Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Question re insurance for provisional driver

Options
  • 09-06-2008 9:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭

I am currently on my second provisional license and have applied for my driving test. I have narrowly failed twice already which was largely due to the fact that I am not driving regularly. I want to buy a car now but I am wondering will I be able to get insurance when the new law comes in if I am the only person insured on the car i.e. no full licensed driver on the Insurance?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,902 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Yes, you'll still be able to get insurance. You won't, however, be allowed drive alone - thats all thats changing. Situations no different to a first provisional is/still is actually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭looking4advice

so what would happen if I was involved in an accident unaccompanied?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,902 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Depends on the insurer. They're pretty much obliged to pay out the third party claim. The rest is really down to the insurer.

Quinn for instance were known for being extremely lax as goes 'giving a crap' about the unaccompanied rules. Its also possible that the Guards could prosecute you for driving unaccompanied as they'd almost certainly "catch" you due to the crash, and while this was rare under the old rules they may be more strict.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

Ask the insurance company. I know when I asked Hibernian they said I'd be covered if I was unaccompanied.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Hibernian told me it would be a matter for the guards. Double standards, or are they just making it up as they go along?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Pretty sure you're still gonna be insured..

It's like saying you're uninsured while breaking the speed limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

Hibernian told me it would be a matter for the guards. Double standards, or are they just making it up as they go along?

In fairness I've had my full license for over a year now so they may have changed things since.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 mosfo

i'm with hibernian and just moved back to dublin from co. cork. called them to enquire why my insurance (fully comp) increased from €520 to €560. was told that this was because i'd moved back to dublin city. 'fair nuff', i thought. was then advised that someone from 'customer services' would call me back. she did indeed call me back and told me i was due a 'loyalty bonus'. apologies about all the ''''. anyways, she then reduced my premium to €420!!!

call the bast*rds and question your premium. they just assume you wont.

Advertisement