make calls/send txts/surf net, or is this step needed only if i want to use itunes to buy music/apps etc?

it will work as an ipod but not as a phone until you connect it to itunes

• Advertisement

Rob_l wrote: »
    it will work as an ipod but not as a phone until you connect it to itunes
    An iPod with no music on it ;)

An iPod with no music on it ;)

hi carrotcake..

are you sure the phone function wont work? Culabula has one of these italian unlocked iphones and he rekons that as it is oficially unlocked that there is no need for activation at all. He said you can just pop your sim in it and straight away start making calls..saying that you only have to hook it up with itunes if u want to buy music etc...

if i do have to hook it up to itunes to get it working, will it matter if i do this in italy with an irish itunes a/c or will that cause issues?

hi carrotcake..

are you sure the phone function wont work? Culabula has one of these italian unlocked iphones and he rekons that as it is oficially unlocked that there is no need for activation at all. He said you can just pop your sim in it and straight away start making calls..saying that you only have to hook it up with itunes if u want to buy music etc...

if i do have to hook it up to itunes to get it working, will it matter if i do this in italy with an irish itunes a/c or will that cause issues?
    I read Culabula's post about that too, and it got me confused. I bought mine on eBay and i didn't have to connect to iTunes, but the box was already opened, so I don't know if the seller did anything.

I was with a friend of mine as he unwrapped his Italian iPhone and when he first put in his SIM and turned it on it showed the connect to iTunes screen and you could only make emergency calls. No other functions were accessible. Once he connected to iTunes it was up and running.

I read Culabula's post about that too, and it got me confused. I bought mine on eBay and i didn't have to connect to iTunes, but the box was already opened, so I don't know if the seller did anything.

I was with a friend of mine as he unwrapped his Italian iPhone and when he first put in his SIM and turned it on it showed the connect to iTunes screen and you could only make emergency calls. No other functions were accessible. Once he connected to iTunes it was up and running.

ok cool, thanks for the info..i dunno why apple makes u hook it up to itunes to get it to work, any1 know whats the point in this, why do they have it that way?

also carrotcake, is it your iphone 3g that you are selling? are u bored with it already!?

ok cool, thanks for the info..i dunno why apple makes u hook it up to itunes to get it to work, any1 know whats the point in this, why do they have it that way?

also carrotcake, is it your iphone 3g that you are selling? are u bored with it already!?
    Not at all. :) I just got another one when over there last weekend. Same story as yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭thenakedchef

my friend is currently going to by me a 3g iphone in italy and they are supposed to be unlocked there,he went into tim and tried his vodafone payg sim but "no service" came up.
    what may be wrong here?

Either the phone wasn't fully activated or your friend doesn't have roaming. If the part number (printed on the back of the box) is one of these then the phone is unlocked...

MB489T/A
    MB496T/A
    MB500T/A

• Registered Users Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭thenakedchef

he must have roaming as he rang me three times this afternoon from italy and he is on vodafone ireland payg,he just went into tim and they let him put his sim into it and no service appeared on it, obviously new user activates it right? ill get him to check those numbers too,will they be easy to find on the package?
    thanks carrotcake for the help

he must have roaming as he rang me three times this afternoon from italy and he is on vodafone ireland payg,he just went into tim and they let him put his sim into it and no service appeared on it, obviously new user activates it right? ill get him to check those numbers too,will they be easy to find on the package?
    thanks carrotcake for the help
    Yeah, you can see the part number written on the back of the box, down the bottom with the barcodes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭jamieh

Hi all,

I'm getting a replacement phone today as the plastic on my last one cracked at the back.

Should I charge it for 12 hours before I use it or is that a thing of the past?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement