Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3G iPhone Thread - [sourcing Qs / news about 3G iPhone here *ONLY* !!!]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭colm_c

jamieh wrote: »
    Hi all,

I'm getting a replacement phone today as the plastic on my last one cracked at the back.

Should I charge it for 12 hours before I use it or is that a thing of the past?

Replacement iPhone?

Then do the same thing you did before - read the instructions FFS :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭madmoe

Hi guys,
    For the 3G prepay iPhone from O2 is it just a matter of walking in off the street, paying them the doe and walking out with a new iPhone or does one have to wait?

Cheers,
    M

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭KJF

Yep, it's easy as that. You activate it via iTunes when you get home.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭madmoe

Great stuff, thanx!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭jamieh

colm_c wrote: »
    Replacement iPhone?

Then do the same thing you did before - read the instructions FFS :rolleyes:

The last time I just started using it straight away because I couldn't see any reference to a 12 hour charge in the instructions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭chriskat

Hi guys, does anyone find the battery is very poor in comparison to the 1st gen. Even the standby time is very bad. I have sbsettings installed with edge and 3g turned off! Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Gryzor

upgraded to a 3G iphone last week, battery definately does not last as long.

other thing thats pissed me off is apple have changed the way the 3G version charges, essentially making alot of 3rd party chargers useless. I had a nice setup in my car, to charge my 1st gen iphone and play music throught the car stereo, now i have to fork out more cash to make the 3G phone work...:(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭BArra

this dongle should sort your charging issues

http://cablejive.com/iphone_3g_charge_converter.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭metalfest

BArra wrote: »
    this dongle should sort your charging issues

http://cablejive.com/iphone_3g_charge_converter.html

:o
    :eek:
    i'm really confused, how does it work?

yeah, saw that alright, thats what i meant by my "more cash" comment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭BArra

i suppose it just converts the power from the old way to the new way through the dongle, stick it onto the ipod or iphone, and then stick in the cable in your car thats connected to your headunit on the other end of the dongle and bobs your uncle

its a bit expensive though, 37 dollars seems a bit much to me for what it is

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cojomo2

how good/bad is the battery life on iphone 3g?

would you get 24hrs standby with say 20min calls, 30 min surfing, 10 txts and 2 hr ipod usage?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭[nicK]

rebel simcard now works with latest 3g firmware 2.2..

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Can anyone tell me if I will encounter any issues going from my unlocked 2G iPhone to brand new 3G phone?

Specifically, with iTunes:
    • the songs that I have purchased on my 2G phone, will I still be able to play them on my new 3G phone
    • any issues registering the new 3G phone with iTunes when already have the 2G phone registered? (i.e. can I essentially have two phones on one iTunes account?)
    • Anything else I am not thinking of?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Sorry lads if this has been discussed already, but what are people's expierences of the new software update 2.2. I think it is, are there any changes for mapping to Ireland i.e. any streets done here yet, any other comments?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,933 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Does anyone else think it is incredibly shit that when you download the update that if you lose internet connectivity at all, the download restarts from the very start. I live in a dial up only area and I spent 14 hours downloading this massive update, only to get within 3mb of completion and then my dial up got disconnected and now I have no update yet.

Why do Apple insist on making the iPhone only accessible to people with broadband. Why could they not make the download resumable upon interruption.

I hate APPLE :mad::mad::mad::mad: and :mad: Thats five mads of disapproval

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭darraghw

Just wondering does anyone have any experience using an o2 prepay iphone with a turbosim?

On O2 UK the payg iphone starts at £342 which is €400! would a turbosim allow me to use this with an irish O2 sim or meteor sim?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cojomo2

can sm1 give me an idea of what batter life i can expect from an iphone 3g?

im only buying if i can get at least 24hrs standby with moderate usage i.e 20 min calls, 30 mins surfing, 2 hr ipod music, 10 txts..this possible?

thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭chriskat

cojomo2 wrote: »
    can sm1 give me an idea of what batter life i can expect from an iphone 3g?

im only buying if i can get at least 24hrs standby with moderate usage i.e 20 min calls, 30 mins surfing, 2 hr ipod music, 10 txts..this possible?

thanks
    You will get a lot more than 24 hrs standby with more than average usage, the battery is not that bad it's just that in comparison to my 1st gen it's not as good, I wouldn't let the battery turn you off what is a great phone!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭molby14

i got an i phone a few weeks ago through o2. the phone is fine. i downloaded i tunes to my laptop and put some of my cds on there . when i connect the i phone to the laptop it tells me a new device has been found , a camera, then flash's to a blue screen and restarts the laptop by running a check up of some sort
    if any one could help i would be greatful

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,260 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

1. Go to Start -> Control Panel -> System
    2. Go to Advanced
    3. Under the Startup and Recovery section, click Settings...
    4. Under System Failure un-check "Automatically restart"

This will give you a chance to read the stop code. (BSOD)
    Let us know what it says. Looks for any .sys files listed

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

Hi!
    Got my new iphone 8gb on a silver upgrade yesterday and...I need some tips/links how to make it even sexier!
    For starters the weather section tells me about London! I would obviously prefer Dublin!!!
    I know this post has prob being answered in this thread but it's 199 pages!!!

Also read briefly about short battery life, how long does an i-phone battery on average last, 12 months/2 years etc?

ps
    Phone is def far far better than my previous the n95.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭colm_c

Hi!
    Got my new iphone 8gb on a silver upgrade yesterday and...I need some tips/links how to make it even sexier!
    For starters the weather section tells me about London! I would obviously prefer Dublin!!!
    I know this post has prob being answered in this thread but it's 199 pages!!!

Also read briefly about short battery life, how long does an i-phone battery on average last, 12 months/2 years etc?

ps
    Phone is def far far better than my previous the n95.

Tap the 'i' in the corner to add/modify cities, flick left to right (and right to left) to cycle through the cities active.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

/edit weather thing sorted. :o
    Ta Colm...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭molby14

The_Edge wrote: »
    1. Go to Start -> Control Panel -> System
    2. Go to Advanced
    3. Under the Startup and Recovery section, click Settings...
    4. Under System Failure un-check "Automatically restart"
    This will give you a chance to read the stop code. (BSOD)
    Let us know what it says. Looks for any .sys files listed

done that so i know get too read the blue screen here is the jist of it

a problem was found windows shut down to prevent damagef this is first time to see screen restart computer, if it happens again follow these steps
    check u have enough disk space. if a driver is namesd in stop message disable it or check with manufacturerfor updates. try changing video adepters
    check for bios updates. disable bios memory options like shadowing or caching . you can use safety mode
    technical info
    ***STOP:0x0000007e (0xc0000005,0x00000000,0xf8a47c8 , 0xf8a044c4)
    begining dump of physical memory
    physical memory dump complete
    contact your system admin or tech support group for help

as you can tell i dont have a clue what this means if you can make out any thing from it that would be super

• Registered Users Posts: 10,260 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Going way off topic here.
    Go to c:\windows\minidump and email me the latest dmp file. (look at the date)
    I'll PM you my email address if you'd like to mail me the file.
    I should be able to see what's causing the crash if I can have a look at that file.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭delanec8

I just got 8gb 3g iphone on pay as you go and set it up with my wireless at home. I am being charged for using the internet from my own wireless. Is this right. Also whats the story with 12months free wifi?

delanec8 wrote: »
    I just got 8gb 3g iphone on pay as you go and set it up with my wireless at home. I am being charged for using the internet from my own wireless. Is this right. Also whats the story with 12months free wifi?

how do u rekon you're being charged for your own wifi, its not the case. All you get charged for from a data point of view is traffic over EDGE or 3G, or unless you pay for wifi in a hotel, but thats a differant story...

12 Months free wifi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Kajlo

Hi all
    I have iphone in orange. It wasnt unlocked or activated. If i put vodafone simcard and activate it would it work with vodafone without unlocking ( like turbosim or so ) or i still need to unlock it from orange? Im pretty sure that somebody already asked that question but digging throught 199 pages take a while :) Thanks for answer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

Joost now available in the app store - finally some decent video content!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement