Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Making your own fuel from CO2 - does this man have the answers?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Sounds like complete bollocks to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

sounds plausible ....-ish

lots of if's and but's and how on earth's ...but plausible ...-ish:D

If only it were true.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,193 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Anan1 wrote: »
    Sounds like complete bollocks to me.

They probably said the same about the round wheel:D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Capturing CO2 (well Co and Co2) is nothing new. Miners and U-boaters used to have breathing filters to capture the Co from their breath and conserve the limited air for longer.

It also is no secret that plants (like algae) live of CO2.

Some plants are even known to produce (combustible) oils

But is it possible to line up these three "technologies" in one neat chain?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

I'm with Peasant oln this one....very very doubtful, but fair play to them for trying.

Plus is it any good on something like an Aygo?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,193 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

He's Proved it works but there are a few problems...

The size of the device, it's still to big for cars, might work for generators and big jeeps...

Carbon is not valuable enough to make the capture and refining of it commercially viable yet, it needs to hit $50 a tonne, won't be until 2012...but it can be stored as liquid in the mean time..... http://www.businessgreen.com/business-green/news/2217595/cost-carbon-hit

He's Proved it works but there are a few problems...
    He's said he's proved it works, which is quite different. Read this quote, for example: '“Now a country on its own emissions can supply its own fuel. It’s a closed loop system. If you fill your car up on a Monday, we can give you the fuel back with a fresh cartridge.' Really, Mr Houston? You can turn 60% of the CO2 produced by a car into 100% of the fuel burnt? I dunno, maybe the man has magic algae.;)

Carbon is not valuable enough to make the capture and refining of it commercially viable yet, it needs to hit $50 a tonne, won't be until 2012...but it can be stored as liquid in the mean time..... http://www.businessgreen.com/business-green/news/2217595/cost-carbon-hit
    Are you sure they're not talking about carbon credits?;)

Advertisement