Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marrying my Dutch girlfriend

Options
  • 10-06-2008 9:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 23

I am an American, here in Ireland, and wish to marry my Dutch girlfriend who has been a resident of Ireland for 19 years. May we marry in Northern Ireland? And, if so, what would this entail? I have two months before I must leave the country. After a long discussion with a Guardi Immigration officer, he recommended marriage even though Ireland does not recognise same sex marriage. We may go to Holland however, my girlfriend is not well, and less travel would be better.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Captain Ginger

Well:

United Kingdom
    Domestic partners can register under the Civil Partnership Act. This legislation took affect in December 5, 2005 giving registered same-sex couples all of the rights, privileges and responsibilities of married heterosexual couples. The Civil Partnership Act applies across all of England, Wales, Scotland, and Northern Ireland.

Hope that's helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭cotwold

Are you marrying so you can extend your visa in ireland?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I think there is a residency requirement in the North, so that's probably out, unless you move up there for a while.

Advertisement