Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are customs and excise getting stricter

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭sedohre

Hey pissed, did you follow this up? I'd be interested in knowing what happened

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

pissed wrote: »
    Ok got my duty/vat invoice yesterday from DHL.
    Customs import VAT @ rate 21.5 on decl value incl freight €85.14 = €18.31
    2% surcharge = €0.37

Who decides the declared value? Its listed on the packet from the sender as a value of $35. The total cost to me incl shipping before this was €67. Is this DHL picking figures out of a hat or is there an actual customs guy there instructing them on prices?

It doesn't matter what's listed on the outside, they will go by whatever is written on the invoice. If the total cost was €67 (incl shipping) then that is what you should pay VAT on. Were there duties involved?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Famous45

Have just got a delivery notice through from An Post, had items delivered from US, total cost is $180. There is a number code in the Registered /Insured No and then in charges it says 61E, surely I cannot be charged €61 for this?

Although I must add that no box is ticked under the "Charges are due for" section

• Company Representative Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Gamesnash.ie: Pat

Unfortunately you can be charged - with customs duty, excise duty and vat plus an admin charge €61 is about right. Bear in mind as well that the vat and duty can be levied at the Irish retail price and not the bargain US dollar price.

Thats what I didn't want to hear, thanks for the info anyway. Shocked to be honest, didn't expect I'd have to pay anything, was aware anything like this was in place, I've had goods delivered before from online poker firms via canada and never once had to pay anything, darn!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭darc

Unfortunately you can be charged - with customs duty, excise duty and vat plus an admin charge €61 is about right. Bear in mind as well that the vat and duty can be levied at the Irish retail price and not the bargain US dollar price.

They can't levy at Iriosh retail price as Irish retail already includes VAT & Duty. What they can do is if they believe that the value is undeclared they can apply a "reasonable" value to the goods. they would get this by checking any internet site.

€61 on $180 would be right if the following applied

$180 @ exchange = €138
    Delivery charge @ €35
    Duty @ 6.5% = €11
    VAT @ €40
    An Post charge €10

• Company Representative Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Gamesnash.ie: Pat

Sorry to clarify that the Irish pre VAT retail price was what I was referring to which would be subject to the vat and duty. :)

Didn't charge me anything :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

order off thinkgeek got stopped a cople of months ago. saw it's status on the tracking page and rang DHL who said it was in customs and would need extra to be paid.

i paid it by CC over the phone there and then and it still took 3 days, but they came through after that. €500 worth of stuff and over €200 worth of tax. :(

my g/.f is on a popular wedding forum (halp!) and she said that a lot of the girls there order their dresses from the US and just recently they've all been getting stopped and charged and sometimes they are stuck in customs for weeks and she's read about ones that don't even arrive in time for the wedding. :eek:

they seem to think it's got a lot worse than it used to be though, but i guess it's just another revenue stream for the govt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 darth darragh

Hello Im going to buy a few items from thinkgeek.com and i was wondering about the customs and VAT i might have to pay!

Its only clothes

One is a bag = $99
    shirt = $25
    Fleece = $49
    Tshirt = $ 20
    teddy $ 7.99

I either have UPS or DHL and they are both arounf 39 euros

Whats the deal, i dont want to pay huge customs, as i have no real money, ive saved forever for this. I dont want to get into trouble!

Please anyone?
    :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Its a case of how long is a piece of string.

Its entirely possible that you may get away without being charged- but the norm is VAT and Duty based on either the declared value (inclusive of shipping) or if they don't believe the declared value they have the right to open the package and put any value they choose on the goods- and you'd pay VAT and Duty on this then. (They do open a lot of the packages)

You've about $250 of clothing and apparel there- I'd definitely put EUR100 to one side- with any luck you mightn't have to pay it- but I'd make a working assumption that it may be somewhere in that ball park......

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Whats the deal, i dont want to pay huge customs, as i have no real money, ive saved forever for this. I dont want to get into trouble!
    I think it is likely you will be caught, and they do charge VAT on the postage/handling costs too. A mate of mine was charged on a used tatty "christmas jumper" before from ebay. Shops like that usually have easily checked invoices etc.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

rubadub wrote: »
    I think it is likely you will be caught, and they do charge VAT on the postage/handling costs too. A mate of mine was charged on a used tatty "christmas jumper" before from ebay. Shops like that usually have easily checked invoices etc.
    Not only that but both DHL and UPS declare it by default as I remember and as it needs to have value written on it it will almost guarantied be declared. So we're then talking 250 USD + 40 EUR shipping so around 250 EUR in total (no xe.com exchange rate course but rather something worse at 1.2 USD per EUR).

Now you're looking at a rough figure of around 70 to 80 EUR in VAT and charges I'd say so the 100 EUR figure by smccarrick is definitely what I'd put away.

Advertisement