Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Petrol and Diesel prices

Options
  • 10-06-2008 9:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭

Diesel in particular is sky rocketing.

Then I read that Exxon had profits last year of $40.6 BILLION DOLLARS! That's just the profit. Turnover must be in the Trillions.

F**KING HELL! I can only assume that the other oil companies are doing the same. How are they able to get away with that? It is completely obvious that the current high oil prices are nothing whatsoever to do with high demand, poor supply or any other rubbish like that. They have realised that no matter how high the price goes, vast numbers of people will continue to buy their oil. So, they deliberately restrict supply to ensure the price stays high.

What galls me is that various businesses are losing the fight against increasing costs and are downsizing or potentially closing completely with the obvious impact on job security.

Of course, this is the slimy underbelly of the corporate world, but what can we do to reverse the cycle and take the money back out of the oil execs pocket?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Of course, this is the slimy underbelly of the corporate world, but what can we do to reverse the cycle and take the money back out of the oil execs pocket?

Stop using their products?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

How are they able to get away with that?

The oil companies budget for a certain percentage profit on turnover. If the wholesale price goes up and demand stays constant, turnover goes up, so profits go up.

I'm guessing you didn't pay attention in Bizzorg? :D

Advertisement