Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fastest netcafe in Cork city?

Options
  • 09-06-2008 11:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭

Hi all,

I recently started using netcafes again after a year or so for downloading/uploading cause I only have the O2 Mobile broadband at home...only 10Gig limit. Due to the apartment and the fact that I am moving in two months time there is no point getting broadband at home.

The thing is so far Wired To The World and Area 51 both on North Main St have been pathetic:

Upload speed averaged between 30Kb and 70Kb
    Download speed averaged between 80Kb and 250Kb

Surely netcafes should be faster than that....bare in mind I was in Area 51 on sunday morning and the place was empty:confused:

1) What is the fastest netcafe in CorK?

2) Do Area 51 throttle back the bandwidth to the PC's at the front of the shop and give more bandwidth to the Gaming PC's down the back?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭SQDD

UCC's where it's at :D

Corks hub to the net, you'll have to be a student to take advantage of it tho! Yeah you're right, most of the net cafes around town are pure crap for downloading, they're almost certainly capped.

What ya downloading?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭hideous ape

I upload/download a lot using Rapidshare.
    It just struck me how poor the networks were. I think netcafes should be providing a service faster than any home service, not slower than even my O2 Mobile Broadband!
    I'll give webworkhouse a shot...haven't been there in ages.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Aren't all the netcafes on DSL lines anyway, and then contended internally?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Hi all,

I recently started using netcafes again after a year or so for downloading/uploading cause I only have the O2 Mobile broadband at home...only 10Gig limit. Due to the apartment and the fact that I am moving in two months time there is no point getting broadband at home.

The thing is so far Wired To The World and Area 51 both on North Main St have been pathetic:

Upload speed averaged between 30Kb and 70Kb
    Download speed averaged between 80Kb and 250Kb

Surely netcafes should be faster than that....bare in mind I was in Area 51 on sunday morning and the place was empty:confused:

1) What is the fastest netcafe in CorK?

2) Do Area 51 throttle back the bandwidth to the PC's at the front of the shop and give more bandwidth to the Gaming PC's down the back?

Netcafes always throttle torrents as they can saturate your uplink ...
    If you need Linux Distros that badly then get them sent on CD

• Advertisement

craichoe wrote: »
    Netcafes always throttle torrents as they can saturate your uplink ...
    If you need Linux Distros that badly then get them sent on CD

Eh:confused: I didn't say anything about Linux and have no interest in it whatsoever.

I download movies, games and music from Rapidshare using a premium account login. I usually use a portable version of Internet Download Manager running from a USB HD but only download/upload one file at a time to avoid using up too much bandwidth.

Rapidshare is not a torrent site, it doesn't have anything to do with torrents...simply a series of servers that you log into to download stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Eh:confused: I didn't say anything about Linux and have no interest in it whatsoever.

I download movies, games and music from Rapidshare using a premium account login. I usually use a portable version of Internet Download Manager running from a USB HD but only download/upload one file at a time to avoid using up too much bandwidth.

Rapidshare is not a torrent site, it doesn't have anything to do with torrents...simply a series of servers that you log into to download stuff.

LMAO...I believe linux distros was mentioned to avoid mentioning "illegal" downloading...and then you went off and did it anyway :D

Doh:o

Boards is a great forum but after certain legal proceedings has become too PC...I am so used to posting on other forums where pretty much anything goes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭AFC_1903

Hey Ape, did you give Surf City at the bottom of Barrack St a shot as I suggested before? Don't bother when it's busy (evenings/weekend aftenoons) as the number of people in watching youtube etc is too high and it becomes s-l-o-w. Not to mention that there'll be kids in there wrecking your head! Weekday's should be good though, and at 1 euro an hour you can't go far wrong!

Also, and I said it before, and i'll say it again - 'You're a fool!' :p

You should have mentioned that it was free licence movies transferred from the Internet Archive, as well as freeware games and free promo music that you're interested in!;) RS is merely being used to help free the Archive's servers from stress, when people realise that great movies like Reefer Madness can be found there for free and legal! Reefer Madness movie DL (on Archive) is even linked to from the Wikipedia page about it!

(And we all know that you're upping the music you created, as well as videos/movies of you dancing in your old-man style!) :pac::D:pac:

Nyarrr!

:D :longjohnsilversmiley: :D

Quiet you...get back to work creating viruses and leave my old-man dancing style alone:p

Will try Surf City later today.

• Advertisement
Advertisement