Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford's €400m development could create thousands of jobs

• 09-06-2008 9:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭

anyone know much about this?

Thousands of jobs will be created in Waterford City if plans for a massive retail and residential development get the go-ahead, it was announced today.

The €400m City Quay project is expected to employ around 500 people during construction and another 3,000 when completed.

Based on the site of Ard Rí Hotel the ambitious scheme will feature 400,000 square feet of retail, commercial, residential and cultural space as well as a new hotel.

Waterford TD and Tourism Minister Martin Cullen said the development was a vote of confidence in the county and its people.

“Waterford has many strengths including a strategic location, a compact city, proximity to a major port and an outstanding estuarine setting,” he said.

“Waterford has the potential to be Ireland’s leading Gateway city.

“WIT, an educational centre of excellence, is campaigning to be granted university status, Waterford Airport is expanding and growing its services to customers, while a new motorway to Dublin is due for completion by 2010, together with a new bypass and second river crossing.

“The City Quay development, when completed, will greatly add to the economic, social and cultural strengths of Waterford City.”

A planning application for City Quay is to be lodged tomorrow.

At the launch developer Tom Coughlan pledged the new 208 bed hotel would be finished by the start of the Tall Ships Race in Waterford in 2011 if they get to work by next year.

“As Ireland enters more challenging economic times, specifically in the construction industry, only projects with excellent potential will succeed,” Mr Coughlan said.

“With the support we have received from the City of Waterford for this project, as well as the strength of the local Waterford economy, we are confident that City Quay will help Waterford continue its development as one of Ireland’s leading regional cities.”

The city’s chamber of commerce said the development would enhance Waterford as both a place to live and work.

http://breakingnews.ie/business/mhgbojmheysn/

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭BBM77

God another plan, when are we going to see a big city centre development actually being built.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭KingLoser

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Is that the same plan as before regarding the Ard-Ri site? I never saw the previous illustations. Amused at the high minded sustainable living stuff and pix with cars all over the place!

Mike

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭ec18

from the link i like it.... reminds me of those dicovery shows, on projects around the world

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

I passed the entrance of the Ard-ri about an hour ago there's a Planning notice up on the wooden fence there was two or three people standing there reading it and I didn't have time to stop and read it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭TheFlatulator

cue... yer man to lodge his objection to it today...

at least it will bring in some jobs anyways

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

How long does it take for the application to appear on the councils website again? I look forward to seeing the space shutle application :D

after visiting the website I quite like it. of course it's only an artists impression I'm suree the final product will be much different

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭racram

That's a really cool website too.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

KingLoser wrote: »

Sorry missed this link. This looks a lot different then the impression give to the News & Star in April. Looks a lot better, less space shuttly like! The website isnt the best though.

Cant see it getting the go ahead. All eyes on Brendan folks! (He needs an office of his own at this stage, or at least should be allowed on the list of planning officals :P)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

don't you just love those artists impressions! They use pictures of people obviously not from Ireland considering the fact that they are wearing clothes more suitable for the med! Or perhaps when this place is built the weather will magically improve..yeah, that's it surely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

parts of the new development look good and some look not so good, still not sure about that red and white checkerboard design on the main part of the hotel.

Gotta say theres still the issue of the dual carraigeway splitting the north quary and Ardree development. Perhaps they could go really ambitious and build over (part of) the dual carraigeway to stop that visual disconnect between the quay and ardree making the dual carraigeway into a tunnel, do something wild and unusual to make it really stand out.

Gotta say theres still the issue of the dual carraigeway splitting the north quary and Ardree development. Perhaps they could go really ambitious and build over (part of) the dual carraigeway to stop that visual disconnect between the quay and ardree making the dual carraigeway into a tunnel, do something wild and unusual to make it really stand out.

I was think about this the other option is to build a walk over for pedestrains.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

KRM has been going since '03 or '04 and it's still going. Could someone bump this thread in 5 years time at which time I'll start getting excited... :(

Apologies for the bleakness.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,040 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

trishw78 wrote: »
    I passed the entrance of the Ard-ri about an hour ago there's a Planning notice up on the wooden fence there was two or three people standing there reading it and I didn't have time to stop and read it.

Yeah, there were 2 guys in suits putting up those application signs last night at around 9.30 when I was passing.

It looks really well alright, but I could also see George Kavanagh objecting, he is the owner of sion house unless of course he get bought out. Also it look like is could be backing on to some houses in Bishopsgrove too. Fairly ambitious plan but unfortunately will probably never happen

Although the 'artist impression' shows Sion house still being there.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,040 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

trishw78 wrote: »
    Although the 'artist impression' shows Sion house still being there.

Your dead right Trish, Its only when you go into the overview picture of it, you realise how big the actual site is. Also from that picture, it seems it goes no where near bishops grove either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Bards

Waht's the bet that the Kilkenny side of the development gets the go ahead but the Waterford side gets put back:D

Bards wrote: »
    Waht's the bet that the Kilkenny side of the development gets the go ahead but the Waterford side gets put back:D

Or vica versa. What a joke that 'county' boundary is. And all because of hurling.

merlante wrote: »
    Or vica versa. What a joke that 'county' boundary is. And all because of hurling.

all because of hurling?? u for real or bitter?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Bards

merlante wrote: »

nah, more than likely McCann couldn;'t be bothered travelling to Kilkenny to lodge an objection...oopps submission

Bards wrote:
    nah, more than likely McCann couldn;'t be bothered travelling to Kilkenny to lodge an objection...oopps submission

That's quite a distance for one man to travel in a day. He'd probably have to stay over.

all because of hurling?? u for real or bitter?

Bitter?

The only reason anybody cares about county boundaries in this country is because of the GAA. Councils also care about rates. It's a near certainty that if the GAA didn't exist Waterford would have had a boundary extension on the north side of the river and you wouldn't have the ridiculous situation where half of the Ard Ri is in Waterford and the other half is in Kilkenny. Similarly this development will have to apply to two local authorities.

point taken merlante, fair enough. the planning system in this country is a joke anyway, it's designed to keep a few crusty civil servants in jobs for life and to keep them on a nice constant power trip.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

mike65 wrote: »
    Is that the same plan as before regarding the Ard-Ri site? I never saw the previous illustations. Amused at the high minded sustainable living stuff and pix with cars all over the place!

Mike

agreed, some joke... not a person on a bike in sight anywhere or anything like that

Personally can't see this going ahead, objections will be based on either:
    - The ruining of the view from the city
    - Affects on traffic congestion, lack of public transport etc
    - "Taking the business out of Waterford" type of stuff

sure we'll see

Cabaal wrote: »
    agreed, some joke... not a person on a bike in sight anywhere or anything like that

Personally can't see this going ahead, objections will be based on either:
    - The ruining of the view from the city
    - Affects on traffic congestion, lack of public transport etc
    - "Taking the business out of Waterford" type of stuff

sure we'll see

Umm... it is Waterford.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Is this instead of the skyscraper development that was planned for bilberry or something else?

No this is seperate (skyscrapers north and south of the river!)

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

What, there will be more than one skyscraper?

• Advertisement

Nah not unless about 10 stories counts. :(

edit - the hotel will be 17 stories - nearly quite high.

Mike.

Advertisement