Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General advice?

Options
  • 10-06-2008 1:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭

Hi

I am hoping to go to UCD in september

I was just hoping someone could give me a couple of pointers about what to do first when i get there.

thanks,
    john

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

too vague imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 625 ✭✭✭princess-sprkle

is run out the main gate screaming, never to return, too harsh? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭the evil lime

1. Find your building
    2. Find the Admin building
    3. Find the bars
    4. Read the Fresher's guide, it'll tell you what things are really called (the building name signs'll lie to you), a bit about the societies etc.
    5. Actually go to at least one of the IT tutorials and pick up your free USB key
    6. Join up with a few clubs and societies, go to at least one event each of the interesting ones is running (you'll join about 20, you'll actually be interested in about 5)
    7. Go on one of the early course night outs, get to know the people in your class, you'll be dealing with them for the next three years (I didn't do this, wish I had)

errr... that's all I can think of for now.

It can be hard in the beginning, the place is huge, you may not know anyone. Most people are in the same position. You can get to know people through your classes, but if you're in Arts or Science or another large degree, the clubs and societies may be a better bet. At least you know you have a common hobby or interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭cHaTbOx

Im doing science and I couldnt get to the open day this because of PI's
    and im coming up all the way from monaghan ,so i have got no idea what to do first when i get up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

Get pissed with your class asap

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

and im coming up all the way from monaghan ,so i have got no idea what to do first when i get up there.

Does that mean you're applying for campus? If so you'll probably* get it. On your first evening walk around UCD, realise its a 10 min walk to the Science block, find out where the shops are, go home, talk to your roommates.

*Not taking my word for law

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

Acquire six pack, sit in square till moved. Try and find a party. Laugh at the RAs running around like headless chickens due to all the firsties thinking that they have 'free gaffs' as opposed to renting accomodation. Return home. Wake up and realise you are in the lower bowels of hell.

Repeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭IrishKnight

You'll be put in a group of other people from science and the mentor will show you around the buildings and what not. This will be done within the first few days. You'll tend to stay around with the people in your group for a while until you get onto your feet.

If you need any help give me a PM and I can answer questions, after all I've just finished my first year of science.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭lizzyvera

Yup, you'll have peer mentors to get you to know a random group of people. You'll have mandatory labs for about 12 hours a week where you're doing practical work with people and you can chat the whole time, and science has a nice friendly feel so you get to know all the people who actually come into college quickly, and if you're on campus you meet tonnes of people there too.

Other than that, best place to shop every week or two is Lidl in Dean's Grange, just get the 46A.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

lizzyvera wrote: »

Other than that, best place to shop every week or two is Lidl in Dean's Grange, just get the 46A.

Good plan that...

And you also get to play with liquid nitrogen :)

• Advertisement

lizzyvera wrote: »
    Yup, you'll have peer mentors to get you to know a random group of people. You'll have mandatory labs for about 12 hours a week where you're doing practical work with people and you can chat the whole time, and science has a nice friendly feel so you get to know all the people who actually come into college quickly, and if you're on campus you meet tonnes of people there too.

gubbie wrote: »
    Good plan that...

And you also get to play with liquid nitrogen :)

Thanks Guys :)

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Tea-a-Maria

I'm also planning to go to UCD in September to study Law with History.Anyone here a law student?My school guidance counsellor was a bit rubbish,so any info about the course or about law in UCD in general would be much appreciated.Thanks.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭spaceylou

if you can at all go to the orientation days and get the campus tour, will seem a bit pointless at the start but if UCD is totally new to you, it is handy to have someone pointing out where the key buildings are like science block, admin building, restaurant, bar, students centre etc etc etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭Inglorious

I'm also planning to go to UCD in September to study Law with History.Anyone here a law student?My school guidance counsellor was a bit rubbish,so any info about the course or about law in UCD in general would be much appreciated.Thanks.:)

Just finished my first year of law in UCD. So yeah, feel free to PM me any questions you have (I don't want to hijack this guy's thread).

Inglorious wrote: »
    Just finished my first year of law in UCD. So yeah, feel free to PM me any questions you have (I don't want to hijack this guy's thread).

It's Ok.It's called general advice and If You could ,I think having as much advice as possible on it would be helpful :)

Advertisement