Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Tape At The End= Joke!!

Options
  • 09-06-2008 8:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭

Honestly,
    having the irish tape at the end of the exam was terrible!!

i done pass Irish and was finished at 3pm,that includes going over everything!

I had to wait about till 4.30 for the tape,
    I thought it was badly structured cause I could have went home and spent more time studying for exams i have tomorrow!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Blitz17

Yea we were all giving out and wondering why this was

But still made use of the time , everyone went out for a game of soccer for the hour/hour nd a half :):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 rachelmcg1989

exactly, i felt the exact same. they should have it before the written exam, because at 4.30, i was knackered, i wasnt even listening half the time, just worried i was going to collapse with lack of food and energy!
    plus, if i had the aural first, i know i would still be motivated to do paper1...horrible listening, bet i failed, or just barely passed

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

I did honours and I wasn't finished until 4. I understand your point but you can't expect the tape to be put forward just because some people finished early. In fact some of the honours people in my school said it was on too early as if you used the full amount of time for honours, you only got a 10 minute break.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 EDoyle

you could have been studying when you went on boards to complain

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,224 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

lizt wrote: »
    I did honours and I wasn't finished until 4. I understand your point but you can't expect the tape to be put forward just because some people finished early. In fact some of the honours people in my school said it was on too early as if you used the full amount of time for honours, you only got a 10 minute break.
    Thats why it should be on before the written

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭laura*

BUT
    if tape was first it would get you motivated and could give you ideas!?!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

I ended up in the school oratory for a hour and just talked with a friend. I came down and found my Irish teacher outside our exam centre, wondering why I looked like I had just woken up!!!

I always thought the listening should be at the start, much easier for people to go home after instead of hanging around

EDoyle wrote: »
    you could have been studying when you went on boards to complain

as could you!!

anyway, i want to see how others felt
    and there's obviously some that feels the same!

laura* wrote: »
    BUT
    if tape was first it would get you motivated and could give you ideas!?!

I don't really think it would. Even though I was really happy with the tape, others found it too difficult. If I had felt this way I would have been distracted from the written paper!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Maybe you shoulda done HL if your complaining that you were finished too early!

• Advertisement

I don't really think it would. Even though I was really happy with the tape, others found it too difficult. If I had felt this way I would have been distracted from the written paper!

and vise-a-vera im sure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Cokehead Mother

I think we did tape first at JC? Makes a lot more sense.

Plus that last guys accent is still ringing through my head! It's bad enough sitting through an irish exam without some donegal eejit going on about mass on the aran islands flying through your head!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

I did honours, and had my essay done in 30 mins. I was aiming to get out as early as I could so that I could have a longer break. 10 mins is not really a break, even our former school class breaks were longer!!!!!!!!!!1

kmart6 wrote: »

lack of good teachers!

anyway,
    its not even all that!

I just think if it was at the start then people wouldn't feel they have to stay!

i suppose it REALLY goes for pass students
    cause there was loads finished around that time too
    and felt they done really well!

so,
    it should be re-structured in some means!
    either more questions for pass,
    or tape first :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 rachelmcg1989

Plus that last guys accent is still ringing through my head! It's bad enough sitting through an irish exam without some donegal eejit going on about mass on the aran islands flying through your head!

haha! i thought i was the only one who was so aggrevated by his voice, it was the breaking of his voice that got me so annoyed lol.

I was wondering when someone would play the crap teacher card...

:D
    don't get me started!

i basically didnt have an irish teacher up till jc!
    *long story boring*

laura* wrote: »
    :D
    don't get me started!

i basically didnt have an irish teacher up till jc!
    *long story boring*

I know how you feel. My honours Irish teacher came in hungover every Monday and gave us a free class every second day...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭brazilicious

it was the breaking of his voice that got me so annoyed lol.
    that was the worst thing ever!!! the accent was so thick i couldnt understand it anyway but that made it excruciating to listen to...

what was it about anyway??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭The Walsho

^ Yes! I mentioned this on my blog (see sig link, not-so-subtle plug), his voice was so irritating!

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Slashman X

kmart6 wrote: »
    I did HL and finished at half 2, obviously not a good sign :p

Went out for a bit of footie though so it's all good :p

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

that was the worst thing ever!!! the accent was so thick i couldnt understand it anyway but that made it excruciating to listen to...

I think I was giddy from being so tired and when that came on I began to laugh....a lot. It's possible the guy hit puberty during the recording. I did a good job stifling though :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭brazilicious

ah yeah, i was in the knots like, but i had to leave it blank! i got something about an eighty something year old who can say mass without his spéiclí?? not a clue about the rest..think it had something to do with a boat?:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Resi12

Nope i have the worst. Ok so hes over 65 at LEAST! Hes also a german teacher, always and i mean ALWAYS gets the two mixed up. Never once did we use an aural book he just wrote words and we translated and oh yeah he think he pole vaulted the Berlin Wall and then one day he decided to show us a Nazi death camp video.. for Irsh so ya i can REALLY play that card

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 H-esperanza

I understand that its hard to wait around, but as a the only higher student in my centre i basacally finished at 4.20, walked from the gym to where the sural was to find all my centre waiting for me and we had to start. My brain was fried. I think the aurals should be done around the time of the orals. Then it would at least be out of the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,005 ✭✭✭kirving

The last guy was a joke! Did anyone (OL) get the answer to how long the guy was a priest?

"Tri scor bhliain"

I wrote down 60 because "a score" in english can mean 20, so 3x20=60.

Off to study boring paper 2!

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Nanaki

I think the orals and aurals should be done before Christmas.
    Today I was finished a full hour before the exam time was up (3.20, HL) with everything done that I could. It didn't bother me waiting, but I see the point in not wanting to.

Its ridiculous - I reckon they put the listening at the end to try and encourage people to stay longer inside in the exam! Doesn;t work at all - not when people can do their essay very quickly, since they have it learned off so well

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭Jayeire

I can totally understand how it can be annoyin for pass students having to wait, but the department has to cater for honours students aswell.

As for the tape this year... It was a pure and utter joke :( It was totally dumbed down.. speaking really slow.. seems like the aural is getting easier as the years go by..

I'm fluent in Irish and as digusted to hear irish spoken like that, nobody speaks like that... surely that wasn't neccessary :mad:

Advertisement