Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new puppy

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭merryhappy

As I have said before www.cavaliertalk.com is worth a visit as all of the answers you will get on there will be from cavalier owners. Is the shake more like a shiver or a twitch?

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭mkdon05

merryhappy wrote: »
    As I have said before www.cavaliertalk.com is worth a visit as all of the answers you will get on there will be from cavalier owners. Is the shake more like a shiver or a twitch?

its mor of a shiver really. its not constant but it will happen the odd time here and there.

must go register on that site!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

What a sweetie!

Don't put her nose in her pee, etc. Mother dogs, the best trainers, don't do that.

If she's crying and crying, give her some warm milk at bedtime. (When my dog came here first I put a little dash of whiskey in the milk for a couple of nights and it knocked her out cold...)

If you want to train her to pee/poo in one place, bring her outside on her lead in the morning, and bring her over to where you want her to pee. When she does so, say "Do your pee" as she does it (or if you prefer, "supercalifragilisticexpialidocious" or "do it now", or whatever signal you want to use, or make a particular hand signal that you're going to use only for this).

When she finishes, give her a treat and praise.

Same with poo - when she poos, say a particular word or phrase, or use a particular hand gesture, as she does it, and then praise and treats.

She'll quickly come to associate the gesture or word with the action, and know that when you say that, she should pee or poo.

And if she starts to pee or poo, just say "Over here, Missy", and stand or point where you want her to do it. At first she won't know what you mean, but she'll quickly catch on, if she's used to being pointed to where to go for other things - games, etc.

As for chewing, a crate in the kitchen isn't a bad idea; my dog made a meal of the banisters, the fringe of the nice living-room rug, the plaster at the corner of a doorway, etc when she was little.

Keep reminding yourself that she's a baby, and she's learning sweetness and good manners from you.

I would keep a close eye on the shivering it could be something to do with fear, maybe shes not totally settled in to her new home, she is very young. If the shivering persists say it to the vet I persume she still has more vaccinations to get?

Also a further note on the toilet training, when we were training Holly we would say 'go to the toilet' while she was peeing so now when we let her out at night we just say 'go to the toilet' and she pees!

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭mkdon05

yea she has a trip to the vet due in 2 weeks for a booster vacc.
    We have been saying the toilet command as she has been going toilet and soimetime she will go when we tell her but not all the time, (prob just doesnt need to go at them times or isnt quite getting it yet)

again on another side note, i read that she should be wormed every 2 weeks. Is this just a case of getting her some tablets?

• Advertisement

Puppies 4-12 weeks need to be wormed every two weeks

12 weeks-6 months need to be wormed monthly

From 6 months upwards need to be wormed every three months

And yes its just a tablet. Don't buy it in the supermarket try to get milbemax or drontal.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

luckat wrote: »
    If she's crying and crying, give her some warm milk at bedtime. (When my dog came here first I put a little dash of whiskey in the milk for a couple of nights and it knocked her out cold...)

Dogs can't digest milk properly, most likely the pup will get diarrhea.

And as for whiskey ...I know this is Ireland, a nation of alcoholics ...but ffs poisoning your baby dog with alcohol for the sake of your own convenince is taking it a BIT far :mad:

Must go down and collect her from the pub, where she's leaning her elbow on the bar...

No, it's not funny at all.

Alcohol could kill your pup. No if's, but's or jokes about it.

She didn't get diarrhoea, she didn't get alcohol poisoning. She fell happily asleep. It wasn't a large amount of alcohol, and it was about a cup of milk.

• Advertisement

luckat wrote: »
    She didn't get diarrhoea, she didn't get alcohol poisoning. She fell happily asleep. It wasn't a large amount of alcohol, and it was about a cup of milk.

And so you think it is ok to pass this on as "good advice"?

Well, it isn't. It could all go terribly wrong with someone elses pup.

(My dog ran across the road the other day and nothing happend. Everybody, let your dogs run into the road, its harmless!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭luvlylady

Ah, she's adorable, looks just like my Mam's dog last year when she got her. She'll be 1 in July. She was relatively easily trained, Mam said it helped that we got her in summer because she was out the back mostly and got used to peeing in the grass. We only need ask her if she needs to go to the toilet and she'll run to the back door if she does. One thing about the King Charles, they shed a huge amount. We constantly have to have her blanket under her, in the house, the car, everywhere. She's great though, they have great personalities. Best of luck with her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭KhuntChops

As common as it is the "putting the pups nose in there pee" isvery harsh.

You wouldnt pick your child up by the scruff of the neck and stick there nose in there own pee for wetting the bed or not manging to get to the toliet on time.... Would you!

And just like above,would you give your 2,3 months old baby some whiskey to "Knock it out cold" A total disgrace. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

putting puppy's noses in it is stupid as they dont understand whats going on! just pick them up and put them out consistently till they put 2 and 2 together, putting the dogs nose in it takes its mind off this process and only makes it take longer..

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

cowzerp wrote: »
    putting puppy's noses in it is stupid as they dont understand whats going on! just pick them up and put them out consistently till they put 2 and 2 together, putting the dogs nose in it takes its mind off this process and only makes it take longer..

Exactly,
    can you imagine what fear you are putting into her(or him) when you associate peeing with nose being .........RUBBED......in it.
    l Think even you would hold your bladder untill it hurts.
    They are not so FAR away from humans when it comes to cruelty.........and that is what rubbing their nose in it is,
    That you will never have a proper bond with them means you will be the loser,
    PATIENCE............is a .VIRTUE,
    So hang in there and take heed of whats been said.
    Good Luck.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Preset No.3

This is worse than having kids. I have a 7 month old german shepard/collie cross. Had the balls done last month and he has calmed down a bit. He still gets fed twice a day with royal canin and get a daily denta stick. I have to be honest I love him but dont think I can take much more. Hes chewing EVERYTHING! The latest was he took a lump out of the wall at the front door, ripped off the letterbox guard, chewing his way through my alarm wires (now it wont set) and chewed the plastic handle of the radiator!

I have laid all places with anti dog spray and it doesnt work and there are plenty of toys or chew bones around the place! He gets walked for an hour everyday, even today when i was so pissed off with him!

Anyone got any ideas, because Im losing patience and he is doing real damage to my home!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭Discostuy

Sounds like a terror haha. Is he teething still or at 7 months would that be over??

Have you tried Kong's? get one in a pet shop and just stuff it everyday with all sorts of stuff...apples, carrots, ice cubes...works wonders for my two.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Preset No.3,
    If it's really causing problems and you're not coping, look into dog trainers. There are some that do classes, and some will come out to your home for a session. I'm sure they can help get you on the right track.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Ruby-J

the raw hide bones are BRILLIANT for keeping chewing dogs occupied. ive made a deal of buying a load of them and give them to my 6 month old pup and she chews on them. she initially chewed a bit of the door frame in the kitchen and i immediately sought advice. always have something for them to chew on and ive found that the raw hide or pigs ears (in moderationas theyre salty) work a treat.

Advertisement