Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Question re insurance for provisional driver

Options
  • 09-06-2008 9:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭

I am currently on my second provisional license and have applied for my driving test. I have narrowly failed twice already which was largely due to the fact that I am not driving regularly. I want to buy a car now but I am wondering will I be able to get insurance when the new law comes in if I am the only person insured on the car i.e. no full licensed driver on the Insurance?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Yes you will be able to get insured on your own, the new law only requires you to be accompanied by a fully licensed driver who has held a full cat B license for over 2 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭looking4advice

and if I was involved in an accident unaccompanied by a full licensed driver, would that be considered as invalidating my insurance?

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Nools

it is up the the insurer. im a provisional 1st, and i have fully comp, with Hibernian through a broker, and im still valid if i hit someone BUT it would be up to the police not the insurer to prosecute you. ask the people your thinking of getting insured with, in my opinion you'd want to make sure it wasnt invalid.

i was hit from behind a few months ago, i was driving on my own, and it had nothing to do with me or my insurance as the person who hit me-their insurance was effected not mine. does that make sense cuz it feels a little rambley

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I am currently on my second provisional license
    the new law only requires you to be accompanied by a fully licensed driver who has held a full cat B license for over 2 years.
    The OP is exempt from that requirement Alan as it only applies to Learner Permit holders. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Ah right you are, apologies i misread the post. But come the 30th of June deadline, you will be required to be accompanied by a fully licensed driver having held there license for at least 2 years. Thanks wishbone ash;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement