Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cropping

• 09-06-2008 8:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭

When shooting sports pics I do minimal pp using Windows photo gallery this allows me to crop using the same aspect, have shot in raw recently converted using Photoshop and when cropping in PS I lose the aspect a bit making the pics look a bit odd, prob a simple solution but I cant work it out, any tips?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

You are using "user defined" AR for the cropping in PS by the sounds of things.

CS3 has a bunch of predefined crop tools, otherwise you can set the measurements yourself. You'll need to know what AR you have and choose the one you need. PSE used to have a very nice "use existing ratio" tool but I haven't worked out how to make it happen in CS3 yet and anyway I set up a bunch of predefined tools to suit me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

If you crop in CS2, holding some key is going to keep the ration. Try holding, SHIFT, CTRL or ALT.
    I haven't touched PS three months!!! :eek:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

There are also crop presets up in the dashboard at the top of the screen that let you pick standard crop aspect ratios.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭countryjimbo

Hold down shift while using the crop tool and it'll maintain the aspect ratio.

Another tip I've found useful when cropping, is to create a new image, set it to the desired size and resolution. Then copy and paste your original image. Use Edit, Transform and scale to resize the image, press shift when resizing. When doing this you'll typically only see a small portion of the image so just after choosing transform, hit Ctrl + 0 to see the image outline.

Advertisement