Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

cheap or no ?

Options
  • 09-06-2008 10:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭

there are 3 service stations in my locality & 1 is usually a few cents cheaper for diesel to day's price €1.43 versus €145.9 for diesel. I usually get about 570kms from a fill however with the cheaper brand i think i get about 50- 70 kms LESS.

I admit my driving varies quite a bit i.e towing, bye roads etc but has any one else noticed a difference in the return from different brands of fuel/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,902 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I've found Tescos to be something approximating dishwater generally, both petrol and diesel. Get about 50k more off the very small tank (35l!) in my car with anyone-but-tesco usually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭*Tripper*

Well you do know that Statoil trucks(in Tesco Maynooth anyway) fill up Tesco filling stations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Rory123

Well then who fills the tanks at tesco clarehall?... because I think I'd get more kmpg out of my hamster's wee wee than the diesel from there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭markos79

MYOB wrote: »
    I've found Tescos to be something approximating dishwater generally, both petrol and diesel. Get about 50k more off the very small tank (35l!) in my car with anyone-but-tesco usually.

i was told this by two taxi drivers "never get your petrol or diesel in a tesco garage cause its watered down ****e".

i took their advice.:D

*Tripper* wrote: »
    Well you do know that Statoil trucks(in Tesco Maynooth anyway) fill up Tesco filling stations.

They're Wincanton trucks. Just happen to be branded Statoil.

Amazingly, did you know that a truck can hold more than one grade or type of fuel? Thats how they manage to bring diesel there too :rolleyes: Additionally, additives, etc, can be added (or not) at the forecourt end of things during/after tank filling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

I personally find no difference between the diesel I purchase at Tesco to elsewhere - Shell, Esso, Maxol, Statoil, Applegreen, SuperU(France), Elf, Total. :)

I've got a 10 year old diesel Nissan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

They're Wincanton trucks. Just happen to be branded Statoil.

Amazingly, did you know that a truck can hold more than one grade or type of fuel? Thats how they manage to bring diesel there too :rolleyes:

Most of the big trucks have have 4 or 5 different chambers even if they were only carrying 1 type of fuel this would still be necessary cos if it was 1 big tank it would topple over when cornering at half load with about 10K gallons or whatever floating too & fro.

snowman707 wrote: »
    Most of the big trucks have have 4 or 5 different chambers even if they were only carrying 1 type of fuel this would still be necessary cos if it was 1 big tank it would topple over when cornering at half load with about 10K gallons or whatever floating too & fro.

Thats entirely possible, and sometimes the case, but completely irrelevant to my point....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

Thats entirely possible, and sometimes the case, but completely irrelevant to my point....

well if you want to follow that route, your point is completely irrelevant to the original post,

practice what you preach !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

maxols seem to be half decent....

though its the luck of the draw wherever you go except for tesco.... it is washing up liquid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

I usually fill my tank at my local Esso at weekends because they drop 2c off the price every Saturday and Sunday but recently I used Maxol to fill up and managed to get an extra 50 miles (roughly) from the same amount of petrol.

Next time I used Maxol I got an extra 40 or so miles out of it, then went back to Esso and got less than with Maxol fuel.

It's possible that it was my driving style etc during those times but i'm going to go back and forth between the two for a while to see if there is some more concrete results I can find!

Advertisement