Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Floor Insulation

• 09-06-2008 8:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭

Hi Folks,
    I will be putting in 50mm insulation in floor in a few weeks, currently getting quotes from plumbers and i wondering if they usually keep piping raised over 50mm so i can slide insulation underneath and then work away with the flow screed.
    What is the usual method.
    Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

pete6296 wrote: »
    Hi Folks,
    I will be putting in 50mm insulation in floor in a few weeks, currently getting quotes from plumbers and i wondering if they usually keep piping raised over 50mm so i can slide insulation underneath and then work away with the flow screed.
    What is the usual method.
    Thanks

will 50mm pass the new regs?
    in this day and age i would be putting in at least 100mm of insulation imo of course

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭pete6296

I have been told 50mm Kingspan Kooltherm is adequate.
    kceire wrote: »
    will 50mm pass the new regs?
    in this day and age i would be putting in at least 100mm of insulation imo of course

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭gummibear

pete6296 wrote: »
    I have been told 50mm Kingspan Kooltherm is adequate.
    From my limited knowledge (I mean Limited!:D) it depends on P/A ratio. 50mm will give a U-value of 0.25 or better if Perimeter/Area is 0.5 or less but anything greater than that and it might not be adequate.
    I take it you not going with UFH.

Hi,
    Not going with UFH, standard rads throughout
    gummibear wrote: »
    From my limited knowledge (I mean Limited!:D) it depends on P/A ratio. 50mm will give a U-value of 0.25 or better if Perimeter/Area is 0.5 or less but anything greater than that and it might not be adequate.
    I take it you not going with UFH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭ardara1

From July Regs minimum 125mm Polyiso or 200mm Aerobord with under floor heating. Even in current standards 50mm slight - 50mm perhaps in very big floor - possibly 60mm in standard floor to meet 0.25 BUT - advisory note in BS - increase floor insulation by 30% when using UFH

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Pete, the insulation should be in place before the plumber comes.... he wont keep pipes elevated so you can slide insulation under.

as the lads have said above aim for min 60mm insulation, kingspan or otherwise.. not aeroboard.

The plumber can fix his pipes to the isulaion with u shaped ties... DO NOT allow him to fix pipes in place with wet mix cement!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

100mm imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

We used 2x50mm at 90 degrees from each other with UFH

Don't forget the edge insulation too.

SSE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

Mellor wrote: »
    100mm imo

echo that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭getfit

sydthebeat wrote: »

The plumber can fix his pipes to the isulaion with u shaped ties... DO NOT allow him to fix pipes in place with wet mix cement!!!!

Why can't he fix the pipes with wet cement??? What's the risk/downside?

• Advertisement

Hi,
    But the constant traffic etc, would that not damage piping or do i simply place it where plumber will be running pipes. Pouring of screed would be a long way down the road after drylining etc.
    Thanks
    sydthebeat wrote: »
    Pete, the insulation should be in place before the plumber comes.... he wont keep pipes elevated so you can slide insulation under.

as the lads have said above aim for min 60mm insulation, kingspan or otherwise.. not aeroboard.

getfit wrote: »
    Why can't he fix the pipes with wet cement??? What's the risk/downside?

the cement will set... the new floors slab wont adhere to this set cement therefore the floor in essence at these points is more prone to cracking. Also, this wet mix is hardly every to the same cement grade as the floor slab will be..... which adds to the above issue. Its simply poor workmanship.

pete, i dont understand your last post..... whats is 'it'???

if you are worried about the insulation being down for too long, well thats down to project management... the ideal situation is:
    day 1... lay insulation.
    day 2.... plumbing installed.
    either late day 2 or early day 3... floor slab poured.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 River King

Hi,

Just started my house build recently. Is 100mm Aeroboard underfloor insulation adequate? No underfloor heating system, just rads.

River King wrote: »
    Hi,

Just started my house build recently. Is 100mm Aeroboard underfloor insulation adequate? No underfloor heating system, just rads.

that may just meet the regs...

but you would be much better off with laying 2 x 50mm of kingspan or xtratherm, as above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

I put down i think 70mm or 75mm Insualtion. Now knowing what i know now i wish i went with 100.

Also talk to the plumber. If your only doing rads in the house and not underfloor heating. I would think it would not matter if the plumber came in and did his work first. Might mean a tiny bit more work when doing insulation after.

Advertisement