Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Toyota Lexus

Options
  • 09-06-2008 11:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭

Anyone get the news there. They were talking about a accident saying one of the cars was a "Black Toyota Lexus" lol

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Yeah saw that. Was trying to find a thread I coiuld shoehorn it into.

Anyway, the secrets out now.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,231 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

If they were appealing for witnesses I could understand it.

Not many people who aren't interested in cars could tell the difference between a Toyota Altezza and a Lexus IS200.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,152 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Well Toyota do make Lexus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭markos79

it was the new shape lexus is250 not the altezza shape.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Vertakill

Am I missing something here? :confused:

I wouldn't go around saying 'Toyota Lexus' but it's not entirely incorrect. Lexus just being Toyota, but with luxury.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭maidhc

Vertakill wrote: »
    Am I missing something here? :confused:

I wouldn't go around saying 'Toyota Lexus' but it's not entirely incorrect. Lexus just being Toyota, but with luxury.

I read a garda report of an accident before which involved a white "Hyundai Toyota"!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

Next they'll be saying the veh-ickle in question was a Volkswagen Skoda...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

Sounds like boggo-Garda-speak.
    Sure isn't there only 3 makes of car - Volkwagen, Toyota & Massey-Ferguson...

I do feel a bit bad joking about this though - seemed a pretty horrific accident - head on... Sympathy for the families:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Not really. Accountants are one thing, mechanics and operaters are another.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭sk8board

I saw that alright on six-one. Its very rare to see one involved in a fatal accident.

I figured that calling it an Lexus "IS-250" was a bit much for 6 o clock in the evening :) It doesn't quick roll of the tongue like the other car involved, think it was a citroen or something like that, which everyone is familiar with. A 'Lexus IS250' sounds more like a new watch or a CPU perhaps.

The lexus stood up well to the massive full-frontal impact. Both passengers were seriously injured, which gives an idea of the energy involved.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/elderly-couple-killed-in-headon-collision-1403748.html

EDIT: apologies for posting a pic of the accident; but as its a motors chatboard, I figured its no harm people see what can happen to even the safest cars

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

You'll find that the Landcruiser is sold as Toyota in Europe & Lexus in the States. Lexus ARE made by Toyota, they are one in the same thing. Did you ever compare the interior of an RX with a Landcruiser? Identical in many respects.
    Same story with Nissan & Infinity. It's Toyota & Nissan's way of entering the premium market. They probably felt that they woudlnot be able to enter that market without resorting to a new brand.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Won't be buying a Citroën C3 anytime soon anyway. Broken leg in the Lexus....and that's all it mentions:eek::eek:

You'll find that the Landcruiser is sold as Toyota in Europe & Lexus in the States. Lexus ARE made by Toyota, they are one in the same thing. Did you ever compare the interior of an RX with a Landcruiser? Identical in many respects.
    Same story with Nissan & Infinity. It's Toyota & Nissan's way of entering the premium market. They probably felt that they woudlnot be able to enter that market without resorting to a new brand.

The guys working on the Avensis don't work on the IS. Similarly, the guys working on the Superb don't work on the A4. The LS is hardly a Toyota, regardless of parent companies in the same way that a Fabia isn't a Porsche.
    (Don't Porsche AG own a majority share in VW now?)

ninty9er wrote: »
    Won't be buying a Citroën C3 anytime soon anyway. Broken leg in the Lexus....and that's all it mentions:eek::eek:

The Citroen is fairly mangled alright, although you can't really tell by the result of an accident how the colission actually happened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

Biro wrote: »
    The guys working on the Avensis don't work on the IS.

Really? They have two seperate lines building the very same diesel engine for the IS and Avensis?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭G Luxel

What was originally sold as lexus around the world between 1989-2005 was essentially the JDM model such as

LS400/430 - Toyota Celsior
    ES300 - Toyota Windom
    SC200 - Toyota Soarer
    IS - Altezza or Sportwagen - Gita

cant think of the landcruiser in lexus guise

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

G Luxel wrote: »

The Landcruiser Amazon is called the Lexus LX470 in the USA, and the Landcruiser Colorado/Prado is called the Lexus GX470.

Zube wrote: »
    Really? They have two seperate lines building the very same diesel engine for the IS and Avensis?

The block is the same, the running gear is different. And there is more to a pristige car than it's engine!
    Would you tell someone with a new Astra 1.3 diesel "Oi, nice Panda"

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Zube wrote: »

2.2 Diesel engine is built in the same factory alright but Lexus are rwd and built in their own factories in Japan. The Avensis is built in the UK and is fwd.

Incidently Audi share more componants with VWs and Skodas these days than Lexus do with Toyotas but people don't seem to mention VW Audi like they do Toyota Lexus. Are the Germans just better at pulling the wool over people's eyes than the Japs when it comes to dressing the same product up in a nicer clothes?

Anyway this has gone way off original topic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

Would you tell someone with a new Astra 1.3 diesel "Oi, nice Panda"
    I'd rather have the Panda and the €8K change, myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

The Citroen is fairly mangled alright, although you can't really tell by the result of an accident how the colission actually happened.

The Citroën pulled out from a petrol staion on a national primary route and was hit on the front wing (from what my dad heard passing that way today.)

RIP the dead people actually while I'm here.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,429 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

The Citroën pulled out from a petrol staion on a national primary route and was hit on the front wing

I don't want to speculate, but if that's true - what a tragic loss of life caused (as almost always) by driver error :(

The Citroën pulled out from a petrol staion on a national primary route and was hit on the front wing (from what my dad heard passing that way today.)

RIP the dead people actually while I'm here.

RIP to the couple, forgot to mention that.
    Ya, that'd make more sense, a kind of side on collision would be worse alright, probably explains why it turned over.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

G Luxel wrote: »
    What was originally sold as lexus around the world between 1989-2005 was essentially the JDM model such as

LS400/430 - Toyota Celsior
    ES300 - Toyota Windom
    SC200 - Toyota Soarer
    IS - Altezza or Sportwagen - Gita

Also, GS was the Toyota Aristo and RX is the Toyota Harrier.
    2.2 Diesel engine is built in the same factory alright but Lexus are rwd and built in their own factories in Japan
    They're still built in factories alongside other Toyota models. There's no Lexus-specific factory. Most come from their Tahara plant, which the Land Cruiser Prado (the smaller ones more common here) and RAV4 among others are also built. More info here: http://www.toyota.co.jp/en/about_toyota/manufacturing/ (Japan specific but AFAIK all the Lexuseseses we get are built there).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

yes, toyota exports many cars around the world under the lexus badge, there all up market cars ( lexus = Luxury Exports to the United States )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

Used to love asking my old boss how his Toyota was going when he bought a Lexus. He kept insisting it was not a Toyota. I dont think he ever believed me that it was.

Never understood why he got so worked up about it in any case.

Advertisement