Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Look at the bigger picture and vote no to lisbon

Options
  • 10-06-2008 12:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 832 ✭✭✭

It's all about control, a small number of very powerful individuals and companies (especially energy and finance related) taking even more power off the hands of the public inregards to laws and budgets in all fields of decision making. The real/big decisions will only be influenced by the few, rather than the plenty. This would be nothing less than a dictatorship, certainly far from democracy. Looking at the kind of means the EU has been using to force this threaty on already EU engaged countries, europe will be a federal police state like the USA. The same way the UK has been drifting for a long time now.

I'm sorry to be this harsh, but please wake up and realise what's going on. Don't take my word for it, do your own research and you will be enlightened. Besides many millions of people in the EU alone already understand and are of the same opinion, the very same as in america. Unfortunatly ignoring this global crises is not going to stop the power going in one direction, the hands of the real owners of the "western world" (inclucing all democratic countries that have stopped listening to the public opinion and insted simply make their own decisions). Think about it, how much money/power has already been taken away from the public in the past decades.

Here in Ireland, we've sold our souls to the economy a long time ago and the majority of the ordinary people in this country are already in a lot of debt. Especially with the "boom" having ended, the economic value dropping futher in the next years and now the lisbon threaty insuring a steady fall. How are people going to repay their morgages and loans when all those hugh clearly profit driven companies are going to move the another location.

Sit back and watch it happen, because the people at present already don't have the power to do something about it any more and i'm talking about all the bigger countries. Fortunatly, the Irish still have this one choice, after that it will slowly but surely drift towards the people not having the power to influence the decision-makers any more and "they" will turn the place into a fully controlled police state.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

pyrogenx wrote: »
    Think about it, how much money/power has already been taken away from the public in the past decades.

To be honest most people in Ireland have made more money in the past decades and through better education have gained the ability to think for themselves giving them more power. You yourself are proving that point by taking a position that is against the establishment something that would have been a source of ridicule a few decades ago. Although when you give people the power to think for themselves some are bound to have skewed thought processes another thing you yourself managed to prove.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Daftendirekt

In before lock.

I wish people would stop talking about this treaty like it's a big conspiracy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭ateam

pyrogenx wrote: »
    It's all about control, a small number of very powerful individuals and companies (especially energy and finance related) taking even more power off the hands of the public inregards to laws and budgets in all fields of decision making. The real/big decisions will only be influenced by the few, rather than the plenty. This would be nothing less than a dictatorship, certainly far from democracy. Looking at the kind of means the EU has been using to force this threaty on already EU engaged countries, europe will be a federal police state like the USA. The same way the UK has been drifting for a long time now.

I'm sorry to be this harsh, but please wake up and realise what's going on. Don't take my word for it, do your own research and you will be enlightened. Besides many millions of people in the EU alone already understand and are of the same opinion, the very same as in america. Unfortunatly ignoring this global crises is not going to stop the power going in one direction, the hands of the real owners of the "western world" (inclucing all democratic countries that have stopped listening to the public opinion and insted simply make their own decisions). Think about it, how much money/power has already been taken away from the public in the past decades.

Here in Ireland, we've sold our souls to the economy a long time ago and the majority of the ordinary people in this country are already in a lot of debt. Especially with the "boom" having ended, the economic value dropping futher in the next years and now the lisbon threaty insuring a steady fall. How are people going to repay their morgages and loans when all those hugh clearly profit driven companies are going to move the another location.

Sit back and watch it happen, because the people at present already don't have the power to do something about it any more and i'm talking about all the bigger countries. Fortunatly, the Irish still have this one choice, after that it will slowly but surely drift towards the people not having the power to influence the decision-makers any more and "they" will turn the place into a fully controlled police state.

Let's pack it in. No point living if there's a Yes vote

• Closed Accounts Posts: 832 ✭✭✭pyrogenx

sink wrote: »
    To be honest most people in Ireland have made more money in the past decades and through better education have gained the ability to think for themselves giving them more power. You yourself are proving that point by taking a position that is against the establishment something that would have been a source of ridicule a few decades ago. Although when you give people the power to think for themselves some are bound to have skewed thought processes another thing you yourself managed to prove.

I see your point and i agree. It has brought us a lot of "good", but all i'm saying is that the lisbon threaty is not a step towards better democracy because it essentially allows the fewer elite to take more control from the masses. Lets say, the lisbon threaty will not be exploited by future EU decision makers, i would take everything back and support. However it is quite obiously designed in a vague mannor, which will enable it to be used against the people's voice.

As for Ireland, I guess the time has come to repay our debt by giving up (a little more every time) of our rights in the coming years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 832 ✭✭✭pyrogenx

ateam wrote: »
    Let's pack it in. No point living if there's a Yes vote

Well, the threaty certainly won't make it any easier on us. :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement