Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

locations & gear

Options
  • 09-06-2008 11:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

my son (5) wants to go fishing and I haven't gone since I was about 10 myself so I'm lost about where I can fish & what gear to get.

I'm living near blarney (cork) so would like somewhere close & easy to get to. I also dont want to spend a huge amount of money as I doubt either of us will keep it up long term.

do I need a licenses or anything?

any & all ideas welcome.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭flanum

i cant help with regards cork area, but im sure some corkonians will be along shortly.

i think if its a success for you and your son, ye may just rediscover what fun it is, and actually take it up again!

tight lines!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

sea or freshwater ?

if its sea, you're spoilt for choice over the summer if you want a wee bit of excitemet mackeral fishing, cobh, ardmore, youghal, kinsale, ballycotton etc are all easily accessible although they tend to be packed with lunatics most evenings, if you can find a quite spot and get a cheap spinning rod a few sets of feathers you'll be fine. Admittedly, a lot of the youngsters and many of our eastern european friends are a bit lax when it comes to basic safety and fishing :( but why take a drive down to cobh and get a feel for whats going on,

thinking about it, a five year old on a deepwater pier may not be the greatest idea unless you can glue him to the quay, sadly a lot of the beachfishing for flatfish bass etc. requires more gear, getting bait, more expense and a lot less chance of getting a fish :-(

fresh water , go for one of the stocked lakes , there's a big complex up by mallow in an old quarry and i think theres another just outside of youghal on the ardmore side, and you can't help but catch a fish in these places (but you pay for whatever you keep, they'll usually rent you the rods, so the expense would be minimal-ish).

pop into the cork angling centre out by the kinsale road or the fishing and hunting place in the middle of patrick st., murrays and the lads there will give you some advice whichever way.

Advertisement