Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Talking about the "New" style of Discussion

Options
  • 10-06-2008 1:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭

maybe this is the wrong place to say this but my frustration with the fact that this is more like a chat room than a forum .. i will probably get an infraction for saying this but i am not surprised the last two mods left due to nonsense posting. and i know this because i am very friendly with basquille..
    this used to be a great opinions and facts forum but has degenerated badly in my opinion .. for what its worth.
    please mods try and get it back to where it was

Note: Sligored did not start this thread, but I felt this was as good a time as any to have a discussion about what many percieve to be a "changed" board over the past few months. Which is not to say that I intend to attempt to change it back. (Xiney)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Sligored wrote: »
    moved from the book forum
    maybe this is the wrong place to say this but my frustration with the fact that this is more like a chat room than a forum

Is the scroll wheel broke on your mouse? if there is a thread you don't want to participate in here then just roll that wheel on down to the next one
    .. i will probably get an infraction for saying this but i am not surprised the last two mods left due to nonsense posting. and i know this because i am very friendly with basquille..

The Internet .... serious business.

this used to be a great opinions and facts forum but has degenerated badly in my opinion .. for what its worth.

When, way back in the good old days of seven months ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

The Internet .... serious business.

In fairness, he does know him in real life :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭takola

maybe this is the wrong place to say this but my frustration with the fact that this is more like a chat room than a forum .. i will probably get an infraction for saying this but i am not surprised the last two mods left due to nonsense posting. and i know this because i am very friendly with basquille..

You're right, This is not the correct place to discuss this.

First of all I would advise against you using mufflers and basquille's leaving to add to your point as neither of them are around to back you up at the moment. Also neither of them have mentioned (that I am aware of) anywhere in the forum why they've stopped modding so what you're saying there doesn't count.

I'm going to make this clear. The Sligo forum is to be used to discuss things related to Sligo. If people in Sligo want to create a book club then they have every right to do so and every right to post it in the Sligo forum. We will ask that all discussion of the book club be kept to this one thread. That is all!

Sligored it's not up to you to tell either myself or Xiney how to run the forum. If you don't like what is going on in here then I'm(we're I'm sure) sorry you feel that way. We will do our best to keep the forum as friendly and well run as possible, We won't let threads run off-topic and we will uphold the charter rules.

I'm issuing you with a warning for back seat modding. Any further off-topic posts will result in bannings.

Edit: Ok now this is the correct place to post about stuff. Sorry for modding you, fellow moderator. (Xiney)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Xiney wrote: »
    In fairness, he does know him in real life :P

With respect, whether a topic is nonsence or not can be subjective. If a group of people in a community want to organise a book clubg then why should they not be allowed to do so. It can't be described as nonsence by those who are not interested if members of the group want to be sociable .

If he is not interested that is his business, he can either move onto a different subject or start a topic of his own. no sence in cursing the darkness without first lighting a candle ... or so they say.

And I agree with you there.

Ah, these threads have all gone a bit mad. Methinks I shall have to do a bit of moving.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Sligored

guys - i dont want to cause ye hassle but having read through the full new mods thread i think that there is room for improvement.
    call it constructive criticism if ye want.
    i know being mod is a hard and thankless job and i wish ye all the best

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

guys - i dont want to cause ye hassle but having read through the full new mods thread i think that there is room for improvement.
    call it constructive criticism if ye want.
    i know being mod is a hard and thankless job and i wish ye all the best

How can it be improved? Saying it can be improved accomplishes nothing, giving examples of how could lead to changes.

Exactly.

I'm curious now Sligored. What would you have us change?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

i like they way the sligo forum has changed. it's very friendly and informative. I'm used to the galway forum with all its associated messing :D and i find the sligo is a lot better place now than it was when it started.

keep up the good work everyone!

My view is this (and feel free to take it or leave it, but I am one of the Sligo mods now [flexes muscle])

We've become a more chatty group. In fact, there's a definite "group"iness to the Sligo board.

This could have been a bad thing, a "clique" effect. However, we've had a few newish posters (new to us anyway) start posting here recently and they've been treated like any other member of the group, their posts commented on and appreciated for what they are. So I don't think we've got a clique problem as of right now at all, and believe me, there are some clique problems on boards.

In fact, I think the chattiness has improved the boards in many ways: we have regular posters here now, which means questions get answered and local issues get discussed by more people faster. There's more of a reason to post here because we know someone will reply. It's a community board, and it has to be built by its community. Whatever direction it goes is the one the community wants it to.

Of course takola and I will keep you all in line, no strictly nonsense posts allowed. But if a question has been outright answered, or if new mods have been congratulated ad nauseum (just kidding, love you all really) and we can say that a thread has served its purpose, it's alright (imo) if that thread then degenerates into a little bit of off topic chit chat. I say a little bit - these things usually peter out and that's fine. If it's starting to get out of hand (ie, if people are coming in to post nonsense in some thread that served its purpose a week and 11 pages ago we'll put a stop to it - probably before it gets to 11 pages)

Alright so it's still going to be all very subjective, but the moral of the story is, use your common sense. People without common sense are at a distinct disadvantage, of course, but I have no pity. None!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Big_Mac

Note: Sligored did not start this thread, but I felt this was as good a time as any to have a discussion about what many percieve to be a "changed" board over the past few months. Which is not to say that I intend to attempt to change it back. (Xiney)

I'm confused. The dictionary definition of Forum is:

1.the marketplace or public square of an ancient Roman city, the center of judicial and business affairs and a place of assembly for the people. 2.a court or tribunal: the forum of public opinion. 3.an assembly, meeting place, television program, etc., for the discussion of questions of public interest. 4.the Forum, the forum in the ancient city of Rome

Definition of Chat room:

a branch of a computer network in which participants can engage in real-time discussions with one another.

I am of the opinion that the discussion of questions in the public interest and a computer network in which participants can engage in real-time disucssions with one another are near enough the same thing. This being a Sligo forum, it contains discussions and opionions based on and around sligo, so I'm not so sure what you're on about Sligored

If you are unhappy with the threads here, perhaps you could open one on a more 'appropriate' topic of conversation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Madge

Xiney wrote: »
    My view is this (and feel free to take it or leave it, but I am one of the Sligo mods now [flexes muscle])

We've become a more chatty group. In fact, there's a definite "group"iness to the Sligo board.
    This could have been a bad thing, a "clique" effect. However, we've had a few newish posters (new to us anyway) start posting here recently and they've been treated like any other member of the group, their posts commented on and appreciated for what they are. So I don't think we've got a clique problem as of right now at all, and believe me, there are some clique problems on boards.

In fact, I think the chattiness has improved the boards in many ways: we have regular posters here now, which means questions get answered and local issues get discussed by more people faster. There's more of a reason to post here because we know someone will reply. It's a community board, and it has to be built by its community. Whatever direction it goes is the one the community wants it to.
    Of course takola and I will keep you all in line, no strictly nonsense posts allowed. But if a question has been outright answered, or if new mods have been congratulated ad nauseum (just kidding, love you all really) and we can say that a thread has served its purpose, it's alright (imo) if that thread then degenerates into a little bit of off topic chit chat. I say a little bit - these things usually peter out and that's fine. If it's starting to get out of hand (ie, if people are coming in to post nonsense in some thread that served its purpose a week and 11 pages ago we'll put a stop to it - probably before it gets to 11 pages)
    Alright so it's still going to be all very subjective, but the moral of the story is, use your common sense. People without common sense are at a distinct disadvantage, of course, but I have no pity. None!

Well said Xiney. I think the Sligo forum here is fine, as long as things are discussed pertaining to Sligo and that includes a Sligo bookclub :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭elshambo

maybe this is the wrong place to say this but my frustration with the fact that this is more like a chat room than a forum

Its a lot better than it was this time last year where you couldnt say boo without getting barred .............................. and a lot of people I know still dont post here because of that.
    However, for example: the Sligo Rovers tread is filled with people having a stream of (in)jokes about what they would wear/the effect they would have on the lads if they went on a rovers away trip
    Very annoying to try and read!

Somewhere in the middle me thinks!?

Re: The sligo rovers thread

In between games, there's a bit of nonsense that goes on, because how much can you really discuss the rovers between games? A bit of pre and after match analysis but other than that keep the thread up there and active I say. Reminds people to support their club when the next match is on, having it on the front page like that.

Scroll mice - they're a wonder of technology ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭Mrs.T

Isn't this the second time you've tried to spoil topics?...... sigh!! Unless you're a mod, if you're not interested in a particular thread, you really don't need to go there.
    Personally, I like the light hearted banter that goes on here and I certainly get great answers to my questions.
    There's not enough laughter in the world - keep the Sligo boards humour is what I say!!! :D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Cheeky Munky

Personally, I like the light hearted banter that goes on here and I certainly get great answers to my questions.
    There's not enough laughter in the world - keep the Sligo boards humour is what I say!!! :D:D:D:D[/QUOTE]

I agree with Mrs T - as a long time lurker here I enjoy reading all the posts on here and the fact that everyone is so friendly and humorous - unlike on other forums

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

I think I know where Sligored is coming from in fairness, in some ways the Sligo forum is not like other forums on boards.ie.

In saying that though, I think that is usually a good thing. Like a lot of people have been saying, the Sligo forum does seem to have a friendly vibe about it and it has regular posters without being clickish which is also a good thing. There are rarely heated arguments amongst the posters here and the friendly banter can be a good laugh too.

I think if a topic has a serious nature, the banter doesn't usually enter the equation and the discussion takes on a more serious tone which is natural enough but if the topic is not serious then I don't see the harm in a bit of joking and off topic posting!

I agree with Mrs T - as a long time lurker here I enjoy reading all the posts on here and the fact that everyone is so friendly and humorous - unlike on other forums

Nice to meet you, hopefully ex-lurker :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

I didn't want to post on this because quite frankly, I think its BS.

My opinion on this (stop yawning) has been stated before. It is a discussion board, we can discuss things. I really, honestly don't get the problem. There is certainly no clique, there is certainly no personal vendettas, there is no undercurrent of exclusivity, it is a nice, pleasant board to come have a read, post a point of view, and not expect personal abuse afterwards.

I just don't get the problem? Is there one in fact?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

This has to be one of the easiest forums to moderate on boards.
    It was over moderated before, but is grand now.

It's the interweb ffs, not a funeral. We supposed to have a bit of craic.

Actually, speaking off being off topic, where StarBelgrade this weather?

• Advertisement

Culchie wrote: »

Actually, speaking off being off topic, where StarBelgrade this weather?

I knew something/one was missing! :D

takola wrote: »
    I knew something/one was missing! :D

I find he's a bit like period pains, short, sharp and nasty, then disappears till the next month.

Totally off topic, but I couldn't resist! Sorry OP, you can huff and puff now about me!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭darealtulip

I dont understand the problem, if you dont like a thread your free to click it away!!! I like the boards the way it is. I look forward to read the threads every morning and have a good giggle, dont think anyone is taking the mick with anyone and I think everyone is welcomed. You are free to go to the other boards if you dont like the sligo one. I think a lot of people like enjoy it. A lot of people are regulars without shutting new people out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

I actually agree with Sligored.

I don't post here as often as I used to because a lot of the threads either don't interest me or just look like nonsense.

That said it is another posters right to start a thread on whatever he/she wishes.

So yeah either use the scroll wheel or don't click on the topics that don't interest you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

As long people get answers to their questions then there's no problem imo. After that its a matter of personal preferances and styles of discussion.
    Posted via Mobile Device

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭darealtulip

elshambo wrote: »
    Its a lot better than it was this time last year where you couldnt say boo without getting barred .............................. and a lot of people I know still dont post here because of that.
    However, for example: the Sligo Rovers tread is filled with people having a stream of (in)jokes about what they would wear/the effect they would have on the lads if they went on a rovers away trip
    Very annoying to try and read!

Somewhere in the middle me thinks!?

That was just a bit of banter and joking between the girls meant to annoy us boys (and it worked!!) The thread also informs you when busses are going and what time, gareth always writes a bit after the match and we always have a prediction before the match.

I really think that that thread was managed brilliantly, it went on for a few posts and when you take a look now its still on topic and at this moment serious with the dead of johnny.

This particular thread is the example of people going on thread and are taking the mick when they can and stop it when not.

The sligo thread is the biggest non sticky thread, there must be something right.

Just keep it the way it is, there is something for every one and we always post if we want to find thing out and usually have an answer within an hour!!

Gillie wrote: »
    I actually agree with Sligored.

I don't post here as often as I used to because a lot of the threads either don't interest me or just look like nonsense.

That said it is another posters right to start a thread on whatever he/she wishes.

So yeah either use the scroll wheel or don't click on the topics that don't interest you.

Thats a change I don't like.

I miss your posts with news from all the local papers.

sueme wrote: »
    Thats a change I don't like.

I miss your posts with news from all the local papers.

Cheers for that.:o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

I miss you too Gilly.

I do think this forum was over moderated in the past.

I like the chatty easy feeling of it now, at times it can go right off topic, but the mods are new and in my opinion its better to be more easy going then too strict.

• Advertisement

I guess I just need that regimented prison style discipline!:D

Advertisement