Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Music

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭mattfender

I love you very much. never forget that, lol
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭leavo08

for a minor melody..all I know is to find the relative minor key sig..raise the 7th...cadences etc..but is it true we dont modulate?? is everything else the same as with a major melody?

and with a minor harmony, what do we do thats different to a major??

I really shouldnt have spent all my time on set works!..Still cant believe we never did minors in school....really appreciate any help!!

I'm screwed if a minor comes up

me too....and everyone is saying it will....when was the last time it showed up??

dont ask me! Is this for Q1 yeah?

• Advertisement

either of them.. I think if I see a minor harmony, I might just cry..I dont even know what it is!!

Haha! you just raise the 7th then...innit?? :( Damn that'll be confusing

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭banjopaul

Well I write C7, D7, etc.
    I'm not familiar with the ''Ia , 1b'' system, I know friends of mine uses Roman Numerals (V7) though
    1a, 1b and 1c refer to the first second and third inversion of a chord.

i dont like inversions. Just trying to memorise the diffrent parts in mozart and all now...when they say "describe the form of this movement as a whole" what do they want?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 student12008

i think they mean if its the 1st movement describe sonata form, 2nd ternary and for the 3rd sonata rondo. im really tired but i have to stay up! i still have more to look over :( im so glad its not on until 1 30!

• Advertisement

i think they mean if its the 1st movement describe sonata form, 2nd ternary and for the 3rd sonata rondo. im really tired but i have to stay up! i still have more to look over :( im so glad its not on until 1 30!

Cheers will go over that so!
    I still have loads to go over inc beatles and seachanges! Bed now though it can wait until the morn! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭teckoda

Right, I've got the flu and haven't started study yet and the exam starts in little over 4 hours :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 amaya4

:( Composing.....marks for originality and good ideas...hmmm..if u have to copy the basic idea, how original can you go? and how??...:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 *pda

leavo08 wrote: »
    for a minor melody..all I know is to find the relative minor key sig..raise the 7th...cadences etc..but is it true we dont modulate?? is everything else the same as with a major melody?

you don't have to modulate for a minor key but you can if you want. I always do cuz it gives more structure to the piece and I don't have to think as much!!

aaahh I'm screwed!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 amaya4

By the way....very handy site..You need to download Sibelius Scorch though...doesnt take long, jst go to the site!

http://www.hberlioz.com/Scores/79428394.htm

Plays Berlioz's 2 movements while moving along the score. Kind of handy...

*pda wrote: »
    you don't have to modulate for a minor key but you can if you want. I always do cuz it gives more structure to the piece and I don't have to think as much!!

aaahh I'm screwed!!

In Q1 doesnt it tell you to modulate? You can tell if its a minor key if there's accidentals yeah? And you just keep adding the addidentals? Say if its in F#Minor wud the tonic note be F or its relative major A?

I cannot take one more day of this...

haha...hector berlioz...

whod have thought it!

yepp just raise the 7th of the minor chord!

I think the tonic would be f...why would we bring relative majors into it?

dear god I hope im not wrong...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Aye forget about the relative major. The tonic of F sharp minor is F sharp. Minor keys are legitimte keys too, they get their own tonics!

• Registered Users Posts: 16 cursive

does anyone know a good website that simply shows keys, scales, minors, relatives and all that? i wanna revise em!

• Advertisement

So just dont even think about the relative major and just pretend its absoutly normal and just keep putting the accidentals in?

www.musictheory.net

its so so basic but is the best I can find!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

Okay if we're given a minor to modulate instead of a major, what are the main differences between them ?

cursive wrote: »
    does anyone know a good website that simply shows keys, scales, minors, relatives and all that? i wanna revise em!
    I got good way to remember key sigs from the RIAM is think of "(F)ather (C)harles (G)oes (D)own (A)nd (E)nds (B)attle" (FCGDAEB) If you wanna get Emaj go to E on the sentance and jump back two places which is D and everything up to D including D is the sharps u need. For flats its backwards "(B)attle (E)nds (A)nd (D)own (G)oes (C)harles (F)ather" (BEADGCF) I you need E flat major go to E on the sentance and jump forward 1 place to A and the key sig is everythin up to there including A. So B, E and A flats is the key sig for E flat

I remember them by the "letter after the last sharp"is the key or the "second last flat"is the key.....that way you just have to know a Bb means F major.....

leavo08 wrote: »
    I remember them by the "letter after the last sharp"is the key or the "second last flat"is the key.....that way you just have to know a Bb means F major.....
    Aye I do that too.

Also, for LC afaik we only need to know up to 4 sharps, 4 flats. So C obviously, then for sharps GDAE, (strings of a violin btw : P), and FBEA for flats.

@mattfender: Yeah, well you have to do some things with the 6th and th 7th of the scale if they occur as passing notes (don't raise the 7th as a passing note, do raise the 6th as a passing note) to prevent an augmented second between a sixth and a raised 7th.

I wish this exam was in the morning, I could be getting it over and done with instead of wasting my time online. >.<

Yup thats right too, like cover the last flat and its that flat...

So how do you count the seachanges time sig "a fry up and a cuppa tea"??!

• Registered Users Posts: 16 cursive

thanks guys!also havin a bit of trouble tryin to find the name of a reel and a jig. (WHY IS IT SO HARD... the internet is an alladins cave of nothing!!)

• Advertisement

I use Drowsy Maggie for reel and The Irish Washerwoman for a Double Jig (Tuirne Mháire for Single Jig and The Rocky Road to Dublin for Slip/Hop Jig). To be honest, the way trad tunes go, you could probably get away with "<Any Irish Surname>'s Jig/Reel/Whatever"...

Advertisement