Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Wacken

• 09-06-2008 9:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭

Anyone here going to it?

Any tips or advice for the n00bs?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,043 ✭✭✭DenMan

Damn I'd love to go. Been reading the Hammer magazine and saw the advertisement. Looks brilliant. With Iron Maiden, Nightwish, Lordi, Children of Bodom all playing it's going to be awesome. At the Gates and Opeth as well.

I was going to give you the link to their website but it won't load unfortunately. Hope this is of some use for you.

http://www.forum.wacken.com/showthread.php?t=122556

Enjoy the gig.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Dathai

Wear hiking boots, or some sort of comfortable boots. Your feet will be wrecked within an hour of getting there. Travel light, dont bring loads of t-shirts or anything, the metal market is huge, so you'll be able to go in there and buy as much stuff as you like.

Was there in 2007 and 2006. Wouldn't go again. It's not able to hold as many people as it claims to do this year. Last year it was unbelievably crammed and this year there are more people.
    You'll have a blast though, you probably wont get to see as many of the bands as you set out to - getting hammered usually gets in the way :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

Haven't been since 2003, so don't have too much advice for that specific festival anymore really. Just pack as little as possible if you're hoping to pick up some clothes, because there's loads of choice there and the lighter rucksack the better.
    Bring a decent raincoat/poncho. Weather is usually pretty good at the festivals, but when it rains it's usually really heavy! Bring a lightweight waterproof pair of ankle boots and maybe a spare pair of runners for travelling to & from the gig. Nothing nicer than a fresh pair of runners & socks after walking around in crap all weekend.
    Babywipes & suncream are a must and a toilet roll. Most of it is common sense that applies to all festivals really, but if you want any more info, have a look at the following:

http://www.metalireland.com/ - go to the festivals part - 57 pages worth of info there for Wacken & 12 pages of tips for general festivals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭quoteunquote

Cheers for the advice! I'm not too happy with the festival line-up this year. We bought our tickets waaaaaaaay too early. But I'm sure the experience will be great. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭StormWarrior

I went to wacken 2005. It rained alot, there was mud up to my knees, the people were a bit too wild, for instance someone smeared **** up the walls and ceiling of the portaloos. The layout of the festival wasn't that great. Sweden Rock and Tuska are much better in my opinion, more laid back and much better weather. Also, at wacken, by lunchtime the majority of people were passed out drunk. They don't seem able to pace themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭brown-dog

I have been to Wacken a few times but was far too packed last year....Graspop all the way and Sweden Rock is a wicked fest to. You will have a great time though as wouldnt want to put anyone off going. Pack light. I spent a small fortune there last year - you'd swear I was minted the way I was spending lol

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

always wanted to go to this,mite try nd go next yr.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭subzero12

Anyone here going to it?

Any tips or advice for the n00bs?

ive been in 06,07 but wacken not the festival for me this year it was hell feast and what a line up it was ,but yeah hiking boots +1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭ZakAttak

Buy a big bottle of cheap vodka and/or whiskey. Then buy some small plastic bottles (look for something with a sports cap - powerade for instance). Then buy a load of mixer (remember coke goes flat so orange juice is a good idea, it needs a few days before it goes sour). However, vodka and white lemonade is always good because it looks like water and if some annoying security prat tells you you can't bring in the bottle you can always claim its just water. Mix up your spirits and mixer in one of the small bottles and then drink out of this for the rest of the day, go back to your campsite if you need a refill or carry a 2nd bottle round with you.

Heres why you should do this-

If you drink beer you'll have to go to the toilet all the time- festival toilets are not good and you'll want to use them as little as possible (plus you don't want to have to run to the jacks when your fave band are playing)+ you dont want to have to q up anywhere just to get a drink.

Its much cheaper.

Trying to carry around large drink containers (ie. large beer cups/cans) at festivals is a pain, theres always some fat cvnt who'll stumble in to you and knock it over.

Remember not to get hammered before lunchtime, you'll just get tired and not be able to do anything- walk around and soak up the atmosphere and after lunch kick in to the drinking.

Word of warning about metal fests- be careful with your 'stuff'. Unfortunately some metal fans are very anti-'stuff',(certain elements of the as$hole skinhead groups are like this)if they see someone doing it they might give them abuse or worse, nark them out. Most aren't like this at all (in fact quite the opposite). But be careful all the same.

one more thing- garda get a fair bit of abuse in this country, but believe me european cops are much worse (spanish,german and italian especially) they'll have no problem giving you a clattering- its not right, its just the way they are.so if you get yourself in to trouble best to suck up and kiss as$,don't give them a reason to hit you.and stay away from Hells angels, they are completely different from the hells angels we have here and in the U.K.

Even having said all that-I'm sure you'll have a whale of a time.

Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 icedflamz

I am going! Can't wait! Just came to Dublin from Canada almost a year ago and we don't have any big metal fests even remotely like this back home! Now I finally have the chance to go. The trip over there will be well worth it I'm sure... even though the line-up doesn't included all my fav bands. The experience will be priceless. Cheers for all of the advice!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 sickmyduck

i wanna go ....
    gots the funds and time off and all my mates are
    BUT major problem !!!
    nooo ticket soo i reallly gotta
    step up the ticket search as its only 32 days away
    i really gotta stop leaving things to the last min

• Registered Users Posts: 3 icedflamz

Hey sickmyduck,
    Saw this on gumtree.ie a couple days ago... checked it out and looks like its still avail. One beautiful golden ticket to wacken!! Hope this helpls.

http://www.gumtree.ie/dublin/60/24728560.html

• Registered Users Posts: 41 sickmyduck

Thank youhh!
    i sent them an email to see if there still sellin it
    soo seee what happens :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Dathai

ZakAttak wrote: »
    .and stay away from Hells angels, they are completely different from the hells angels we have here and in the U.K.

Enjoy!

Sorry mate, I've never heard of any trouble with bikers or anything at Wacken. I've spoken to loads of bikers from Italy, Germany, France and loads more places while at the festival - and they've been the soundest bunch of lads ever.

And regarding the skinhead thing. I've been to a few festivals where there have been a strong skinhead presence, and I've never seen anyone getting anything taken, or had their "stuff" (I presume you mean drugs) taken.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭moggins7

CARCASS!!!
    that is all.

Advertisement