Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bloating

• 10-06-2008 10:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭

Can anyone give me any insight as to why after every single time i eat ANYTHING i bloat up ?????

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

heavyheart wrote: »
    Can anyone give me any insight as to why after every single time i eat ANYTHING i bloat up ?????
    heavyheart, can you give us more info? Do you mean absolutely anything even meat?

Personally I find that restricting carbs is the only way to combat this. I tend to eat more fish or meat with lots and lots of veg and little or no carbs.
    Also, avoid broccoli in salads as if it isn't cooked through it can give you awful cramps and bloating. I found this out first hand one day and was crippled with cramps.

Also, do you drink lots of water?

I think I've sussed it for me over the last six months - restrict carbs to a minimum, eliminate wheat completely or keep to absolute minimum (have been doing this for years now), lots of veg, meat and fish, avoid beer and very bitter green apples (they just gas me up totally). I also avoid mayonnaise or any sauce that may contain wheat.

For fibre I eat lots of dark green vegetables and prunes every morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

maybe post up your diet. If you leave long gaps between food this can happen. Try eating smaller meals more regularly perhaps?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭heavyheart

Basically anything ...
    This morning i had a banana and cereal and immediatley i bloated up afterwards..
    for lunch i just have a turkey or tuna or chicken salad and dinner would be fresh pasta with mince or meat and veg...
    Id love to try eating little and often but find that no.1 i end up spending a lot eating out no.2 i dont have the time during the day for it ...
    I find it next to impossible to cut out carbs , would they be the cause of the bloating ?

heavyheart wrote: »
    Basically anything ...
    This morning i had a banana and cereal and immediatley i bloated up afterwards..
    for lunch i just have a turkey or tuna or chicken salad and dinner would be fresh pasta with mince or meat and veg...
    Id love to try eating little and often but find that no.1 i end up spending a lot eating out no.2 i dont have the time during the day for it ...
    I find it next to impossible to cut out carbs , would they be the cause of the bloating ?
    Yes, carbs could be the cause but what type of carbs are you eating?
    As I said, I'm intolerant to wheat and can look like I'm pregnant if I eat too much of it so I just avoid it altogether.

I'd suggest cutting out wheat for a couple of weeks and see how you feel. If you still want to eat carbs then eat spelt - you can get spelt pasta in most health food shops and some superquinns sell spelt bread which is delicious.
    Aldi sell 100% rye bread but it's an acquired taste as it's quite bitter but it's lovely toasted with some melted cheese.

Cutting out wheat also means no sauces on your food, check that there's none in soup, no biscuits, cakes, pizzas or anything in pastry.

After two weeks re-introduce wheat and see if you notice a difference.

Unfortunately all this means that you'll have to plan your meals every day and make time to eat properly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 543 ✭✭✭mrsberries

Ive the same problem with bloating and have decided to try and reduce carbs. Have no idea how im going to do it as I seem somehow conditioned to believe i must eat bread/ spuds with all meals!!!

Heavyheart, you could even just learn to eat slower, not chew gum, give up fizzy drinks? Small but significant changes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34 gas_ticket

Bloating may be a sign of gluten intolerance. Gluten is in wheat, rye, barley, oats, and spelt, kamut and the other weird old versions of wheat.

Going on a wheat free diet may not show up the benefit you want. You might be better going gluten free (eat rice bread, or others like it, or gluten-free pastas, pizzas, and so on) stay off beer (barley = gluten) and take up whiskey vodka or wine. In moderation, of course!

Other signs of gluten intolerance can be found by looking up coeliac disease on the web. If there's a coeliac in the family then the chances of you being one are a lot greater (its genetic, at least 1% of our population are coeliacs)

Let us know how you get on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭sarz55

i had a problem with bloating a year ago. turned out it was a yeast allergy. i cut out all white bread/rice/carbs and the bloatedness stopped. whenever i eat white bread now i get the worst abdominal pains. best to avoid it completely.

gas_ticket wrote: »
    Bloating may be a sign of gluten intolerance. Gluten is in wheat, rye, barley, oats, and spelt, kamut and the other weird old versions of wheat.

Going on a wheat free diet may not show up the benefit you want. You might be better going gluten free (eat rice bread, or others like it, or gluten-free pastas, pizzas, and so on) stay off beer (barley = gluten) and take up whiskey vodka or wine. In moderation, of course!

Other signs of gluten intolerance can be found by looking up coeliac disease on the web. If there's a coeliac in the family then the chances of you being one are a lot greater (its genetic, at least 1% of our population are coeliacs)

Let us know how you get on.
    This is quite a drastic food elimination programme and if you're going to do it then you should go see a nutrionalist as you'll find it very difficult. I did it years ago and OMG I spent the whole time freezing and hungry in the middle of the summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Sometimes milk or whey makes me bloated and cramped,especially on an empty stomach.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

It doesnt in any way have to be a drastic food intake reduction to cut down carbs and wheat.
    Its easy to replace spuds that are high in carbs with Cauliflower, Broccoli, mange tout, carrots, parsnips etc. Meat is a staple in nearly every meal in any case so as long as you arent buying breaded fish or chicken you should be fine. Bread is hard to get rid of as a craving but every diet restriction has its accompanying cravings. Salads are great for filling you up without the accompanying carbs.
    You can eat all the lovely meat that you want, all the eggs, plenty of butter etc. and just remove the highly processed crap and carbs for your diet.
    The pasta is the bit I miss the most.

• Advertisement

The pasta is the bit I miss the most.
    Have you tried spelt pasta? It's great and almost as good as wheat pasta. It has the same texture. I find the corn or millet pasta very artificial tasting. You can get it in most health food shops and some italian food shops.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Have you tried spelt pasta? It's great and almost as good as wheat pasta. It has the same texture. I find the corn or millet pasta very artificial tasting. You can get it in most health food shops and some italian food shops.

High carb count though.
    Higher than Wheat Pasta I think.

High carb count though.
    Higher than Wheat Pasta I think.
    Oh isn't everything that tastes nice :(
    I only eat it very rarely and would only have a handful at a time as I'm used to not eating pasta now after 6 years so I find it very heavy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 984 ✭✭✭cozmik

Your mother was right when she told you to chew each mouthful at least 32 times. Digestion actually begins with chewing, since digestive enzymes are released in saliva. Moreover, good chewing eases the work of peristalsis, the constant churning action of your stomach and intestines. "Peristalsis changes its tempo with major dietary changes," Riley stresses, so the better you chew your food, the easier you can digest it and the less bloated you'll feel.

Another way to relieve bloating is to reduce the amount of air you swallow--so eat slowly and talk less while you eat. "Make meals as relaxed as possible," advises Riley.

On a larger scale, reducing your overall stress and getting plenty of exercise are ways to ensure good digestion for a lifetime. "The mind/body connection in the gut is well documented," Riley says. Mild exercise reduces stress, which disrupts the delicate balance of healthy gut flora and chemicals in the digestive system and actually leads to illness. That age-old wisdom of going for a walk after a meal truly works wonders, he adds.

Read the full article here: http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0820/is_2000_June/ai_62400405

Advertisement