Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I upgrade ?

Options
  • 10-06-2008 1:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭

Hi Lads,
    Quick question, I have eircom 1meg connection, im about 4-5Km from the exchange. And im wondering can I get the 2meg instead, as its only like 5 euro more.

but i rarely, if ever, get the full 1meg as it is:

Downstream Upstream
    Rate (Kbps) : 576 128
    SNR Margin (dB) : 19.1 23.0
    Attenuation (dB) : 44.0 25.0

seems to average at around 500-750Kb/s

Its been awhile since ive looked into what the broadband state is in Ireland, but when I got broadband (about 3 years ago) it was right at the limit of the exchange.
    So should I count my blessings that I have broadband or atleast see if I can get better?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

If you're not even getting the full 1Mb then it would be a waste going any higher as your line won't be able to handle it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

If you're not even getting the full 1Mb then it would be a waste going any higher as your line won't be able to handle it.
    yeah was thinking that...
    just hoping :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Your line stats don't look too bad though and should be well capable of a solid 1 meg.
    Check your internal wiring first and make sure there is no dodgy joint or extension. Then read the FAQ and try to track down the problem.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=54381143&postcount=6

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Could you also do this and post what you find here:

Reset your modem. Check your stats 10 minutes after you restart the modem. Post all the stats, including the CRC numbers for the upload and download. Thanks.

Lines normally connect at 2mbit (with disconnections every so often) with an attenuation of 60/33 roughly. That line has plenty of room for extra speed, so it might just be a case of the modem being glitchy or eircom have set the line speed wrong. I'll know more when I see the new set of stats.

ok
    kaizersoze wrote: »
    Your line stats don't look too bad though and should be well capable of a solid 1 meg.
    Check your internal wiring first and make sure there is no dodgy joint or extension. Then read the FAQ and try to track down the problem.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=54381143&postcount=6

your a genius
    Could you also do this and post what you find here:

Reset your modem. Check your stats 10 minutes after you restart the modem. Post all the stats, including the CRC numbers for the upload and download. Thanks.

Lines normally connect at 2mbit (with disconnections every so often) with an attenuation of 60/33 roughly. That line has plenty of room for extra speed, so it might just be a case of the modem being glitchy or eircom have set the line speed wrong. I'll know more when I see the new set of stats.

and your a genius

and im a moran for not trying this earlier....

Downstream Upstream
    Rate (Kbps) : 1024 128
    SNR Margin (dB) : 14.5 23.0
    Attenuation (dB) : 45.0 25.0

....lol?

I have unplugged everything, including two sky boxes which are connected to the phone line but have never once been used.

• Advertisement

Thanks, most of those sort of problems can be treated with the same method, so no hard thought involved!

You have an awkward set of stats. You could go for 2 mbits with them and it would connect at 2048/256 but there's a chance it would disconnect every so often from a Signal Margin currently at 14. That will fall with a speed upgrade, and your line will be more vulnerable to electrical noise from streetlights, dodgy sparkplugs and thermostats for boilers etc.

A downgrade will cost you money (not sure how much, possibly €25) if the speed upgrade doesn't work out. Check up on that with eircom.

So it's your call really, the question you have to ask is if you need a constant, reliable connection for gaming or would rather double the speed to watch youtube videos or music and the likes, at a risk of disconnects here and there.

Btw, as you have multiroom sky, they will start sending you out not-so-nice letters if you leave the boxes disconnected from the line. You see, periodically they call sky to confirm their continued presence in your house. It stops people using multiroom to share sky cheaply with neighbours. Put a filter on each sky box and that should keep your line stable.

oh, yes I do use for it gaming! xbox live and PC so that may be a problem
    I have already rang them and they said the line can support up to 3 megs!!!!

I am going to take a chance, and see how it works, its possible I wont get the 2 megs anyway and IF it does effect me playing cod4 it will have to go! :)

thanks once again

Good good. Let us know how it goes!

Don't believe eircom staff on what they say as they accepted a 2mbit order off my neighbour despite the fact the line was marked as "amber" and therefore was only capable of 1mbit maximum

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Good stuff. \o/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭nilhg

Ri_Nollaig wrote: »

Downstream Upstream
    Rate (Kbps) : 1024 128
    SNR Margin (dB) : 14.5 23.0
    Attenuation (dB) : 45.0 25.0

....lol?

I have unplugged everything, including two sky boxes which are connected to the phone line but have never once been used.

If these stats are from a netopia box I would take them with a grain of salt
    mine seem to go up and down for no reason but the connection is usually rock steady, my attenuation figures are almost exactly the same as yours and I have no problem with 3MB/384Kb

• Advertisement
Advertisement