Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fitter'n'faster

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭sobriquet

2008-09-06:
    17 miles, 2:53:18
    First two hours felt great, the rest was tough going and I slowed quite a lot. Probably started too quick though it didn't feel like it. Weather perfect for it.

2008-09-07:
    3 miles, 27:16
    Recovery jog, shook the legs out a bit.

2008-09-09:
    ~6 miles, 47:33 - A muddy course in the pissing rain but felt great, really enjoyed this run.

2008-09-10:
    ~5.5 miles, 52 minutes

2008-09-11:
    7.35 miles, 70:13
    Two awful runs, didn't have it in me at all. Was pretty pissed off with them.

2008-09-13:
    13.1 miles, 1:50
    Derry half marathon, my first half. Felt great, kept a fairly disciplined pace throughout and had enough left to pick up the pace a touch for the last two miles.

2008-09-16:
    7.7 miles, 64:57

2008-09-17:
    6 miles, 51:28 - Ran first 2 miles way too fast, pulled well back for the rest.

2008-09-19:
    6 miles, 47:21 - Same as previous route, felt good and strong, like I had more in me.

2008-09-21:
    18.5 miles, 3:02:00
    Ran this at 9am to get used to getting up to go running. Averaged slightly under 10 minute miles and was able to stay fairly steady and consistent for the whole thing, if not fresh. Felt like I could've pushed a couple more miles out if I needed to.

Beginning to wonder about marathon pace. I did the half at ~8:30 mile pace average comfortably enough but I'm not sure how that translates to full marathon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

Hi Sobriquet,

Well done in Derry, great run.

There is a pace calculator here. This calculator assumes a full training schedule and build up for the marathon and the vast majority of runners would not have the endurance under the belt to match their predicted marathon time. Most would lose 10 mins or more. That might translate to 30 seconds per mile or more above the prediction to be safe. These are only guidelines: youll know yourself as you get closer.
    I suppose the pace you pick has to get you to mile 20 in one piece with brain and body intact!

Sounds like youre going reat best of luck. Im doing one in Europe in the Spring but need to pick a one about 4 or 5 weeks after the Connehalfmarathon.

Cheers T runner, aye everything's going well so far. I looked up the McMillan pace calc alright, and that ties into what a friend says who's done a few marathons now and reckons a good predictor for him is 2x half marathon time + 20 mins. 9-9:15 pace might work given the half marathon pace was about 8:30. Like you say, whatever gets me around in one. Hope training and all is going well with yourself too.

• Advertisement
Advertisement