Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CNN Headline News

• 09-06-2008 8:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 574 ✭✭✭

Hi There.
    Havnt been on here for a while. Been busy with work and travel. So here goes.......
    Telstar @ 15degrees west, there are channels such as CNN headline news and CNN live, and according to SatcoDX, both are in MPEG-2.
    My question is, can anyone tell me what type or make of receiver I need to be able to watch them.
    Many thanks for your help.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Any Digital Satellite receiver that is not Branded "Sky". Some other Pay TV platform branded models may be a bad idea. All the FTA receivers and PCI cards for PC I've tried have worked.

It's an SCPC transponder at about 1500Ks/s, but virtually every current receiver will do that.

An 80cm dish is feasible in Ireland but 1.1m recommended for reliable reception. These are essentially feeds so for long periods of time may show a street view or be off air. They regularly change settings too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭Zaphod

That CNN TP on Telstar is a little unusual. If you look at the Satcodx info, it lists the Network Provider as "SBM Scopus SBM Northfolk". SBM Northfolk is part of the US military satellite broadcasting network. Some interesting info on what can be carried on these broadcasts along with CNN here.

Most of the US stuff in Europe (AFRTS) tends to be encrypted in PowerVU. Authorised PowerVU receivers sometimes show up on ebay, especially ebay.de - US soldiers based in Germany trying to make some extra money on the side.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Smeagol

Here
    is one, although without firmware:o
    Btw. The NBC feeds are also still on. Today show's runnig right now, so is MSNBC. Both working on a 80cm Lidl system. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 574 ✭✭✭PacMan

Many thanks for the quick and detailed replies.
    I will be checking the Ebay.de site over the next few days. I already have a 1.1m dish, and watch MSNBC/NBC etc, when they are available. I just wanted to watch the CNN US feed and CNN Headline news.
    Thanks again, and anyone else who has an opinion or suggestion on this topic, please reply. Its most welcome.:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

PowerVu is not for public use.
    I thought you where talking about the FTA feeds.

With PowerVU receivers the box serial number is registered. S/H ones are fairly quickly disabled and only work FTA. Don't waste your money.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement