Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Music

Options
  • 09-06-2008 8:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭

Would there be a good chance of the "reland's Contribution to Music in North America" essay coming up this year? dont have the papers...

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭carpothepunk

Our music teacher told us she thought that essay would come up. Itd be nice alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,673 ✭✭✭mahamageehad

WTF??!?! Our music teacher told us to just learn the harp, music collectors, irish instrumentation n structure of dance tunes!!!! OMG, i always kinda left out music in my revision like... wots da chances of minor harmony comin up or upbeat in melody coz she skipped them too saying they weren't that important!! :eek::eek::eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭quoteunquote

that upbeat in the mocks threw me off completely. chord question was a bit iffy too. hope they're not as mean in the real.

I'm gonna learn Sean Nós (we can dream), the harping tradition, Sean O Riada and Micheal O Suilleabhain. Hope it covers me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 chairmanWOW!

i have the exam papers woo! um....the north america one came up in 06 and 04 and 02 so maybe they're doing a "every two years" thing....sean nos hasnt come up in a while so that'll probably be on it....if theres any more you want me to check ill give it a go :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭mattfender

cool...hopefully it does come up so! Its the only part of music I didnt listen in ha!

Hope the harmony is easy...I havent practiced in ages! And here's me looking for an A:rolleyes: Also...wtf with seachanges its actually hell...I just cant learn it let alone listen to it!! Its painful!!

• Advertisement

mattfender wrote: »
    Also...wtf with seachanges its actually hell...I just cant learn it let alone listen to it!! Its painful!!
    i quite like seachanges actually!! At least its different! Its grand once you get part that awful squeaky part at da start!! :) At least when it comes on you'll know for defo which piece it is!! :P cos call me unprepared or whatever but i mix up the mozart and the berlioz!! :)

yea....im not mr deane's biggest fan but there are some really nice bits in the song...and its easy lol! way easier than berlioz...and that mozart...with all his section 1a part a episode 1....crazy crazy crazy!

yeeaaahhhh I need to learn the sections...:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Rosstafarian

i quite like seachanges actually!! At least its different! Its grand once you get part that awful squeaky part at da start!!

Agreed!! That squeaky bit is off-putting but after that it's pretty enjoyable. Anyone else think the Dies Irae sounds a bit like the Lost theme music??

Anyone else think the Dies Irae sounds a bit like the Lost theme music??

YEA!!!!!! loads of it does!! it real movie music or somethin. eery and all that jazz!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭22diamonds

lol I dunno how ye can even THINK of music atm with all the other exams! I'll wait til tuesday to start studying for that! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 MrsSDelonge

ya ya ya! I agree with the whole Lost-esque sound to Deane!:p Our music teacher brought us to see Raymond Deane last month! ahaha fun times...he is the most boooooring guy!! But he went through the whole score and I find Seachanges pretty easy now! It would be SO awesome if that came up as question one!!!:D

ya ya ya! I agree with the whole Lost-esque sound to Deane!:p Our music teacher brought us to see Raymond Deane last month! ahaha fun times...he is the most boooooring guy!! But he went through the whole score and I find Seachanges pretty easy now! It would be SO awesome if that came up as question one!!!:D

yeah i wish!! :) wot are the chances of that though?? Our teacher tipped the Beatles to come up as question 1 as its an anniversary year or something??!

yeah i wish!! :) wot are the chances of that though?? Our teacher tipped the Beatles to come up as question 1 as its an anniversary year or something??!

ooo that'd be quite nice too!:D it's so hard to predict music:( but...I've a week between biology and music and my teachers gonna do an extra music class for us a few days before! I'm actually really looking forward to the music exam:p what a dork:p:p:phah

I'm gonna spend everday from now on studying...cos aiming for an A or B in this!! Problem is...I havent bloody looked at the subject since the mocks and its my best subject:eek:

So whats the best way to study seachanges? learn off the sections and time/key sigs? Cos I honestly havent looked at that in a year...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 *pda

yep I'm just learning key sigs n the changing time sigs n dies irae, etc..Less Stress for music is pretty good as well for the set pieces.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭22diamonds

I gotta get an A1 in this so I'm so glad I'm off between now and tuesday, and then off again on wednesday. I've never studied for music before... it's gonna be weird!! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭hippety-pippety

my teacher is pretty sure sean nos is gonna come up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 thewildone

I haven't heard anything. But irish music is only 10 marks as far as i know and everything else is basically a definite to come up so really you need to know it all. But listen out on 2fm they shud give you some good pointers!!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 anie_bawny

Learn the techniques too-they could hardley give a seachanges question with out asking the techniques used!
    Id say take a look at 6/8 melodies too maybe!:)

• Advertisement

Aw I'd love to do reeeeeally well in music! How did everyones practicals go?:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭starkinter

I think Seachanges would be a lovely question 1. It's just all little compositional gimmicks, which I think are really easy to talk about. Subtraction principle, 3-note cell, and all the strange harmonics and bridge notes etc.

Beatles, of course, would be grand too. Mozart was the last of ours to come up as a long question, so I think we've escaped that one. We got lucky there, I think. He's great, but there are just so many themes and motifs to remember with old Wolfgang.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭A-Bit-Dodge

Judging by the pre (Which I know isnt that smartest) and my teacher and actual violin teacher who also teaches, they reckon the gavotte or a minor minuet for melody writing, major chords question, mozart movement 3 for long question, dance macabre for that scourge of noise :rolleyes:....

Aw I'd love to do reeeeeally well in music! How did everyones practicals go?:)

Mine went pretty well I think. Played my own songs with guitar for voice and she was smiling by the end of them!
    Violin pieces went alright besides one or two slips and the clabback I prob got 70% for.

Right time to start learning what seachanges is...

starkinter wrote: »
    I think Seachanges would be a lovely question 1. It's just all little compositional gimmicks, which I think are really easy to talk about. Subtraction principle, 3-note cell, and all the strange harmonics and bridge notes etc.

Whats that again?

That's when they play the "seagull theme" (I think that's what it's called) that goes G-A-C-A-C-G then play it again without the last note, play it again without the last two notes, etc.

Oh yeah getcha....brings me back to last year when it was torture ha!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

"Seagull theme"? We just call it the "main melody"... But yeah Deane is great. It's always subtraction. Or addition/augmentation/diminution. That's basically it. And the rhythm for the danse macabre.

I hope a 6/8 melody comes up. Bleedin' love 6/8. Sean nós would be a handy one too.

"Seagull theme"? We just call it the "main melody"

Yeah, I have no idea why it's called the seagull theme. I suppose it's a bit seagull-like...

• Advertisement

Danse Macabre rythms horrible....

Advertisement