Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Million Dollar Raw (Spoilers)

• 10-06-2008 2:22am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭

If you haven't watched it yet then I'd recommend that you check out Vince's first call to a contestant in the money giveaway. It was great stuff. Just watch it before you read ahead!
    Vince got rickrolled!

It's all downhill from here

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Have to say I've found the money giveaway far more entertaining than I expected.

Wow, Trips was fairly buryin Cena on the commentary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

I dunno, the people receiving the calls where they are told they have just won a bunch of cash seem pretty subdued I think. "You just won $200,000" "oh that's nice, thank you very much". Hardly exciting, and I know they have said it's not an angle but it does seem pretty dodgy to me.

HHH has been bigging Cena up big time on the commentary I think, calling him the strongest person he has ever been in the ring with and saying he has the same kind of heart as Rocky Balboa, hardly burying him imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Here's a vid I just found on Youtube. (Probably won't last long)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cykd8lyk0w

You sure that wasn't set up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

Here's a vid I just found on Youtube. (Probably won't last long)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cykd8lyk0w

You sure that wasn't set up?

I've been thinking that it might all be set up, but they're wasting so much time with dial tones and busy signals that I don't think it is. If it was a work they'd be able to just get through with it all easily

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

orestes wrote: »
    I dunno, the people receiving the calls where they are told they have just won a bunch of cash seem pretty subdued I think. "You just won $200,000" "oh that's nice, thank you very much". Hardly exciting, and I know they have said it's not an angle but it does seem pretty dodgy to me.

HHH has been bigging Cena up big time on the commentary I think, calling him the strongest person he has ever been in the ring with and saying he has the same kind of heart as Rocky Balboa, hardly burying him imo

Sarcasm son :)

Don't think the Rick Rolling incident was a set-up. Feel sorry for whoever missed the call. Sickner :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

amacachi wrote: »
    Sarcasm son :)

Don't think the Rick Rolling incident was a set-up. Feel sorry for whoever missed the call. Sickner :p

D'oh! :o

I dunno, the whole thing still feels a little bit set up to me. The winners reactions just seem so fake.

And screw the money thing for a minute, Y2J heel turn for a run with HBK, this is gonna be awesome!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

orestes wrote: »

I dunno, the whole thing still feels a little bit set up to me. The winners reactions just seem so fake.

How can you hear them? In the few clips I just saw, they played music over the person each time they won.

To me, this is real and at least looking at it in youtube clip form (and not watching all 2 hours of it), it's tremendous crash tv!

Here's a more clear video clip of 1 of the callers: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdMj10s6nYw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

From that clip why does he sound like Stephen Hawkings, screams of set up to me, I mean have you ever listened to the radio station and they give the person the latest Madonna CD and the person starts jumping around their living screaming "OH MY GOD THIS IS THE HAPPIEST DAY OF MY LIIIIFFFFFEEEEEEE!" Well I would expect the people winning $200,000 should be quite excited.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Perhaps he is a millionaire already. Rickrolled, lol

Reganio 2 wrote: »
    From that clip why does he sound like Stephen Hawkings, screams of set up to me, I mean have you ever listened to the radio station and they give the person the latest Madonna CD and the person starts jumping around their living screaming "OH MY GOD THIS IS THE HAPPIEST DAY OF MY LIIIIFFFFFEEEEEEE!" Well I would expect the people winning $200,000 should be quite excited.

They never gave him a chance. They played music over him, although he seemed quite a calm guy!

Jiim Ross was great in that clip too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

I think you would have heard him screaming in the background if he did say anything. I will give the E the benifit of the doubt and just put that as a once off and the guy was just a freak.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Such a trainwreck

Reganio 2 wrote: »
    I think you would have heard him screaming in the background if he did say anything. I will give the E the benifit of the doubt and just put that as a once off and the guy was just a freak.

I dunno, I think I'd go into shock if I just Rick Rolled Vince McMahon twice on live television!

At least two of them were real excited. I don't think I'd get too excited if I won, gotta act cool on worldwide television!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

The guy who went "holy...****" when he found out he won the 250,000 hahaha.. the first caller had just said "hello" when vince hung up on him. luckily he rang the same guy again, its like he just had the rick astley playing instead of his ringtone :D

jericho FINALLY being really jealous and knocking micheals stupid crosseyes straight.. YES, only good part of raw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭EdK

Terrible Raw, spent buckets of time on the money while not giving blow-in fans a reason to watch after the money dries up, however if the WWE did an international fan give away for once it might be more interesting haha

• Subscribers Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭Brolly

EdK wrote: »
    Terrible Raw, spent buckets of time on the money while not giving blow-in fans a reason to watch after the money dries up, however if the WWE did an international fan give away for once it might be more interesting haha

Yeah, if they'd spare some thought for us poor edjits spending over €50 a month so we can watch the WWE on Sky Sports!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

RAW was absolutely terrible this week, all but two of the matches ended within four minutes, none of those matches were four minutes of excitement and the two matches that did go over four minutes were also awful. Jeff Hardy got crushed by Triple H and Cena/JBL wasn't that appealing the first time since the return of JBL never mind the forth(I Think).

Did you notice all the people he called answered the "Are you watching RAW" question the same way "Yes I am"? Just seemed odd. I don't think WWE faked it, if they were found out it would kill them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

brolly wrote: »
    Yeah, if they'd spare some thought for us poor edjits spending over €50 a month so we can watch the WWE on Sky Sports!:rolleyes:

Thats not true..I dont have Sky Sports just for WWE...Maybe its you thats just the eejit:p....Im shocked you spend €50 a month just to watch Wrestling!!!!....Sad impho:rolleyes:

The rating for Raw was a 3.0, apparently worse than what they were expecting. That would've been my first guess though. I'd say the giveaway will end within two weeks. That show could not have made people want to watch next week

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

The show did a 3.0 rating which is very bad. As they had to do a 6.0 if they were to recoup the million given away (6.0 was never expected by anyone btw.) Basicially Vince's big idea didnt change ratings. So lol.

Didn't they have a press release that said 650,000 people had signed up a few days ago? I'd say they were all people who watch Raw anyway. He is just giving money away for no reason. Watching people win a load of money just isn't a ratings draw in 2008

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

3.0? :D

Talk about an expensive stunt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

3.0? :d

Talk About An Expensive Stunt.

+1:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭EdK

Haha all those who entered the contest tuned in, everyone else turned off, Sucks to be you Vince with your bull**** ideas

Heres a new one put on a good wrestling show that REAL fans will give a **** about, yay!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Jimmy McMurtry

Rick Ashley/astley!?! 4 life

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

if they want to get higher ratings instead of money give away gimiks maybe they should try write proper storylines and make decent matches and make raw actually entertaining!.....just a thaught!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Gerard.C

What exactly is being "rick rolled"? I thought it was just yourmans answering machine? Other than that and the holy **** guy, Raw was desperately bad. Hopefully it will be better next week.

Gerard.C wrote: »
    What exactly is being "rick rolled"? I thought it was just yourmans answering machine? Other than that and the holy **** guy, Raw was desperately bad. Hopefully it will be better next week.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBGIQ7ZuuiU

Internet thing where you think you're clicking on a link for something and it turns out to be that video

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

this million dollar thing is a piece of crap

worse idea wwe had in a long time

the phone calls sound fake too ??

this million dollar thing is a piece of crap

worse idea wwe had in a long time

the phone calls sound fake too ??

They weren't totally fake, but the winners were told before Raw to stay by their telephones. So basically they already knew that they'd won something before they answered their phones on the show

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Fozzy wrote: »
    They weren't totally fake, but the winners were told before Raw to stay by their telephones. So basically they already knew that they'd won something before they answered their phones on the show

I would be unbelievably impressed if that guy set his phone up in the intervening time just to rick roll vince

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

from the sound of it, that guy just has the that song set up to play instead of the brrr brrr normal ring of a phone..

i mean it said "enjoy this music while your party answers the phone" etc♠

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Fozzy wrote: »

ya i was thinking that

like if i won 75 grand i would be shouting to the moon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭mehfesto2

ya i was thinking that

like if i won 75 grand i would be shouting to the moon

Unless they thought they'd won the whole 1m when the WWE rang them before the show. Only thing I can think of that'd explain it. That, or they were already loaded.

• Advertisement
Advertisement