Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Music

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭22diamonds

so do we all think that Beatles aren't coming up as question one? that might be a bit too easy? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭thusspakeblixa

22diamonds wrote: »
    so do we all think that Beatles aren't coming up as question one? that might be a bit too easy? :p
    Yeah... I wouldn't rule it out right now but out of the 4 I'd say it's least likely.
    ...although, they did come up in my mocks, so who knows!

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭banjopaul

If anyone's still looking for somewhere to listen to the irish music online, look no further than hear:
    http://comhaltas.ie/music/archive/C62/

There's examples of all the different dances in there if you look.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Question here: My teacher gave us a page of information about the Fleadh Cheoil... but I've never seen that come up as a question. Is it part of some other topic or something, or is there any point in learning it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭mattfender

Got notes for the irish contribution/influence essay off me mate
    • Emigration in the 1840's
    • Ireland's Poor/Starving going to US
    • Immigration Ships landed on East Coast USA and Canada
    • Novascotia, Newfoundland, Quebec City, Montreal, Boston and New York benifited greatly from Irish Music
    • Repetoirs, Inspiration
    • Michael Coleman Sligo Fiddler Influenced generations of Quebecois and Newfoundland Fiddlers
    • Mod Cappellas(?), Dennis Peacock are 2 canadian folk music collectors to Novascotia and Newfoundland Fishing Villages
    • Francis O'Neill, Chicago Policeman collected Irish tunes for families and workers
    • Powerful force in American music by Irish Music
    • Irish Music Played good part in the creation of Country Music
    • And in extension, Rock Music
    • Irish Music Hasn't stayed pure
    • melting pot of united states
    • contact with scottish and english traditional music
    • influenced strong scottish fiddling style
    • They put new set of lyrics to the collected songs and made them their own

Is this about right?

• Advertisement

mattfender wrote: »
    Got notes for the irish contribution/influence essay off me mate
    • Novascotia, Newfoundland, Quebec City, Montreal, Boston and New York benifited greatly from Irish Music
    • Repetoirs, Inspiration
    • Michael Coleman Sligo Fiddler Influenced generations of Quebecois and Newfoundland Fiddlers
    • Mod Cappellas(?), Dennis Peacock are 2 canadian folk music collectors to Novascotia and Newfoundland Fishing Villages
    • Francis O'Neill, Chicago Policeman collected Irish tunes for families and workers

Is this about right?
    Sounds good to me!
    And I doubt the Fleadh Ceoil would come up in it's own right, maybe in a kinda general question on modern Irish music?

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭meeka

Question here: My teacher gave us a page of information about the Fleadh Cheoil... but I've never seen that come up as a question. Is it part of some other topic or something, or is there any point in learning it?

Our teacher gave us a few notes about that, as part as the "developments in Irish music in the past 50 years" question that seems to come up occasionally! Might be useful there. Our teacher seems confident that Sean Nós will come up this year, anyway, so I think I may just gamble a bit...

Oh, he also thinks that Berlioz movement 4 will come up as Question 1, a 6/8 composition and a minor harmony. So, we'll see!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Hm, we didn't do anything else for "developments over the last 50 years". Might just leave it out. I hope the harping tradition comes up anyway. Or Francis O'Neill.

Oh that would be lovely if those things came up. Or a minor 6/8 melody. Am I some kind of masochist or what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭quoteunquote

can anyone give some tips on the minor melody composition? HELP!

Just find its relative major to get the key sig?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 student12008

for minor melodies just make sure you put a cadence at the end of each phrase! dont make them all the same aswel. and say if they put a b natural in the opening lines make sure you put the natural sign infront of all the b notes you use throughout the melody. you loose marks if you dont! hope that helps
    :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭quoteunquote

Ok I've a question! I know to find the relative minor you go back 3 including the major and raise the 7th but is it the seventh of the relative minor key or the major key that you raise? I'm pretty sure it's the new minor but just thought I'd be sure.

In other words is this right

A major ---> F# minor (raise the E)

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭banjopaul

Yep, raise the 7th in the minor scale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

Just a question: I'd love to do music for the leaving cert but I only play drums as an instrument. Would I be able to do music as a subject? What does it consist of?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 SuperJen

In the backing chord question, when do you put the "7" in the box beside the key?? thanks, im v v confused!!!

flyswatter wrote: »
    Just a question: I'd love to do music for the leaving cert but I only play drums as an instrument. Would I be able to do music as a subject? What does it consist of?
    Of course you would!
    It consists of
    25% practical (playing)
    25% listening (set works- music you learn about)
    25% composition (melody writing)
    and 25% you elect to give to one of the three sections above.
    I'd especially recommend it playing drums!

SuperJen wrote: »
    In the backing chord question, when do you put the "7" in the box beside the key?? thanks, im v v confused!!!
    It's if you want to make it a 7th. eg. Chord V, well it can't be followed by itself, so give it a 7th and it becomes V7 and it can follow V!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

Of course you would!
    It consists of
    25% practical (playing)
    25% listening (set works- music you learn about)
    25% composition (melody writing)
    and 25% you elect to give to one of the three sections above.
    I'd especially recommend it playing drums!

Cheers for that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 SuperJen

It's if you want to make it a 7th. eg. Chord V, well it can't be followed by itself, so give it a 7th and it becomes V7 and it can follow V!

Good luck tomorrow, hopefully we'll get a nice paper ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭aine-maire

Yeah,you're totally right..........the 7 chord is basically the same chord, with the 7th note of the scale included,so it's useful if the 7th note is in the melody :)

• Advertisement

aine-maire wrote: »
    Yeah,you're totally right..........the 7 chord is basically the same chord, with the 7th note of the scale included,so it's useful if the 7th note is in the melody :)
    I always use V7, it's great!
    Especially leading up to a perfect cadence V-V7-V-I
    Lovely :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭aine-maire

No you shouldn't! Post Thursday, you don't need to be able to tell a jig from your rectum 'less it's a skill you want.
    Apparently "rashers-and-sausages" is a 6-8 time signiture [which is possibly a jig......] but if you say it slow enough, it can be a hornpipe too >_<
    "Close your eyes and let Jesus guide you" is my motto.

I use "cheese-and-onion-taytos" for a hornpipe,it totally works! :)

In the Q5 if you get a bass note and en empty chord box overhead do you put in the that chord?

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭A-Bit-Dodge

FCUK!! I just realised, I can't do melody writing... only 6/8timing!!!
    Minors are a mystery to me....:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Do you literally write V7 if you wanna put a 7th in? What about Ia or 1b nd all?

mattfender wrote: »
    Do you literally write V7 if you wanna put a 7th in? What about Ia or 1b nd all?
    Well I write C7, D7, etc.
    I'm not familiar with the ''Ia , 1b'' system, I know friends of mine uses Roman Numerals (V7) though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Langerhands

I know its a bit late but could somebody please give me the main points of that essay irish music's contribution to music in north america'
    all i have is stuff on sean-nos and the harp

Well I write C7, D7, etc.
    I'm not familiar with the ''Ia , 1b'' system, I know friends of mine uses Roman Numerals (V7) though

Actually I just remembered I dont use roman numerals ha!:pac:

So if there's an upbeat in the continuation thing do you put your phrase line to the second last bar and then start it again from the last bar on the top line?

I know its a bit late but could somebody please give me the main points of that essay irish music's contribution to music in north america'
    all i have is stuff on sean-nos and the harp
    • Repetoirs, Inspiration

There u go

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Langerhands

I love you very much. never forget that, lol