Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Music

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 grazielle

our teacher only gave us notes on the irish dances... so i'm gonna assume she knows something the rest of us don't?
    does anyone know where you can get online notes for ceili bands/ regional styles/ sean nos/ belfast harp festival?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭mattfender

grazielle wrote: »
    our teacher only gave us notes on the irish dances... so i'm gonna assume she knows something the rest of us don't?
    does anyone know where you can get online notes for ceili bands/ regional styles/ sean nos/ belfast harp festival?:confused:
    Dunno! I think everyones Music teacher is lazy...

mattfender wrote: »
    Dunno! I think everyones Music teacher is lazy...

ahh she's cool really but she never quite gets around to stuff sometimes...
    i'll find something somewhere!

grazielle wrote: »
    ahh she's cool really but she never quite gets around to stuff sometimes...
    i'll find something somewhere!
    Same with mine...and hot...so kinda distracting indeed!

Same with mine...and hot...so kinda distracting indeed!

ha i dont have that problem luckily.. yno not being attracted to other women... or people over 40 in general.. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

ha! I had two distracting teachers this year! I should be doing much better in music :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 16 cursive

does anyone have a question on "fusions" i could use?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭thusspakeblixa

cursive wrote: »
    does anyone have a question on "fusions" i could use?
    ''Describe in detail the fusion of Irish music with other genres over the last 20 years''
    That was one my music teacher gave us anyway

yay! cheers

i just dont know how to study music :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39 thewildone

i just dont know how to study music :(

I know. it's so hard! I need an A1 in music. I got a B in the mocks but i was lucky with the main set work question. But today I had a weird idea and honest it does work.
    I recorded myself talking over the music and put it on my i-pod. So i keep listening to it and instead of reading it off the page, which puts you off on theday because it isn't there, you learn it by ear and you're recognising it all as you go on.
    As for everything else, understand what you're saying and have a broad knowledge of it. You don't need to know everything in detail. It will only confuse you.
    Besta Luck :) x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭leavo08

are you all practising irish music section where we have to recognise the type of dance being played?? some of them are so so similar I never get it right!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Postman-Layla

leavo08 wrote: »
    are you all practising irish music section where we have to recognise the type of dance being played?? some of them are so so similar I never get it right!

+1
    Reels ftw. Everything is a reel to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭leavo08

yeah me too! how can we tell them apart?? hmm...I dont have any irish music cds I really should get one!

No you shouldn't! Post Thursday, you don't need to be able to tell a jig from your rectum 'less it's a skill you want.
    Apparently "rashers-and-sausages" is a 6-8 time signiture [which is possibly a jig......] but if you say it slow enough, it can be a hornpipe too >_<
    "Close your eyes and let Jesus guide you" is my motto.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

We learned stupid-sounding rhymes to learn them.. Anyway if you've ever done Irish dancing or gone to Irish college a reel is grand, "a haon do trí ceathair cúig sé seacht.. a haon dó trí" etc.
    As for jigs... well they're usually in 6 8 which sounds pretty different to 4 4, and they're more jaunty. Unless you get a slide, in which case it's probably going to be in 12 8 which might sound like a reel, but if there's too many of what sound like triplets, it's probably a jig.
    Hornpipes... well... they sit on their own in the corner, full of dotted quavers.

I'm finding music tricky to study too. Well, you can't really study for composition, so that's grand. Mostly just trying to look over the essay topics for Irish, and listening to the set works/going over the form, ad infinitum..
    It'd be handy if I had an mp3 player, but as it is I have to listen to the works at my computer... so then I go on the internet, and nothing gets done. Alas, my sweet vice.

EDIT: Also, Raidio na Gaeltachta usually plays dances, though they don't always tell you what it is, but it's a free source of Irish music, you can listen online too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 thewildone

leavo08 wrote: »
    yeah me too! how can we tell them apart?? hmm...I dont have any irish music cds I really should get one!

Go onto Youtube and type them in. Find a video with one instrument playing and you can learn from there.
    This might help: To a Reel : You can say "chips and beans" to the rhythm
    To a Jig : You can say "Rashers and sausages" i.e 123 456
    Then to tell the different between the jigs. The Double Jig is the most common type so just try and say rashers and sausages to it. The single Jig is really kinda swingy...It has all dotted rhythm and then a slip jig is kind of slow.
    Hope that helps

Hornpipes... well... they sit on their own in the corner, full of dotted quavers.

If I take any one snippet of information into music tomorrow, it's going to be that.

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Aspiration

Hi Guys,

Sorry to butt in but I just came across this thread and got very excited as this was our syllabus when I was doing the Leaving in 2004!

Loved our works, but could have killed our teacher for making us learn so much about Danse Macabre and "The Main Melody" for Deane even though I appreciate it so much more now... Oh the memories!

Best of luck guys! I have my fingers crossed for ye :)

thewildone wrote: »
    I know. it's so hard! I need an A1 in music. I got a B in the mocks but i was lucky with the main set work question. But today I had a weird idea and honest it does work.
    I recorded myself talking over the music and put it on my i-pod. So i keep listening to it and instead of reading it off the page, which puts you off on theday because it isn't there, you learn it by ear and you're recognising it all as you go on.
    As for everything else, understand what you're saying and have a broad knowledge of it. You don't need to know everything in detail. It will only confuse you.
    Besta Luck :) x
    Cheers! Yeah hoping for an A myself but only got C2 in mock. Major cramming shall happen tomorrow:pac: Good luck!

• Advertisement

Is it ''Rashers ans Sausages, Rashers and Sausages'' for a reel?!
    Or is that ''Black 'n Decker....''?

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭A-Bit-Dodge

Black and Decker:Reel 4/4
    Rashers and sausages: Jig 6/8
    Rashers and sausages tea and toast (I made that up :D): slip jig 9/8
    Humpty Dumpty (true story, it works): hornpipe SLOW!!!

I use ''It's-like-as-if-I-have-a-limp'' :D

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭A-Bit-Dodge

lmfao!!! Swoop! So using that... humpty dumpty, you're fired.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭22diamonds

Black and Decker:Reel 4/4
    Rashers and sausages: Jig 6/8
    Rashers and sausages tea and toast (I made that up :D): slip jig 9/8
    Ours is very similar to that.

For the hornpipe we say "Humpty Dumpty Humpty Dumpty"
    or "Amsterdam and Amsterdam and.."
    Difference between reel and hornpipe: Both are 4/4 time but the reel is slower and has dotted rhythm.

Slip jig is 9/8 so...
    "Rashers and sausages sausages, Rashers and sausages sausages"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭carpothepunk

I'm doin the continuation of a given opening thing...hope there's no upbeat to confuse me!:eek:

Upbeat is grand mate. What I do is, as soon as i open the melody, stick the upbeat given in at the end of the first line, and the end of the third line. Just pencil the rhythm in over the top,so you remember.

Well, you can't really study for composition, so that's grand.
    no way! definitely study that. even if its just ploughing through an old one. in fact, i reckon a lot of it is just knowing rules. its 50% of the overall exam, so study it! even if ya sit beside a piano and realise what looks lovely on paper sounds terrible aloud, practice!

V-I perfect
    VI-I plagal
    anything-V imperfect
    V-vi interrupted

etc etc

cursive wrote: »
    no way! definitely study that. even if its just ploughing through an old one. in fact, i reckon a lot of it is just knowing rules. its 50% of the overall exam, so study it! even if ya sit beside a piano and realise what looks lovely on paper sounds terrible aloud, practice!

V-I perfect
    VI-I plagal
    anything-V imperfect
    V-vi interrupted

etc etc
    our teacher gave us a format thing for answering phrases.
    ie. it contains modulations and and sequences, etc.
    I can put the ''plan'' up here if anyone wants?

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭22diamonds

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQs-cqQkbNo

that better come up as question 1!! it's the best!

• Advertisement

22diamonds wrote: »
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQs-cqQkbNo

that better come up as question 1!! it's the best!
    I'm reeeeeally hoping for Deane.
    I know most people hate it, but I like it, and also it is quite a bit easier! G-A-C....

Advertisement