Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting into cycling

Options
  • 09-06-2008 10:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭

I would like to get into cycling. Was looking at some of the events on the Sticky and they look great. How much training would a reasonably fit individual need to take part in say a 100km race?

Can anyone recommend a good beginner bike, not too expensive, mid price range.

I'm 6'3", 90kg. What type of bike, size of frame and wheels should I be looking at? Was looking at Trek hybrid bikes in the shop on camden street over the weekend.

I live in Leitrim, there is a Cycling Ulster club, any other clubs recommended?

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

How much training would a reasonably fit individual need to take part in say a 100km race?

The following have been suggested on these boards before and may give some indication of what you may need to do.
    http://homepage.eircom.net/~tourofmayo/Training%20100%20ml.htm
    http://www.maccfund.org/trek100/riders/train.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I'm 6'3", 90kg. What type of bike, size of frame and wheels should I be looking at?

You will need a size 58 bike. I'm a shade under 6'3" and that's what I have.
    I would go for a road bike if you are interested in the events in the sticky

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

I would like to get into cycling. Was looking at some of the events on the Sticky and they look great. How much training would a reasonably fit individual need to take part in say a 100km race?

Can anyone recommend a good beginner bike, not too expensive, mid price range.

I'm 6'3", 90kg. What type of bike, size of frame and wheels should I be looking at? Was looking at Trek hybrid bikes in the shop on camden street over the weekend.

I live in Leitrim, there is a Cycling Ulster club, any other clubs recommended?

Cheers!
    Raam wrote: »
    You will need a size 58 bike. I'm a shade under 6'3" and that's what I have.
    I would go for a road bike if you are interested in the events in the sticky

I was thinking the same, I came on here a few months back looking for a good commuter bike, but would like to get a bit more serious,

what kind of equipment generally would be recommended and what (roughly) would be a reasonable starting budget... I am really just looking for info to get me started to narrow down the research required..

btw I am also around the same height/weight as
    cousin_borat and currently own a hybrid which I may be looking at selling/ trading for a road bike for this, would this be recommended? can a road bike be used as a commuter without causing injury with long term dailly use (commute isnt long, so dont imagine it would be a problem)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

km991148 wrote: »
    ...currently own a hybrid which I may be looking at selling/ trading for a road bike for this, would this be recommended?

Personally I like to keep all my bikes, but if you want to sell yours, go for it. A bike shop probably won't be interested in trading.
    can a road bike be used as a commuter without causing injury with long term dailly use (commute isnt long, so dont imagine it would be a problem)

Injury? What kind of commute do you have?! I've been commuting on a road bike for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

This is very much a 'how long is a piece of string' type question.... in general for budget, I'd say think about how much you'd be happy spending on a bike, and at the very least double it for a starting point!

If you're already reasonably fit, I'd say you could get into shape to do 100k in a couple months, but then it really depends on what 100k you want to do (if it's flat or bumpy). One way you could try if you can get to Dublin on a Sat morning is joining in on our spins -it's a nice relaxed pace, and you could get 50k or so in and see how you feel.

As for types of bike -people use all kinds, it's really what you prefer. Ken rides a flat bar hybrid (although he's now converted it to drops), as does Dub_skav, and RtD rides a mountain bike with skinny tyres, and all of them completed the W200 ahead of me on a road bike after starting at much the same time :)

I would say (and I'm no expert), that in general a flat bar hybrid will be most comfortable to get started, as you are sitting more upright thus putting less strain on your back -indeed I know guys who regularly cycle vast distances who do them all on flat barred bikes (isn't Connor, who's going round the world doing it on one?).

Really it's a case of use what you're comfortable with, and if you're unsure to begin with, I'd say look at getting a decent hybrid, and take it from there. You can do like Ken and convert to drops if you want, and then maybe move to a road bike, or just enjoy cycling without caring what you're on!

To put figures on it, for a decent hybrid I'd suggest in the region of 600 - 800euro, and easily another 200 on other kit. You'd be best off getting a good pair of bib shorts, a cycling specific jersey, base layer, gloves, shoes, pedals, good lock if commuting, helmet, possibly a pair of glasses, multi-tool, it all adds up in the end really!

• Advertisement

Personally I like to keep all my bikes, but if you want to sell yours, go for it. A bike shop probably won't be interested in trading.

I probably feel the same, but I only recently bought the hybrid and the gf will probably veto another bike lol although, prob not worth selling as its a hybrid at the lower end of the price range (an 07 specialized globe)
    Injury? What kind of commute do you have?! I've been commuting on a road bike for years.

lol - thought the 2nd part was a bit ott.. just never been on different types of bike etc, dunno how comfortable/ etc!
    This is very much a 'how long is a piece of string' type question.... in general for budget, I'd say think about how much you'd be happy spending on a bike, and at the very least double it for a starting point!

If you're already reasonably fit, I'd say you could get into shape to do 100k in a couple months, but then it really depends on what 100k you want to do (if it's flat or bumpy). One way you could try if you can get to Dublin on a Sat morning is joining in on our spins -it's a nice relaxed pace, and you could get 50k or so in and see how you feel.

As for types of bike -people use all kinds, it's really what you prefer. Ken rides a flat bar hybrid (although he's now converted it to drops), as does Dub_skav, and RtD rides a mountain bike with skinny tyres, and all of them completed the W200 ahead of me on a road bike after starting at much the same time :)

I would say (and I'm no expert), that in general a flat bar hybrid will be most comfortable to get started, as you are sitting more upright thus putting less strain on your back -indeed I know guys who regularly cycle vast distances who do them all on flat barred bikes (isn't Connor, who's going round the world doing it on one?).

Really it's a case of use what you're comfortable with, and if you're unsure to begin with, I'd say look at getting a decent hybrid, and take it from there. You can do like Ken and convert to drops if you want, and then maybe move to a road bike, or just enjoy cycling without caring what you're on!

To put figures on it, for a decent hybrid I'd suggest in the region of 600 - 800euro, and easily another 200 on other kit. You'd be best off getting a good pair of bib shorts, a cycling specific jersey, base layer, gloves, shoes, pedals, good lock if commuting, helmet, possibly a pair of glasses, multi-tool, it all adds up in the end really!

thanks for a long answer to a piece of string q! I was just looking for a jumping off point on what to look for hence the vagueness (sorry!), I just seen the op post and tagged on without having looked into it..

would you say its worth converting my globe in the way you suggest, or is it a crappy bike to be starting with (when I bought it I was on a real tight budget and at the time it seemed to represent good value based on my little knowledge). I wont be getting too serious into it, I just wanna get into something to keep me fit and it seems enjoyable (esp if this weather lasts!)

what else can I do, i.e. would it be worth changing wheels/tyres/drive or would I prob not notice much difference..
    compared to other people commuting I think I get up to good speeds with whats on the bike aready

EDIT- sorry I meant to ask, do hybrids generally come with flat bars, or is flat bar lower than standard hybrid bars, but higher than drop bar..

i.e. I am aware of terms flat bar and drop bar, but what other types are there...

can you tell I'm at the pre-novice level lol!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

would you say its worth converting my globe in the way you suggest, or is it a crappy bike to be starting with (when I bought it I was on a real tight budget and at the time it seemed to represent good value based on my little knowledge). I wont be getting too serious into it, I just wanna get into something to keep me fit and it seems enjoyable (esp if this weather lasts!)

what else can I do, i.e. would it be worth changing wheels/tyres/drive or would I prob not notice much difference..
    compared to other people commuting I think I get up to good speeds with whats on the bike aready

EDIT- sorry I meant to ask, do hybrids generally come with flat bars, or is flat bar lower than standard hybrid bars, but higher than drop bar..

i.e. I am aware of terms flat bar and drop bar, but what other types are there...

can you tell I'm at the pre-novice level lol!

I'm not all that familiar with the Globe, but if it's comfortable, and you're happy with it, I'd suggest sticking with it for a while, increase your fitness, and then you can make a slightly more informed choice. I would say that you may get some improvement putting on some narrower 'slick' tyres -something like Armadillos or Gatorskins -going down to a 25mm from the stock 42's will make it feel much sportier, (just go into a lbs -local bike store and ask for a set of 700x25 tyres) 700mm is the diameter of the wheel, 25mm is the width (road bikes tens to be 19-23 or 25 in width).

Start with new tyres, then maybe try going to drops, but more than anything enjoy cycling!

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭mossieh

I probably feel the same, but I only recently bought the hybrid and the gf will probably veto another bike lol although, prob not worth selling as its a hybrid at the lower end of the price range (an 07 specialized globe)

I have the same bike KM, I think it's a great all-rounder, I use it for an eight mile commute every day, won't be changing it any time soon. A happy compromise between comfort and weight.

hey, thanks all, and sorry for crashing another thread!

think I will go for smaller tyres for that 'sportier' feel and leave everything else until I have greater funds/fitness!

mossieh wrote: »
    I have the same bike KM, I think it's a great all-rounder, I use it for an eight mile commute every day, won't be changing it any time soon. A happy compromise between comfort and weight.

yep about that - I am happy with the bike also (after initial teething probs due to the setup of the bike from original supplier) but figured it must be basic compared to the prices being quoted by others for an entry hybrid, even although it seemed to be a higher spec that other manufacturers basic models;

km

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Converting doesn't generally work great, I have done it myself and was happy to have done but it can cost a fair bit - STI shifters are expensive and you often have to change the brakes too (V Brakes are not generally compatible.) The front derailleurs on even flat bar road bikes are often flat bar specific and don't work great with STIs either.

The conversion is also unlikely to be as light etc. as a proper race bike, even an entry level one (my own conversion was a Specialized Sirrus Elite with 105 components, a Trek 1000 with Sora would still have been a lot lighter/faster.)

I would keep your existing hybrid as is and look for a second hand entry level racer as your introduction. Budget €300-400, look for a Trek 1000, Giant SCR3, etc. If you end up happy with that, sell the hybrid, if not you can always go back to it.

EDIT: I do almost all my cycling on drops these days including commuting. I don't know where you would be expecting the injury! I have a hack flat bar for around town but this is only to have something that is less likely to be stolen, not because the flat bars are any particular advantage.

HOWEVER with drops fit is much more important than with flat bars and it is critical that you get it right, I cycled a flat bar for many many years and tried a race bike without success before I finally got it right and was comfortable. It's not entirely the bars, race bikes have a different geometry too and you are generally pushed forward much more than a typical flat bar bike, balancing your weight between bars and pedals rather than sitting on a seat as you would be more on a flat bar hybrid.

Advertisement