Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Peugeot - 2000km on 1 tank!!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

2020km / 60 litres = 33.667km/litre = 2.97 l/100km = 95.103 mpg (imperial)

Must have been downhill all the way :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

On a 2000 km road with no traffic (Somewhere on the coast of Australia :D) I'd say that would be do-able. You'd have to drive the car in such a way that it was at optimum economic performance all the time, regardless of outside circumstances. squeeze the last bit of energy out of every drop. You can only do that on an empty road.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Bloody hell, the ad on TV is a bit misleading, saw it there a bit back and thought to myself that every one of these 308's must get this mileage, obviously only under extreme circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Do they even sell the 308 HDi in Australia? The Ozies are usually into their big V8 petrol engines. Have they now become PC like us Europeans?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

V8 Holden Monaros FTW..!

only milk and coke comes in 2 litres to aussies...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

I hate these claims by Manufacturers.

GF bought a 05 Astra 1.7 CDTI (100) back in February because it stated that it could do 60+ mpg on long runs. 50mpg is the best yet.

She does about 70-80mph on the motorway in a 100 mile round trip to work. If she drove at 50mph, I'd say she might come close to 55mpg.

Now Puegeot must be driving the car at 30mph on a 2000 k straight road as said above.

I would like to know under what conditions they test these cars for fuel efficiency. Does anyone know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

kluivert wrote: »
    She does about 70-80mph on the motorway in a 100 mile round trip to work.

It's not the cars fault, then. Air resistance goes up with the cube of speed, so the slower you go, the more economical you can be. There's a limit, but it's much slower than you think. You'd have to drive like a pipe-smoking hat-wearing Corolla driver to get near the ideal highway number.

The manufacturer gives 3 figures, urban, highway and combined. I usually get a bit less than the official combined figure (or a bit more in upside-down metric land).

I would like to know under what conditions they test these cars for fuel efficiency. Does anyone know?

The usual consumption figures that you see quoted in car sales brochures and magazines aren't actually taken from real driving.

They are calculated according to DIN/ISO somehwatoranother from a test run on rollers, simulating a standardised driving cycle.

It is common knowledge that they are "optimistic" to say the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,465 ✭✭✭✭Alun

The only thing those standardised consumption figures are any good for is comparing one car to another, not for getting any kind of realistic idea of what you might achieve in practice, which is highly dependant on your driving style more than anything. I've never managed to get any more than 40mpg out of anything I've ever driven over a long period, regardless of the claimed figures.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

Alun wrote: »
    The only thing those standardised consumption figures are any good for is comparing one car to another, not for getting any kind of realistic idea of what you might achieve in practice, which is highly dependant on your driving style more than anything. I've never managed to get any more than 40mpg out of anything I've ever driven over a long period, regardless of the claimed figures.

Thats why is picked that car because on comparisons with similiar cars it was the more favourable one.

Combined mpg is 55 for this car.

She drives fast and pushes it so I know myself if she drove like a granny she would achieve better figures.

Considering the mileage that she does each week, if she had a 1.4 petrol Astra, she would spend an extra 12.50e a week on the running a petrol car.

Thats only 650e a year, which means that its covers for the increase in the car tax rate but thats it.

If she took the foot off that would increase lol :D and I might have a few more pennies for pints at the weekend ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭nmacc

Zube wrote: »
    It's not the cars fault, then. Air resistance goes up with the cube of speed, so the slower you go, the more economical you can be. There's a limit, but it's much slower than you think. You'd have to drive like a pipe-smoking hat-wearing Corolla driver to get near the ideal highway number.

Not necessarily. I had a few 956cc Renault 5s over the years and I would get a pretty consistent 33-38mpg. After a while I got a notion in my head that the air resistance would kick in over 60 mph. As I say, it was a notion, I didn't do any maths to prove it.

However one day I had to bring three passengers and a load of luggage to North Mayo a really heavy load. For some odd reason I was in a mellow mood and didn't have my usual leaden foot. I kept it religiously at 55 mph all the way, barely reaching 60 for a couple of brief periods.

When we arrived I topped off the tank. I thought the pump was faulty; I'd got 56 mpg! If someone else had told me the story I wouldn't have believed it.

In more recent times I had a GTi with the trip computer and vacuum gauge. At that time work was an 80 mile round trip, so I became pretty adept at pedalling gently. I also found that anything over 60 mph would make the consumption jump. A lot harder to keep the GTi under 60 however :)

• Registered Users Posts: 65,429 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

GF bought a 05 Astra 1.7 CDTI

Uh-oh. Wrong engine. Didn't I tell ya she should get the Astra with the FIAT 1.3 diesel engine? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

unkel wrote: »
    Uh-oh. Wrong engine. Didn't I tell ya she should get the Astra with the FIAT 1.3 diesel engine? ;)
    Ya, stick veg oil in the Fiat and watch what happens. That Isuzu 1.7 is a great little engine. Plenty of poke too (for a small diesel).

Years ago Universal Honda organised a Jazz Fuel Challenge, which was reported in the national newspapers. The winner averaged 114mpg around the Wicklow mountains. I think it would have been a bit disingenuous to organise a TV advertising campaign around this one fact. Ironically it's better that Peugeot's current claims.

JHMEG wrote: »
    Ya, stick veg oil in the Fiat and watch what happens. That Isuzu 1.7 is a great little engine.

Stick veg oil in that Isuzu engine and watch what happens :p

They were very late, but even Japanese dinosaurs (is that a tautology?) like Isuzu and Honda have moved to common rail diesels too in recent years...

Stick veg oil in that Isuzu engine and watch what happens :p

They were very late, but even Japanese dinosaurs (is that a tautology?) like Isuzu and Honda have moved to common rail diesels too in recent years...
    When I was considering a diesel I was talking to a guy who had a 1.7 Zafira. He was running it on 50-50 diesel-veg oil with no problems. He had the kit fitted and is now running on 100% veg oil.

EDIT: Honda's diesels have always been direct injection.

I was talking to a guy who had a 1.7 Zafira. He was running it on 50-50 diesel-veg oil with no problems. He had the kit fitted and is now running on 100% veg oil.

I have never heard of a Zafira with the indirect injection 1.7 diesel engine. But anyway, an '05 Astra 1.7 diesel has a direct injection diesel, so best not try 50/50 ;)

I have never heard of a Zafira with the indirect injection 1.7 diesel engine.
    That's because there wasn't one. Best to speak to people who have actual experience, rather than just relying on rumours.;)

EDIT: The same guy currently has been running a diesel Galaxy for the last few years on a mix of 9 parts waste veg oil, 4 parts diesel, 2 parts petrol with no problems. I can give you his email address if you'd like to ask him for yourself.

My bad, it's actually his 1.7TD Meriva, not a Zafira. And it's waste veg oil strained to 1 micron mixed with diesel, no mods, down to 33% wvo in winter to ease starting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Oddly enough the Zafira has only just become available with a 1.7 diesel. It has 125 bhp, and replaces the 120 bhp version of the 1.9 FIAT diesel.

E92 wrote: »
    Oddly enough the Zafira has only just become available with a 1.7 diesel. It has 125 bhp, and replaces the 120 bhp version of the 1.9 FIAT diesel.
    I was editing my post as you put this up. See above.

My bad, it's actually his 1.7TD Meriva, not a Zafira

Ah ok. But the Meriva is only a few years old so that must have been a common rail too. And that guy was running 50/50 in it without any modifications? :eek:

• Advertisement

Ah ok. But the Meriva is only a few years old so that must have been a common rail too. And that guy was running 50/50 in it without any modifications? :eek:
    Yeah. It pays to ask questions.

Best to speak to people who have actual experience, rather than just relying on rumours.;)
    Yeah. It pays to ask questions.

What are you on about? I don't get it ...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,153 ✭✭✭10-10-20

I'm getting an Opel Mevira (or somewhat similar to that) hire car tomorrow for a run the to Le Mans 24hr, and I reckon I should try out the veg-oil challenge.

It can't harm the beast, it can only make her quicker. Yeah?

Hire cars are, after all, the fastest cars in the world... ;)

peasant wrote: »
    What are you on about? I don't get it ...
    Rather than going on the rumour that you heard down the pub or on an internet forum, go ask someone who has actual first hand experience.

10-10-20 wrote: »
    I'm getting an Opel Mevira (or somewhat similar to that) hire car tomorrow for a run the to Le Mans 24hr, and I reckon I should try out the veg-oil challenge.

It can't harm the beast, it can only make her quicker. Yeah?

Hire cars are, after all, the fastest cars in the world... ;)
    Be sure to let is know how you get on!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

Now Puegeot must be driving the car at 30mph on a 2000 k straight road as said above.
    Probably not. The most economical speed is about 40-50mph depending on the car (and hybrids/soft hybrids aside).
    That's because below 40mph, wind resistance starts to become negligable, and simply running all the car's systems (power steering, alternator, air conditioning, etc.) becomes the major factor.

Anecdotal evidence (watching my instantaneous mpg needle) suggests that I tend to get considerably higher mpg above 40 than below it.

Rather than going on the rumour that you heard down the pub or on an internet forum, go ask someone who has actual first hand experience.

Not sure what you're on about here :confused:

If you're still telling people it is fine to fill their direct injection Opel 1.7 diesel engines with half diesel and half veg oil, please people, do not try this as you might cause thousands worth of damage...

Not sure what you're on about here :confused:

If you're still telling people it is fine to fill their direct injection Opel 1.7 diesel engines with half diesel and half veg oil, please people, do not try this as you might cause thousands worth of damage...
    For starters unkel stop putting words in my mouth. I said no such thing. I did say I was speaking to someone who is running veg oil in a direct injection diesel.

Secondly, rather than perpetuating myths and half truths you would be better redirecting people to http://www.vegetableoildiesel.co.uk where the can speak to people who are currently running veg oil and biodiesel in direct injection diesels.

Please, no more "don't do it, it's direct injection" type stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Scottie99

I've the 05 version of this 1.6 HdI engine in my Citroen C4 and since the price increases, I've been driving up and down to Dublin from Navan at an economical speed (95). A 60 litre tank is hitting 1300kms.
    This new engine I find very hard to believe.......2000km?:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭gar32

I drive at 80km-90km for best MPG as per biult in VW digital reading. About 70mpg on the clock any time I am going down hill I put it into neutral. Foot on ready to break if needed. Going home from work last week one day I got 86mpg as a reading. I hit lights near home but still 82mpg on a 22km trip down hillish is fine with me. 64mpg going to work is best so far. If you want to save you have to start slow biulding up speed. 100km per hour tops & free wheel it when safe to do so as much as posible. Lets save money & the planet until we have electric cars :)

Advertisement